Kydex repair

So, in my time on the internet I've seen little or nothing about how to fix or patch Kydex or similar thermoplastic acrylic-polyvinyl chloride weaves like IPK.

I didn't even know if it was practically possible. So, of course, I decided to try.

Now, I did this repair 31 days ago, taking photos and writing out my thoughts as I did it. I've resisted posting any of it until now because this was all useless information until some sort of durability could be demonstrated across daily use. Well, after one month of constant (and sometimes downright harsh) use, I've decided I can at least apply the label of "preliminary results."

What follows is what I recorded a month ago:
I wore this holster basically every day for 18 months until this crack got to be a bit too much for me to keep going.

I could have returned the holster under lifetime warranty for repair (a replaced Kydex shell, I assume) or replacement, because FoxX holsters is a really great company. But rather than cut into their bottom line just because they stand behind their awesome products, I purchased a second holster for the same weapon, this time from another company I'd also come to respect (RB Holsters).

Now it's a year later and I'm noticing that second holster developing a crack at the same point. Time to either send this in for a replacement... or find out if I can repair it myself.

I like the sound of the latter.
I carry for Kitty Genovese.

Re: Kydex repair

More from a month ago:
I've used Loctite Plastic Bonder before, and it's incredible stuff. If anything readily available on the consumer market can patch Kydex, my money's all on it.

Kydex is a composite of acrylic and PVC, and Plastic Bonder epoxy (acrylic-based itself) is rated for both. So far so good.

My only concern is how little an area it's going to be interacting with. Can it be strong enough to get the job done? Only time will tell.

But even if it's not strong enough to last indefinitely, if it stands up to the task for more than a couple of months, at least it should mean that the holster will just crack where it has already. This could spare the Kydex from cracking further, so that keeping the holster in working order becomes a matter of routine maintenance rather than routine replacement.

A quick but important note: These two products are not the same. The "Plastic" epoxy is sold at Walmart, Home Depot, and maybe some others in place of "Plastic Bonder."

The former is not even listed on Loctite's website. It cures more quickly and is rated to slightly lower pressures. The most important difference to me is this: "Plastic" doesn't do well on Nylon and Nylon-like plastics. Which make up some of the most important plastics you may need to work with, particularly in the firearms world.

OK, on with the repairs...

I work with Loctite's Plastic Bonder outdoors and with nitrile gloves on. It sets via a pungent exothermic reaction, so I really don't want to be breathing indoors with it doing its thing.

I stuck a couple pieces of paper under the Kydex to protect the leather, mixed up a small amount of the epoxy with a popsicle stick on a section of cardboard, and then used a toothpick to apply it to both jagged edges of the break. Was careful to make sure it covered both edges thoroughly.

Then I smushed the edges together tightly and gently kept them in place with a clamp. Applied a bit more over the exterior with a cotton swab and smoothed it out with the same. The instructions say Plastic Bonder should be left undisturbed for 60 minutes, so that's how long I left it outside.

Full strength is achieved by the 24-hour mark. I did this yesterday, so today I'm packing heat in this holster again.

Let's see how long it holds up, shall we?
Well, it's been one month since I started using the holster daily again on September 10. And the repair has held up perfectly so far.

I'll plan to post updates whenever the repair starts to break down.

Nice write up. Given the spot where both of the companies holsters have cracked, you might want to let them know, even if you're not sending it in for repair, as it seems to be a weak point in the design.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Good point.

I think what puts so much strain on that one spot is reholstering while wearing the thing. With a holster that holds the weapon so tight to the body, it's natural to stick the muzzle in slightly from the side and then push down so the weapon finds its place.

Chances are that if I didn't have to enter "gun-free zones" so many days, the holster would last indefinitely. As it is, I've started practicing reholstering while "chicken winging" my elbow so that I put less strain on the holster.