Review- Lewis Lead Remover kit

I picked up a kit from ebay for 44 caliber. I shoot nearly all lead in 44 special and magnum, because I'm cheap like that.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-c ... 21587.aspx

It's a simple set of pieces that will cost you a little over $30. The barrel-shaped plug is sized by caliber so you have to get one for each size. Brownells sells the plug by itself for $11-12 and I plan to get one for both 32 & 38/9mm.

I cleaned a pair of SW 44s I've shot for years and only cleaned with a bore snake. I didn't think it would pull much out but it did. You insert the handle and rod through the barrel then screw in the plug wrapped in a light screen. I dribbled in some Hoppes. Pull the plug the length of the barrel and bingo! It looked like pencil shavings made of lead coming out. I did this 3-4 times before no more came out. I followed up the lead removal with a bore snake and the bores look like sterling silver.

There's an attachment that works like a forcing cone cutter but it's only a screen buffer for the cone. I did both guns and didn't see any lead removed from there. I guess if you have lead smeared there you've got another problem going on, Bearrr.

In short- works like a charm! A little pricey for what it is but what can you do? I read pipe cleaning screens will also fit the set up and are a fraction of the cost of Brownells replacements.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Review- Lewis Lead Remover kit

I got discouraged by the caliber-specific bits and special screens as well as the lack of local availability so I cheeped out and went with Chore Boy with a Flitz chaser.

Glad you like it, though. Maybe I'm missing out.....
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I've used copper scrubbers and brushes but this tops them all. I wish I could have taken decent shots with the cell phone but no-go.

I wonder how I can really cleanse the Henry barrel. I shoot Mach 1 lead all the time with it. I was reading up on how lead build up can eventually cause enough of an obstruction to cause pressure spikes, especially if you shoot a jacketed bullet through it that is less apt to resize itself on the way out.

Interesting about your Henry. I used to shoot some seriously hot loads through my Henry, as in H110 loads with my own soft bullets, and hard commercial cast bullets, and I saw very little leading. And just in case I was wrong, I ran tight patches (with a rod, not a snake) using JB Bore paste after doing the copper-wrapped brush treatment. Saw very little lead come out with the Chore Boy Sure. The JB Bore paste came out black for the first few, then clean after than.

I'm pretty sure that bore just never got that lead-ey.

Have tried Flitz? I mean after you've done the main cleaning? Especially now with the Lewis cleaner.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Cork on each end of the barrel, solution is only in the barrel so the rod running through the cork is the cathode. If you submerged it then it would likely strip the blueing for sure

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I pulled out a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel that looked like an old man's arteries and figured it would be a good test of this thing. I squirted a little Goof-off http://www.goofoffproducts.com/
down the barrel to loosen the plaque and pulled. The red rubber barrel piece that forms the screen tore right up. That is that. I don't know if the Goof-off ruined the rubber or the lead was too heavily caked but it is gone.

I was thinking of getting rubber barrels for different calibers but at $10+ each and the life span of a fruit fly I may have to pass. :thumbdown: