Pine Tar on Beech/Garand experiment

Beech has this great feature, the fish scales. I have a Garand with a sweet main stock of beech--pic below for comparison--but it has walnut hand guards that don't match. This caused me to undertake some research projects.

I bought some pine tar for horse's hooves at the local feed store. I got a George Foreman ElectricTwo-sided Broiler Grill for two bucks at the local yard sale, where I also picked up a large bread pan for a quarter. Some beech stocks and parts were donated to my over zealous experimental cause by a bud on another board (when the experiment is fully concluded, I'll make a final post for there). I was ready.

I cut the pine tar by 25% with odorless mineral spirits, and I put the hand guards in the bread pan, covered them with the thinned pine tar and brought the mixture to a steaming barely simmer with the George Foreman grill, in my back yard. I kept taking them out and putting them back, as they absorbed just so much and stopped.

As it so happens, I could not fit the large stock part into the bread pan. Because I noted the hand guards stopped absorbing, I reasoned I could get the goo boiling and apply it to the stock that had been warmed in the sun, then use a heat gun to drive penetration. That's what I did.

This doesn't quite show the deep color, but it shows that the three pieces match, despite the two different techniques.

Here's a better idea of how the fish scales come out under the technique.

With my Garand of Gnarl, the Danes dyed the wood pretty deep, so to match that one I'm going to have to experiment with another set of hand guards I have. I'm also going to get the metal for the other beech stock so I can have different Garands to go with the season. I figure he'd wear dark clothing in the winter and light clothing in the summer.

Winter:

See? He needs another suit because reasons...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Pine Tar on Beech/Garand experiment

I ran across a post on another forum when looking for info on French Red, about how BLO was the cats meow, and the best thing since sliced bread for military rifles. Including a long detailed post on why you should use it . it was posted back in 2009. The author, CD fingers. Lol

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

By the way, I ran past Arts Gun Shop in Hillsboro mo. On my way to my dads yesterday and picked up some french red. Its only $10 a can , while elsewhere gets $16 + $11 to ship. For 8 ounces ?
Art is the only one who makes French Red with the Herters old recipe. Also clear and walnut colored.

Art, the same guy who worked at browning repair in Arnold mo for 30 years, retired , started his own repair show focusing on A5's, and whose you tube videos Ive posted here.
They also has 6 , belgium short hair Shepard's that great you as you pull up. To their shop way out in the middle of nowhere.. Friendly well trained puppies too.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:I ran across a post on another forum when looking for info on French Red, about how BLO was the cats meow, and the best thing since sliced bread for military rifles. Including a long detailed post on why you should use it . it was posted back in 2009. The author, CD fingers. Lol
Ah, sweet. From my pre-pine tar days. I am growing as a woodworker, still. I don't think that process will ever stop.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack