Making a Mauser Scout

I have a Zastava M48 (Yugo Mauser 98k) that I am looking to scope out.
I know nothing about scopes or guns smithing, so I am simply looking for basic and inexpensive stuff - I'll get some more complicated super sniper scope later.
For a mount I was looking at this contraption for scoping ( https://www.badacetactical.com/products ... cope-mount ), but am unsure because I would like to still be able to use the iron sights as well.
So, can any of you wise shooters tell me if you have any experience with this sort of thing? Have you done this before? Have you used the Bad Ace Mount, or know someone who has? What kind of scope to I set my sights on (pun!)? Almost all info is good info. Danke. :thanks: :thanks:
Q: What is the bigger threat to America; ignorance, or apathy?
A: I don't know, and I don't care.

Re: Making a Mauser Scout

It looks like that mount requires you to remove the rear sight.

You may want to look into a receiver side mount for a scope. Some are offset to the side and a bit high to preserve use of the irons.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12125 ... inum-matte

This would also be a more period appropriate mount. Ideally you would find a scope that would look like the zeiss scopes found on K98 rifles...

I've considered this for a 91 Mauser that I'm building. I have a vintage Lyman scope that I could use. Not likely though, since I'm not to keen on drilling holes into a 120 year old receiver of questionable strength.

best of luck!

:beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

The rear sight on the 98's comes off real easy. The mount uses the holes left over. That one might use a set screw against the sight mount to keep it steady.

Scouts are really neat because you can see around the scope if you're using it for hunting. As long as your head is consistent, scouts are great. But the head movement is significant due to the distance between eye and scope. Fun, though.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I've scout scoped few rifles a K31 and M39 standout as turning into tack drivers . it was a while back you could get decent Chinese 2x-7x pistol scope for about $40 .. and yes remove the rear sight type mounts..
What you got to ask yourself.. what are you going to use the rifle for ? Mostly I use milslurps for range shooting.. nothing critical, not hunting, not self defense, and I usually had a spare scope if something happened to the mounted one or a spare rifle if I hadn't got enough shooting in for the day.. and the range is only a short drive.

Not that I have ever had a scope fail on me, except once on a CETME

Using the original sights is not that big of a deal unless you are going to put all your eggs on one gun and I seldom go to the range with less than 4

If it was a way out in the woods far far away $k's on a hunting tip .. once in a life time tags I would sweat the back up sight thing.. but for what I do with milslurps and my reluctance to even take them out in the rain .. it isn't a big deal for me.. if I ever lost scope I would just get another one and if I didn't get enough shooting in .. I'd just go again the next day and shoot my fill

Alabama. Baby! 72 public ranges for the cost of a $16 hunting license, unless you are over 65 then they are free.

Don't know what your situation is or intentions for the rifle .. but that was my experience and thinking on the subject

it's your rifle to do with as you please .. but know it really hurts the resale value if you start making permanent modifications .. and unless you are really into collecting that type of Rifle and know if it just happens to be a common, not so common, or rare variant or why or what makes it one , you run the risk of screwing up a possible highly desirable and collectable piece.. yeah 95% of the time it is going to be about as common as dirt and less than 0.1% the time the find of a life time... but that remaining 4.9% of the time it could be something in the 2x-10x value.. and that is common enough to make collectors cry if you drill it.

That's the thing with milslurps.. IMHO if you are getting one just for fun, or because they are cheap, or a truck gun, or to cut up or cut down, why not research it well enough to find out if you struck gold or maybe just silver.. you could sell it on to collector and then buy another with the proceeds and end up with cash left over ... I would say a 1 in 20 chance of coming out with at least a free rifle ... just saying

With Mausers I know folks who collect the same model over and over because they want one dated for each year they were made ,some folks by factory code, trying to get one from each factory that made them in a particular time frame... never know unless you make the effort to find out what you got.
Last edited by Sarge on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My normal go-to 'deer gun' is a Mauser, we looked at the various mounts prior to it's initial build but we decided to just go with a standard conventional drill & tap mount.

There are other scope mounts that replace the rear sight but those mostly use a long eye relief/ pistol scope.

I would be a little concerned with that mount's stability not being able to take full advantage of a scope's capability.
A red dot would make more sense if using a mount that replaces the rear sight. (but that's just me)

https://www.thumbknuckle.beer
https://www.facebook.com/ThumbKnuckleBrewingCo/

I've used that style of mount before, if not that exact brand. They work pretty well if designed right, hold zero without moving around (blue loctite however, is definitely your friend) and do no real permanent damage. They can mark up the finish where the set screws grip onto the rear sight however. For a range gun? I wouldn't stress the loss of backup sights. Heck, only on a couple of rifles do I still have irons after putting glass on them- but if it's something that needs to be usable no matter what, a different mount may be a better way to go. The pistol scope or red dot are both good recommendations. Depending on budget, a Vortex Spitfire prism is a nice piece of equipment, I just moved to one a few months back due to the astigmatism in my eye causing a bit of a starburst for me. Plus it's useable with or without batteries.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

These are some fantastic answers!
The general purpose of this endeavor is for hunting and making long range shots - combat if necessary. I want to retain the iron sights because I like them and I try not to keep all my eggs in one basket, but if they have to go, than oh well. I also do not like the notion of screwing new holes in surplus rifles, but than, it is Zastava and not a Deuscht mauser. I am always willing to compromise on more pragmatic solutions to a problem.
I am ignorant as to what a pistol scope is, I will admit. I shall do some more research. Keep the info coming.
Oi!

Gunwale wrote:These are some fantastic answers!
The general purpose of this endeavor is for hunting and making long range shots - combat if necessary. I want to retain the iron sights because I like them and I try not to keep all my eggs in one basket, but if they have to go, than oh well. I also do not like the notion of screwing new holes in surplus rifles, but than, it is Zastava and not a Deuscht mauser. I am always willing to compromise on more pragmatic solutions to a problem.
I am ignorant as to what a pistol scope is, I will admit. I shall do some more research. Keep the info coming.
Oi!

This is what I mean, folks collect, let's say K98 variants, made in different countries Deuscht, Zastav, Gustav, Brno, Radom, Obendorf , Państwowa Fabryka Karabinów , DWM of course, Sig, FN ... the list goes on .. Husqvarna, "La Coruna"'s, Erma, Suhl, Borsigwalde, Steyr... oh God and when you get to the South American mausers.. I have never met a snobbier group of folks in my life

Sarge wrote:
Oi!

This is what I mean, folks collect, let's say K98 variants, made in different countries Deuscht, Zastav, Gustav, Brno, Radom, Obendorf , Państwowa Fabryka Karabinów , DWM of course, Sig, FN ... the list goes on .. Husqvarna, "La Coruna"'s, Erma, Suhl, Borsigwalde, Steyr... oh God and when you get to the South American mausers.. I have never met a snobbier group of folks in my life
Would you be so kind as to elucidate? Are you saying that I am a snob for not wanting to fuck too much with one rifle that I have?
I do not and cannot collect any type of weapon, I just want the one that have to be well-rounded, and have some resale value in the event the family needs money. I have no use to collect any relic from any past area just to sit somewhere to collect dust, and brag about it when people come over. I prefer not to retain too many objects that lack utility value. I am am trying to improve the ability of this rifle, and I have asked for this sight's member's help because I know little about the topic. If you want to shit talk people, go to AR 15.com

The original iron sights will do that with practice. They're definitely lighter and more durable than any scope.

The notion of the "scout rifle" puts the scope forward of the action, which demands a scope with long eye relief. That's the sort of scope otherwise used on pistols. The idea is that a forward mounted low-powered scopemakes for very quick visual pickup and also allows the use of stripper clips for rapid loading of the gun from the top.

Personally, I think that long relief scopes may have been a fine idea when the concept was coined, but that modern optics have changed quite a bit since that time. I think that maybe the original purpose would be best served by a non-magnifying optic like a red dot. A heads-up type sight (like a Leupold deltapoint) on the rear receiver bridge might be excellent.

Gunwale wrote:
Sarge wrote:
Oi!

Would you be so kind as to elucidate? Are you saying that I am a snob for not wanting to fuck too much with one rifle that I have?
I do not and cannot collect any type of weapon, I just want the one that have to be well-rounded, and have some resale value in the event the family needs money. I have no use to collect any relic from any past area just to sit somewhere to collect dust, and brag about it when people come over. I prefer not to retain too many objects that lack utility value. I am am trying to improve the ability of this rifle, and I have asked for this sight's member's help because I know little about the topic. If you want to shit talk people, go to AR 15.com
WTF? I clearly said it is your weapon to do with as you please. and I am also saying that there is a remote possibility that it may be worth significantly more than you paid for it.. Collecting is not just buying a firearm and letting it get dusty.. it is finding collectable firearms for your collection and for other folk's collections that might have something you want.. sometimes money sometimes another rifle of a type you collect and swapping things around so you have a collection of lots of firearms to let get dusty and brag about.

Yugoslavia is not in South America .. and I only ever use the term snob in association with collectors of South American Mausers .. and that is an inside joke at any rate, just in case there were any other collectors here that know the joke
jeeze louise relax, do what you want with it , it's your rifle

But were you I, I would check to see if it was worth multiples of what I paid for it, if it is, flip it and get another of the same rifle with the proceeds and then modify, but with dollars ahead in your pocket, .. I have dang near paid for my collection doing exactly that.. I never seem to come out ahead dollar wise because I keep buying more for my collection or swapping with other collectors .. but I, at this point, in dollar terms, have got about 2/3rds of my rifles for "free" and have pointed other collectors to finds that made them happy, and they often return the favor when they run across rifle they can't get to, to buy, or can't afford to buy themselves that would be of interest to me.. The profit being in friendships made.

jeeze, never mind, you are welcome

This is worse than trying to tell folks about silver dimes...

Marlene wrote: I think that maybe the original purpose would be best served by a non-magnifying optic like a red dot. A heads-up type sight (like a Leupold deltapoint) on the rear receiver bridge might be excellent.
I had a chance to shoot an M1 Garand with a Delta point rear sight and it was excellent! Only problem is the Leupold Red dot might cost more than the Yugo mauser..

You may be able to find a "sporterized" mil surp rather cheaply. Getting an old battle rifle that has already been changed from it's original condition gives you a free hand to do what you want, if you are inclined to tinker. I have picked up Marlene's habit of looking for cheap, aesthetically abused milsurp rifles with good bones and transforming them into unique pieces. It's great fun to rescue an old warhorse after it's encounter with Bubba...

best of luck..
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.