Re: How To Make a Leather Concealed Carry Holster

Ok kiddos, thanks for hanging in the whole way. Last steps are going to be liberal application (<-- see what i did there) of the special sauce, burnishing the edges, then final application of edge coat.

Special sauce and burnishing tool;

For those of you not in the know, "burnishing" is leather-speak for "rubbing until its shiny". The goal here is to get the edges nice and polished and slicked up. Notice the burnishing tool has several grooves of differing widths to accommodate different thicknesses. find the one that is the closest to the size of your work piece. This tool plus the gum traga..whateverthefuck, is a huge improvement over what we used to use, which was water and a piece of deer antler. Progress!

After we are burnished out (like Sanders after the primary, hey-o!), lets edge black this baby;

And the other side;

And that is a wrap. Let it dry, then your ready to put in your pants, where it will hopefully stay until your next IDPA match. Time for a victory lap;

Thanks for reading and for all the comments, I do love the craft. Also PM if you have need of holster, I am very reasonable and open to trades of all kinds. I think my next project is going to be AR-15 mag pouches, so stay tuned.

One more shameless plug for the LGC podcast, please give it a listen, new episode comes out around the first of the month. Go see the club discussion thread and find the google drive, you can contribute content; https://lgcpodcast.podbean.com/mf/play/ ... CPCEP1.mp3
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

I love this detailed how to. I remember back in the day when my son was in Boy Scouts and I went to camp with him. I passed some time in the leather working cabin and remember the feel of wet leather and how it stamped and so on. This is a great addition to the podcast because there are a lot of DIY types out there in firearms land. Since the Giants may not make it to the Series this year :roflmao: , a project like this has great promise in my state--except for Dodgers fans, who might, just might, get to go 8-) .

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Bang wrote:I've been thinking of using a shoulder rig, but I guess watching Good Eats rubbed off on me a little too much, because I have a hard time justifying the extra cost of leather shoulder straps that do only one thing. Have you ever made a shoulder rig, and would you consider doing a how to for that?
I have a stainless 1911 that is begging for leather shoulder rig, the classic style with a dual mag pouch on the opposite side. Never made one before.

Challenge accepted!
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

SpaceRanger42 wrote:Your work surface is a marble grave stone?
They are fairly easy to find and are a good size. They appear to be stored a lot in open fields. Some are even personalized.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Bang wrote:I've been thinking of using a shoulder rig, but I guess watching Good Eats rubbed off on me a little too much, because I have a hard time justifying the extra cost of leather shoulder straps that do only one thing. Have you ever made a shoulder rig, and would you consider doing a how to for that?
You guys are in for a treat- my trade to the Klown for the work he did on my AK stock

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201802 ... 7d5e62.jpg[/img]

Is a dual shoulder rig for his 1911s. I will document the process, as it is going to be my magnum opus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

321FLSurfer wrote:
Marlene wrote:This is an excellent thread. Thank you!
Thank you! I been meaning to holler at you about that chiseling habit you acquired. They look an awful lot like some of the stamps I use for leather work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. There’s definitely a design overlap between western/Mexican silver carving and leather carving, and those flowers I’ve been doing are based on a pretty traditional Mexican style sequence of cuts. Even though I’m not doing the traditional bright cut style that usually goes with it, the bones of the sequence show through.