DIY Reactive Targets

Because I have some free time here and there, but far less money allocated to reactive targets. I can bang out about 35-40 targets in 45 minutes (including setup and dry time) now that I have the assembly-line system down. Been wanting to share these somewhere for a while; looking for improvements I haven't thought of and/or to provide an effective financially feasible target idea.

Pictured process:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: DIY Reactive Targets

I should note that I did not come up with this idea. But I altered similar designs which improved the production process (more targets in less time) and resulted in a target that reacts slightly more consistently, hangs well, and is more visible. It's functions more like a store bought target than any others I saw people making.

I like that idea for sighting in. That bull looks an especially useful design.

Much easier to see than black on buff paper. :thanks:

Here is another type of 'reactive' target, or the hapless Ford 8N transmission case, properly sighted in @ 200m:

That was a really fun day, cool temps and plenty 7.62 NATO. :thumbup:

Subs
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."
Attachments
Shoot 028.JPG
Shoot 027.JPG

lets see if i've got this right. you start with an orange piece of paper, spray-adhesive a layer of cling-wrap onto it, spray paint the cling-wrap black, then (using a template) spray paint a white bulls-eye onto the black cling wrap?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

SubRosa wrote:I like that idea for sighting in. That bull looks an especially useful design.

Much easier to see than black on buff paper. :thanks:

Here is another type of 'reactive' target, or the hapless Ford 8N transmission case, properly sighted in @ 200m:

That was a really fun day, cool temps and plenty 7.62 NATO. :thumbup:

Subs
If only my local range accepted such targets.

DIY Reactive Targets

lurker wrote:lets see if i've got this right. you start with an orange piece of paper, spray-adhesive a layer of cling-wrap onto it, spray paint the cling-wrap black, then (using a template) spray paint a white bulls-eye onto the black cling wrap?
That's it. Pretty simple. Closer shot.

And my other stencil. No range photos of that one.

I knew there had to be some way to do this. Thanks.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Yeah, this is definitely not new. But when researching how other people are making these, their end results were mostly effective, but their processes seemed bulky. Or, the process was easy and fast, but the target was mediocre and/or required more expensive materials.

It took a little time to set up the assembly process "infrastructure" (stencils, spray containment, etc). But I can bang out batches of 40-60 relatively quickly now. The cost/benefit of my time to make these outweighs the financial cost. I can blow thru reactive targets all day, and just make more. But the efficient assembly process is critical.

I'll take pics tomorrow but here's my favorite reactive targets.

* empty 20oz soda bottles
* 3' 1/4" wooden dowels
* hammer

I pound the dowels into the ground about 6" and place the bottles mouth side down over them. If you hit the middle of the bottle they get shorter.

Tons of fun to get those bottles moving!
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

[/quote]If only my local range accepted such targets. [/quote]

We shoot in the open desert, about 15 min from home. All the junk lugged in gets lugged back out, at least what we can see.

The spot is close to a known illicit cartel drug highway, the Vekol Wash, but a target of opportunity has never materialized. :no:

Wisdom dictates you always have a ready piece on you, but methinks if they hear the racket they vacate pronto. :ninja:

Subs
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."