I attended the USCCA Conference

Since the USCCA conference was just an hour and a half up the road, I figured I couldn't miss it. There were several free classes and a few pay classes. I took the Advanced Concealed Carry: Close Quarters Shooting And Weapons Retention with Sgt. Don Gulla & Gary Drake. The material the presented was excellent. They really knew their stuff. However they weren't the greatest teachers in the world. The room was not set up well for the exercises we did. Despite the fact that we preregistered for the class, there weren't enough chairs. I sat on the floor for 20 minute before additional chairs arrived. The room was noisy and everyone was standing so hearing and seeing new instruction was difficult.
The vendors section had a variety of fun things to look at. Unfortunately the crowd overwhelmed the resources (and I was there on Friday, the least busy day) It was difficult to see any of the demonstrations they had.

I had already decided that I was going to sign up for their insurance coverage. But I wanted to wait to talk with someone in person. The woman was very nice. I asked to see her companies anti-discrimination policy. She said no one had ever asked that before. I explained that as a member of the LGBT community I might be assumed guilty just because I'm queer (kind of like driving while black, but to a lesser degree) And that since most gun related industries were very conservative, I had hoped to see it in writing. She remarked that 2 other women working in the booth were married to each other. She looked through the computer records and didn't find anything, but assured me that there would be no problem. She may have been bullshitting me, or maybe I just planted a seed for them to make improvements.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: I attended the USCCA Conference

lurker wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:00 pm people who are not discriminatory sometimes do not see the need to spell it out.
A personal story on why I insist everything should be spelled out.

When I was in grad school, we signed a contract and rented a house. Same thing the second year. By the third year we were there, we were on good terms with the landlord, so when it came time to renew the lease, he said it wasn't necessary and things could go on as they were. Come December, we received notice that he was selling the property and evicting us and we had to vacate the week before Christmas. Shittiest Christmas spent with a 4 year old ever. And that is why I insist that it should always be spelled out.

Thanks for sharing that information. Was there a lot of right wing talk among attendees and instructors or more professional? Looks like they had a parting of the ways with the NRA.
https://www.ammoland.com/2017/04/nation ... z5CqzFYlFR

Looks like it was competition.
https://www.concealedcarry.com/news/nra ... eal-issue/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

i've been noticing lately that some groups and places seem more prone to regulate things in general. they regulate preemptively. if you drive without insurance in tennessee, no big deal until you're in an accident or get pulled over for something. sell a car, nobody cares, hang the plate on the wall in your garage. here on the east side of the mountains you need to take your bill of sale and tag to the dmv where they make note of it and you turn in your tag or you can't renew your insurance. something i'd expect in the northeast or california, something i think has been oozing down the east coast from new england since the pilgrims and the witch trials, and up the west coast from CA into OR and WA. i think it may have something to do with urbanization and population density. a love of regulation for its own sake, or because the issue might come up. i certainly hope this isn't an integral component of liberalism.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Prejudice against who? Corporate entities who have not made a statement regarding discrimination in a day and age when that is common corporate practice? Discrimination against a company in an industry that has closely allied itself with political and social forces that have gone out of their way to stand on the necks of queer people?

Yeah, buddy. I sure would like to be able to assume the best of everyone, but that's not the fucking world we live in and I don't understand how you imagine that we do. Remember those nazis we agree on killing? There are a LOT of them and some have jobs as clerks at places where they get to make decisions about whether someone gets the legal defense they are entitled to. A written corporate policy is the only thing that protects someone like our friend Hiker from someone like that. Sorry you're so put-off by the realities she has to live with.

I'm pretty surprised at what I'm hearing from you on this. We have disagreed plenty in the past, but not on anything like this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Inquisitor wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 am Probably also the wrong sub forum.
I debated on what section was appropriate. Rainbows is sometime full of social stuff, plus lots of people ignore this section. So as I was strolling through my other options, I saw this:
How To
Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.
I thought, Perfect, I am trying to help others get insurance protection that won't be denied because of their sexual/gender orientation. Here's how I did it.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker had a very valid question and in spite of no federal law corporations have still developed LGBT non-descrimination policies.
Whereas 61% of the Fortune 500 had [LGBT] non-discrimination policies in 2002, 88% did in 2013. (Human Rights Campaign, 2014).
https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/ ... ness-sense
https://www.ocregister.com/2016/09/22/l ... new-study/
http://www.hrc.org/campaigns/corporate-equality-index
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hiker wrote:
Inquisitor wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 am Probably also the wrong sub forum.
I debated on what section was appropriate. Rainbows is sometime full of social stuff, plus lots of people ignore this section. So as I was strolling through my other options, I saw this:
How To
Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.
I thought, Perfect, I am trying to help others get insurance protection that won't be denied because of their sexual/gender orientation. Here's how I did it.
That’s a good enough reason to me :)

Inquisitor wrote:
That’s a good enough reason to me :)
Inquisitor, you are soooo good to me. Next time you're in Lexington I'll take you to lunch!!!

Well folks, things are happening. So I made a similar post to National Pink Pistols facebook page. Things happened fast!
firearms legal protection non-discrim.JPG
Piper Smith is CEO of National Pink Pistols, E Allen Chandler is CEO of Firearms Legal Protection.
https://firearmslegal.com/
{EDIT-- I was a bit hasty in saying Piper was CEO, she it some kind of big shot in the organization, I don't know exactly what.}
I have not contacted him yet, as I am down hard with respiratory stuff and have spent the last 4 days in bed. I will let y'all know when anything else happens.
Last edited by Hiker on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hiker wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:06 am Well folks, things are happening. So I made a similar post to National Pink Pistols facebook page. Things happened fast!
firearms legal protection non-discrim.JPG
Piper Smith is CEO of National Pink Pistols, E Allen Chandler is CEO of Firearms Legal Protection.
https://firearmslegal.com/

I have not contacted him yet, as I am down hard with respiratory stuff and have spent the last 4 days in bed. I will let y'all know when anything else happens.
Its good to hear they're going to be more open with their policies. I might have to look into it now.
Hope you get over the respiratory illness soon, and take all your meds. While it should go without saying, I was stupid in college, didn't finish my meds, and had to file for a late medical withdrawal because I came down with pneumonia. :sick:

Marlene wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am Side question: when did Piper take over from Gwen?
Oh dear! My assumption was that she was somehow in charge of Pink Pistols. I could have sworn she had been introduced as CEO in some TV news interview. I tried to go back and find that video and could not. So I must have dreamed it. Thanks for catching my error. You are sooo good to me. I will also edit my post above.