Slugging a bore

Finally got around to slugging the bore on my Finn Mosin Nagant M28/76. Here's a few pictures. There's really not much to it. Lead sinker, grease, brass rods, and a mallet. Caliper for measuring the results.

Link for slugging:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
Last edited by sikacz on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
IMG_5501.JPG
IMG_5488.JPG

Re: Slugging a bore

Few more pics. Gentle tap with a mallet. I used brass rods cut to 8", 16", 24" and so on.
Last edited by sikacz on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
IMG_5487.JPG
IMG_5491.JPG
IMG_5493.JPG

And the measuring. The groove is a .309 and the land measures .300. That would mean a .308 bullet would be good. Essentially this means reload or buy Lapua 7.62x53R which has a .308 bullet.
Last edited by sikacz on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attachments
IMG_5497.JPG
IMG_5498.JPG

Marlene wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:59 pm at .309, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot .310s in it
Ideally shouldn't the bullet be smaller than the grooves? Pressure? I think PPU 7.62x54R is about a .310. The Lapua is a .308.

Marlene wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:07 am Match barrels for .308 bullets often have a groove diameter of .3075. Extra room is not necessary and gentle squish can be good. I’m not saying.308s won’t shoot well (only proof is in the shooting) I’m saying.310s are possibly good.
That's good to know. I was a bit concerned that the PPU would be too large to shoot through the barrel safely and accurately. This is pretty much a match rifle for 7.62x54R. I will cautiously try both the Lapua and PPU. Thanks!
Last edited by sikacz on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attachments
IMG_5513.JPG
IMG_5509.JPG
IMG_5510.JPG

Good thread.

I have done this, but with shorter pieces of brass rod, each two end beveled. That is a pretty tight barrel. My guess is you'll see stunning accuracy.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:01 am Good thread.

I have done this, but with shorter pieces of brass rod, each two end beveled. That is a pretty tight barrel. My guess is you'll see stunning accuracy.

CDFingers
I'm extremely happy Marlene mentioned the .308 match barrel size. Makes me less anxious about trying the PPU with .310 bullet size. I love to learn.