Early March Garden

I had some trouble with my SD card, so I missed posting about what I did in late Feb. This was to plant peas. Now, recall that I'm along the 40th parallel in northern California, in zones 7-9 according to the Sunset Western Garden Book (SWGB).

I burrowed down into the rice straw mulch and opened little cones, where I put the Oregon Sugar peas. This variety was recommended by a local nursery, where I got these half dozen starts. It's also SWGB zoned correctly.

P1010002.JPG

I put tomato cages over them--Oregon Sugar is a bush variety rather than a climbing variety. So in 30 to 50 days I should harvest some peas. Visualize whirled peas.

P1010003.JPG

I've got room for other herbs and so on, but I wanted to get these peas workin'. This rice straw won't be useful until it gets hot, so it will be in the way for a few more months. Then it earns its keep.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Early March Garden

My back is bad enough that I don't plan on having anything on ground level this year. I have a line on a bunch of old tractor tires that I will be able to modify into a series of raised beds that will make tending the garden enjoyable again. I like the tomato cage idea for bush peas, looks like a good use for them. I never liked those wire cages for tomatos but for bush peas that should work great.