100 Yard Shoot Thanks M4 Official Postal Match

15 Shots 5 each position.

Center Fire rifle up to 8mm/32cal

Two classes glass or no glass Red dots are in the glass category.

Shooting Positions:
Position 1
Standing/Kneeling/Sitting at Bench: You must support the rifle using your arms only no resting arms. Sling support is okay if you desire.

Position 2
Prone unsupported/Elbow Rest Bench: You can only rest your elbows the rifle can touch nothing else.

Position 3
Supported: You can rest the rifle on anything you choose (except a shooting vice)

Distance: 100 Yards

Targets: http://downloads.bisonballistics.com/SR-1.pdf

Each position you shoot 1 target.

Order of fire: Five rounds each target Score higher ring Total of 30 rounds

100 Yard: Position 1 Multiply each hit by 1.8
Position 2 Multiply each hit by 1.5
Position 3 No multiplier

Penalty: All paper must have five hits. Deduct 5 points for any round not on paper.

You must score each target with name, date, distance, Position, and total. Scan or take photo and email to me
lgcpostalmatch@sbcglobal.net
Include your name and screen name and the type of weapon used. Open or Glass

Open ended but you will have at least till July I will give a weeks notice before closing.

Enjoy and have fun.

Let slip the rule rakes!
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Re: 100 Yard Shoot Thanks M4 Official Postal Match

Fukshot wrote:Position 3, bipods ok? Machine rests that are not vises, but have a bag that the forend tracks in? Rear bags?

I'm going to say no on that if you just use the front part that is okay bipods are fine
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Hello,

How many targets for each position do we need to submit?

Chances are I'd like to try all of them.

I got my Appleseed Rifleman badge thingy, but God only knows how as they had me shooting in some positions I'd never used before.

I think it was just the fact that I was shooting around 1000 rimfire rounds per week at that point in time and really only had to adapt to the positions, which included standing, kneeling/sitting (depending on your physical ability; being 25yds I chose kneeling, I think), and prone unsupported.

Prone unsupported was new to me and I just hammered a deep indentation into the ground with my elbow and had me a nice monopod! :D

Hey, how many rifles are allowed? I have the pet Mosin, of course, but I wouldn't mind shooting the 88/05, which is pillar bedded and barrel-floated from the factory (via a sleeve). Not real good for general issue, but excellent for precision, especially back in 1892 when it was built! :D

How about rimfire? I have a BTVS that I did Appleseed with after earning the patch using a semi-auto, iron-sighted 10/22 (which I bought for the match and sold afterward!) I just wanted to shoot it with a bolt action and see if I could score well. I did, but I also think it had to do with the 'scope. Couldn't feel my hand after that day, though, working the bolt like I had to!

Pics:

Standing on the big ones, reload; kneeling or sitting on the medium ones with a reload in there someplace; then prone on the small ones with a reload in there (of course). The reloads were designed around the M1 Garand's 8 rounds.

The rifles I'm considering for this postal match:

I used this in pre-modified form for my second rimfire at Appleseed in '09. I know I can shoot with it and it sees squirrel duty out to 100 yards. Is it allowed, being a .22 rimfire?

This is my Mosin. There are (now) many like it, but this one is mine!

This one is the wild card, my Gewehr 88/05. I shot it for groups once, if I recall, and I think I was shooting around 1.5" at 100 yards with my bad eyes, no glasses. Been a while.

Are all these allowed, or is the rimfire disallowed?

How about my sidelock muzzleloader with patch and ball? :D

Regards,

Josh

CDFingers wrote:Cool. I'm going to avoid glass and challenge myself. Standing is the toughest for me.

July what?

CDFingers
Always depends on entries I'll always give a weeks warning

—Joe Strummer

I shot the match today. I sent target pics and scores to Paladin.

I thought it would be good to put a bit here about this match.

This was the first day of Summer, and I have Fridays off this year. The other days of the week I'm booked either with teaching, preparing, or grading. Sometimes I sleep. It will be a lucrative but exhausting summer.

So I stole a morning--just after sunrise.

Wonderful weather, and there were only a couple old farts like myself there.

I used my 8mm 1943 Turkish Mauser long rifle with 1941 Turkish military surplus 8mm Mauser ammo. I had two pierced primers, one split case, and two hang fires. Luckily the good ol' Turk--I call him my Old Turk--is prepared for hang fires. In this photo you'll see a fired case, a primer that was pierced and then the primer fell out of the pocket, a live round, and the slot in the cocking piece that I used to re cock the bolt after the hang fires. Both hang fires fired the second time.

As it so happens, the best case to use to recock the rifle is a 7.62x54r Rooskie case. Ah, Germans. Arrogant bastards. ;-) There was one on the ground next to me.

Here is the Old Turk.

He is pretty scuffed. Here is his front sight.

You can see it has been there, done that, and has worn out the t-shirt he got in 1945.

Naturally, being a Turk, nothing is matching.

Standing was toughest. I got my best view of the sights prone supported on my elbows. This was fun because I usually shoot with scopes, old eyes being what they are.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Shot the match today myself, had an interesting experience. Like CD, my toughest is definitely unsupported. In retrospect however, I am kicking myself for not using reloads for all three- I had a very good experience with the Lapua rounds prior, but for my last shots on paper today with the bipod, turned in the best groupings of the day (Glass). Had a .84 inch grouping at 100 yards out of the AR with three rounds, 1.67 inch with all 5 (and that was because I adjusted my sight a bit, not because the rifle varied. Kind of surprised that it could turn in a group like that, I wasn't expecting it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Attachments
20130623_151531.jpg
20130623_151522.jpg
20130623_151509.jpg

shinzen wrote:Shot the match today myself, had an interesting experience. Like CD, my toughest is definitely unsupported. In retrospect however, I am kicking myself for not using reloads for all three- I had a very good experience with the Lapua rounds prior, but for my last shots on paper today with the bipod, turned in the best groupings of the day (Glass). Had a .84 inch grouping at 100 yards out of the AR with three rounds, 1.67 inch with all 5 (and that was because I adjusted my sight a bit, not because the rifle varied. Kind of surprised that it could turn in a group like that, I wasn't expecting it.
Please submit targets to me.

—Joe Strummer