Thumbs rubbing on slide

So I've been working on my grip. I'm using thumbs forward now on most of my pistols, and locked thumbs on my smaller pistols because it just seems to work better. I'm really liking thumbs forward, my recoil management is a lot better and I can shoot some pretty awesome rapid fire groups with this grip.

The problem I am having though is my strong thumb riding on the slide. I keep my thumbs pretty relaxed. So it does not cause the gun to jam and it does not hurt when I shoot. But it bugs me. I can just imagine big shiny silver spots on my slides appearing. Is there a way around this? I see they make slide guards for a few guns, but the one I'm having the most rub with is the 92fs, and I don't see any guards for it. Should I just learn to get over it and accept it as wear from normal usage?
"Thought provoking quote."

Re: Thumbs rubbing on slide

Are you sure it's not holster wear? If your grip is relaxed enough that it's not rubbing your thumb raw then it's hard to see how it's taking material or finish of a steel slide. :blink:

Is it just this one pistol?

With a thumbs forward grip on my pistols, my weak-hand/left thumb is definitely providing some grip on the frame, but my right thumb is usually resting just below the first joint of my left thumb, in line with that bone, meaning it's about 30° angled away from the slide, it usually doesn't contact (or at least, I haven't noticed it).

ZAZ wrote:So I've been working on my grip. I'm using thumbs forward now on most of my pistols, and locked thumbs on my smaller pistols because it just seems to work better. I'm really liking thumbs forward, my recoil management is a lot better and I can shoot some pretty awesome rapid fire groups with this grip.

The problem I am having though is my strong thumb riding on the slide. I keep my thumbs pretty relaxed. So it does not cause the gun to jam and it does not hurt when I shoot. But it bugs me. I can just imagine big shiny silver spots on my slides appearing. Is there a way around this? I see they make slide guards for a few guns, but the one I'm having the most rub with is the 92fs, and I don't see any guards for it. Should I just learn to get over it and accept it as wear from normal usage?
I don't foresee your thumbs doing much to the slide finish. I shoot thumbs forward and after thousands of rounds you can't tell the difference between the left and right side of my slide (PPQ). I suspect that if you ever do see wear, that the culprit is your holster (provided you have and use one).

IF or when I start to see wear marks on my slide from my thumb, I will view it as very cool wear. Sounds like you want it to look like new forever, which, unless you don't shoot the thing, is unlikely at best. Personally, I like the aesthetics associated with use. I like the wear pattern on my target rifle's laminated wood stock. Where I hold it, the finish is polished, but elsewhere it has a matte finish. I think that says something about the gun and me...

Anywho, my advice is to either not worry about it or look forward to it, but YMMV.
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...

-Washington: Art. I, § 24 (enacted 1889)

I generally don't mind wear on gun. It even looks good on some guns. But in my minds eye a big silver spot on the slide would look odd. Anyway, I think I will just lower my grip on the gun. I have my supporting had up so high, kinda like the way "pros" shoot, that it is locking my left elbow and cocking my natural point of aim to the right. It seems to be making my groups move to the right a few inches at only 7 yards. The idea of arresting the recoil for speedy follow up shots is really cool, but I guess its kinda pointless if they are all "misses". If I correct my grip, my strong thumb will be lower and wont be rubbing on the slide anymore. That's my theory anyway. I shot up all my 9mm trying to figure this out the other day. But it always seems I find the answer after spending all night dry firing.
"Thought provoking quote."

ZAZ wrote:Anyway, I think I will just lower my grip on the gun. I have my supporting had up so high, kinda like the way "pros" shoot, that it is locking my left elbow and cocking my natural point of aim to the right. It seems to be making my groups move to the right a few inches at only 7 yards.
If one elbow is locked, but your other one isn't, than that's not what the pros are using. At least not lately. That sounds like weaver, and modern isosceles stance is the dominant method right now. Shoulders are square, both arms are basically equal in extension, and elbows are not locked.

Probably still my favorite overview of grip and stance - a good summary of the modern technique.
Secretary of Oregon LGC and LGC Instructor
Cowboy Action Shooting Alias: Jabber Walk.
Member, TCGC. | Firearm Safety
Paid your dues? | Subscribe to your local thread.