Laser trainers, tell me your experiences!

I finally had a chance to shoot my 9mm CZ and I need consistency! Been thinking about a laser trainer and target, it appears the whole setup would cost approximately $200...so I need to save on my squirrel fund first. I'm going to work on my trigger pull with my snap caps, but think maybe this laser option is worth considering. So tell me if you use one, what you think and was it worth the investment?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Laser trainers, tell me your experiences!

LaserLyte has ReactionTyme and Laser Targets which are good, I have them both. http://www.laserlyte.com/products/laser-trainer-target and http://www.laserlyte.com/products/tlb-rt

When I am teaching I carry a Laser Ammo PET targets which are both reaction time and accuracy targets http://www.laser-ammo.com/LaserPET-Elec ... arget.html

Laser Ammo also has a laser 'round' so you can use your firearm to practice I use this: http://www.laser-ammo.com/SureStrike-9- ... m-Kit.html

In places where I do not feel comfortable with a 'real' firearm such as introductory training, I use the SIRT laser pistols http://nextleveltraining.com/content/si ... ifications

There is also a iPhone app that tracks Laser firing on a paper target iDryFire that works quite well https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idryfir ... d652079861
less is more

IMHO you are better off spending your money on ammo.
Unless you are training with scenarios where you have to hit specific small targets in a cluttered environment, it seems somewhat useless.
You don't experience recoil, or bang noise, or malfunctions, or running out of ammo. There is no fast recovery required for a double tap. There are no ballistics or wind involved for longer ranges.

If you just want to practice your draw, either dry fire or get an airgun version of your gun, so when you shoot yourself in the foot, you can at least feel it.

Awake, I'm not looking to replace real ammo practice, but to enhance my dry fire snap cap experience. Right now I can practice on the empty spot on the wall with a snap cap, but it really doesn't give me any feed back. My first time out with my CZ was fun, we shot her at the 20 yard range (mainly because it was next to the 50 where we shot the M39) in a more thought out world we should have used the 10 yard range. But, the experience did show I was inconsistent and I was thinking one of these new fangled laser gizmos might show me a bit more on where those darn shots are going! Of course a day spent with a nice liberal instructor would be nice and hopefully in the future! :beer2:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I've not used them with my guns. With my cats, yes...

I think one would be useful for me when sighting in scopes on rifles. I wasted ten bucks in ammo--retail, that's seven rounds for my .45-70-- getting on paper. I think it would pay for itself after a while. I don't have enough gun gadgets yet...

sikacz, in all seriousness, there is another way to practice without ammo. Ensure the weapon is not loaded. Take a nicely sharpened pencil with an eraser and slip it down the bore. Tape some paper with a black dot in the middle to a door or something at shooting height. You tip the gun back so the eraser contacts the metal, then sight at the dot with the pencil tip about an eighth of an inch away from the paper. When you pull the trigger on the unloaded weapon, the firing pin will drive the nicely sharpened point against the paper. I shoot for group size. Rifles? Dowel with a pencil point at one end and a rubber pad at the other. Luck, always.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The advantage to bore lasers is you can actually see whether you pulled the shot because of bad trigger discipline. Now, you can get some of that with the coin on the barrel bit too.

No, it doesn't replace live fire, but it's an excellent compliment and gives dryfire a little more opportunity to improve, rather than inadvertently imprinting bad habits. No, it also does not replace a good coach or instructor.

Inquisitor wrote:The advantage to bore lasers is you can actually see whether you pulled the shot because of bad trigger discipline. Now, you can get some of that with the coin on the barrel bit too.

No, it doesn't replace live fire, but it's an excellent compliment and gives dryfire a little more opportunity to improve, rather than inadvertently imprinting bad habits. No, it also does not replace a good coach or instructor.
I intend to get a laser trainer when I can afford it, also a coach, but it helps also to try the readily available options too! Thanks y'all! :beer2:

I use a SIRT laser pistol for teaching basic pistol and practicing more advanced skills myself. Absolutely worth the investment, especially as followup to a good pistol course. Nothing is a complete substitute for range time but with the correct tools and techniques, a vast majority of shooting skills can be perfected without live fire. Unfortunately. Because live fire is so much more fun.

No experience with other laser systems.

I bought a SIRT red/green The green laser is the trigger pull color and the red laser is the take up color. The instructor watches the red laser looking for wobble during take up and the green laser for jerking the shot. The shooter can only see the shot laser because the take up laser is "hidden" by the gun from the student's view.

However, I found out that the Laserlyte targets aren't sensitive to the green laser so I reversed the connector which reverses the functions. However, the green laser is in the bore while the red laser is below it, so switching them also caused parallax errors for near/far shooting.

So I asked SIRT to swap my red/green for a red/red which makes it work much better.

SIRT with Laserlyte is a great combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NRA Endowment, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA member, FBI San Francisco CA AA board member. Stop me before I join something else!

TacMan wrote:I bought a SIRT red/green The green laser is the trigger pull color and the red laser is the take up color. The instructor watches the red laser looking for wobble during take up and the green laser for jerking the shot. The shooter can only see the shot laser because the take up laser is "hidden" by the gun from the student's view.

However, I found out that the Laserlyte targets aren't sensitive to the green laser so I reversed the connector which reverses the functions. However, the green laser is in the bore while the red laser is below it, so switching them also caused parallax errors for near/far shooting.

So I asked SIRT to swap my red/green for a red/red which makes it work much better.

SIRT with Laserlyte is a great combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I agree.

The guy that makes my simulator also makes an iPhone app FYI.

iMarksman.

I have the lazerlyte target, the 9mm insert, and the adjustable insert, and the blue gun for that insert.
I use them a lot for practicing, but eventually ended up mostly using th 9mm special cap most of the time.

The lazerlyte target is very finiky and stops working when it gets a bit cold. Each time when I am about to return it, it starts working again.

The adjustable insert lazer goes into the muzzle and works acoustically. Because of that, you have to take out the batteries every time you are done with it, because it continuously listens to the sound.

The 9mm goes into the chamber, so it acts like a snap cap too. Onver time, you can see where the lazer hit, so you don't really need the target. I use it to shoot light switches, curtain rods, cats and dogs :) and various swinging objects.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Laserlyte-Las ... m/22143814

In retrospect everything else was a waste of money. Last time I put the batteries back into the adjustable trainer, it did not even come on.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/laserlyte-b ... OgodIzUAxg