Have you tried these unusual pistol sights

My old failing eyes need something more than standard iron sights. I've read of these online. For each of them, when you properly align the front and rear sights, a large triangle is formed.

My question is, does anyone have these, or has anyone tried them. Or can anyone suggest something better. (in this case, I am not interested in red dots or lasers since I will use it for IDPA) Thanks for any feedback.

http://www.suresight.com/

http://www.advantagetactical.com/
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: Have you tried these unusual pistol sights

I'm not personally familiar with either product but just visiting the SureSight website triggers a BS detector.
WE ARE CURRENTLY BACK-ORDERED AND YOUR PRODUCT MAY NOT SHIP FOR 6-12 WEEKS.

NOTE: Your credit card will be charged immediately.
A quick search suggests they have been back-ordered for years and customer dissatisfaction is high.

I also reject their claim that seeing the sight is incredibly useful in typical self-defense scenarios. It is not. Most realistic self-defense is point shooting. Sights are great when you slowly punch paper at distance. So, gimmick.

I like the rectangular sights on the Steyr pistols and agree that target acquisition is a little quicker. But most people feel that accuracy at distance is compromised. I haven't shot them enough to have an opinion.

I prefer a highly visible, fiber-optic front sight for IDPA. Rear sight is not as important - in fact, my best IDPA match was with rear sights blacked out.

Pincus has a good overview of how sights are used in real life, although I don't agree with him on closing one eye every time you want to focus on front sight.

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/k_AbAfZtTpk[/youtu_be]

Edit: I'm absolutely not opposed to new equipment ideas - just skeptical of this one. I shot a Caracal C with "Quick Sights" and a front fiber insert in a three day advanced pistol course at distances ranging from 0 - 60 yards. At the end of the course, the principal instructor singled out my pistol for a show-and-tell, citing the unusually good accuracy given the non-existent sight radius. He knew it wasn't the shooter. ;)

DoctorB wrote:Would be useful to know what's on there now, that you want to replace.
The first is a Sig 2022 with the three dot night sites. The other is a Kahr P9 with the "dot the i" sights.

MudPuppy, thanks for the heads up on Hexsites, I'll check them out.

begemot, my BS alert is going off also on that 6-12 week business, thanks for the feedback.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

MudPuppy98 wrote:How about these?

Anyone played around with the Hexsite?
I was just about to post the same question. Somewhere I read an in-depth analysis on a variety of sighting systems, and there was something about the Hex sight that made it much different and highly effective compared to the others. Still looking for that article.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

If you do any photography, you know that apertures are used to adjust depth of field.

On a rifle, you can make the peep sight small enough to get some serious benefit in improved target focus (yes, you focus on the front sight, but the improved depth of field brings the target into better focus). You may get the same effect to a smaller degree with pistol sights.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

fknauss wrote:If you do any photography, you know that apertures are used to adjust depth of field.

On a rifle, you can make the peep sight small enough to get some serious benefit in improved target focus (yes, you focus on the front sight, but the improved depth of field brings the target into better focus). You may get the same effect to a smaller degree with pistol sights.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/xd-hs2000/SureSight.html

apparently they are out of business ?

"Synopsis:

This article is more for an archive than anything else. SureSight is no longer in business. Since these sights can be found in the used market we will profile them so people can have an idea of what they are getting into."

I dont know if they would be that good for target shooting, but if its self defense your worried about, i was always taught that dont even bother with sights. Self defense is usually within 20 feet or less, 7 feet more the norm, and at those ranges you put the slide in line of sight where you want to hit and squeeze off 2, then you can work on sighting if the threat is still coming. Massad f Ayoob has a great series of books on just this and other techniques. He has trained thousands of police, military and some of the top pistol marksmen around the country.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

beaurrr wrote:

I was just about to post the same question. Somewhere I read an in-depth analysis on a variety of sighting systems, and there was something about the Hex sight that made it much different and highly effective compared to the others. Still looking for that article.
I shot them in VT, antia brought them on his Sig. Pretty intuitive.

Inquisitor wrote:
beaurrr wrote:

I shot them in VT, antia brought them on his Sig. Pretty intuitive.

I reminds me of a peep sight on a pistol. which works pretty well actually.

http://www.recoilweb.com/rear-aperture- ... 34133.html
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

beaurrr wrote:

try this one. not really an article, but pretty good nonetheless.

http://connect.lawofficer.com/group/fir ... -system-vs
Last edited by dandad on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

I had been told that if you have eye problems, peep sights are the way to go. you can experiment with a hole in cardboard and see it does seem to help if you are far sighted like me. Or, just wear your glasses lol
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:I had been told that if you have eye problems, peep sights are the way to go. you can experiment with a hole in cardboard and see it does seem to help if you are far sighted like me. Or, just wear your glasses lol
I've had real benefit with peep sights on lever guns. They bring everything into focus. I want the same deal on a 1911 but fast pointing.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy