Re: Fred's Range Reports

Switched to 5 shot strings, though still 20 rounds per target. Focus today was on quicker, but still smooth trigger pull.
I'd been trying so hard to be smooth that I was way to slow.

Here's the best of the day - If I can do this regularly, I'll be happy.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Appleseed weekend. 3rd one.

I am now shooting in the 190's, and have a couple of areas to practice on for improvement.

OMG I hate shooting the seated portion.

And, it is amazing just how mentally exhausted I am after two days of this.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

fknauss wrote:Switched to 5 shot strings, though still 20 rounds per target. Focus today was on quicker, but still smooth trigger pull.

That's how it is done.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

fknauss wrote:Switched to 5 shot strings, though still 20 rounds per target. Focus today was on quicker, but still smooth trigger pull.

You have to slow down to speed up.

fknauss wrote:I haven't even started speed drills yet. That happens when they all go inside the 2" regularly.
:) I'm using a shrunk 50ft timed/rapid target at 45ft (range only has 15yds and 25yds target holes) and when they are all in the 9-ring, I'm going to use the 50ft slow-fire version (still shrunk 90%) to show myself how much work I still have... It will take time, but I'm having fun, so I don't care.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

shinzen wrote:Nice shooting and improvement man. Way to go!

Yeah - That. Gives me something to shoot for (pun intended) I have to play with my rifle once in a while, but for the most part I'm trying to tame my (non-existent) pistol technique.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Lessons learned:

Don't be afraid to try different things. I have changed my grip about 3 different times, and when I started I was a strict Isosceles stance, and am now much more weaverish. It's okay to have a bad day - there is still something to be learned. In fact, during a bad day is the best time to learn to focus - figure out what your brain does when it just doesn't want to be doing all things you know you should do for a perfect shot. Read a lot, and figure out what different experienced shooters do, and see where they all overlap, and where they differ. Analyze a lot, but then also give yourself some time to just shoot without thinking about every little thing. 90% of this is mental (especially as you get older) and you need to give yourself time for the brain to develop those pathways.

Join!

I should probably add pictures on the days when I get worse, in a 2 steps back 3 forward kind of way. It wasn't as bad as the beginning of this thread, but not as good as the last pic, either. There *was* a sense of when things were going right, and when they were not so good, but I haven't been able to quantify the difference. Something about the way the sights and target looked, and how the trigger break felt. Can't put it into words. Maybe next time.

I also need to start doing this more than once a week, I think. And I don't get to count appleseeds as pistol practice.

Join!

Been a while since I've posted.

Current guns for pistol practice are the Buckmark and the CZ.

Here's two representative targets from today:

I also took out the GP100, to try out the new spring kit. This is 15 rounds, double action. The two in the outer ring were when I accidentally shot single action, and was surprised by the light break.

I'm thinking I might need to reshoot the postal match with a revolver...

Join!

Nice! :clap:

Interesting, too, that you find yourself drifting back toward a semi-Weaver. I've found myself doing the same lately, just very slight changes,

If you'd really like to shoot the centerfire course again with a revolver, I'll gladly give you a pass this time, although, remember, you shot a damn good match with your CZ.

The only requirement is that if you do re-shoot, you're on your honor to submit the new score, even if it's not as good as the old one.

Of course, I'll give the same pass to any other entrant who wants to use a different pistol -- just this once.

The point of these matches is to get people shooting. Scores don't mean much right now. We're just getting started again. Regular, disciplined practice means a lot, so we're being a bit flexible this time out.

I wish more members were doing the same sort of work you are. Hundreds of folks downloaded the match rules, but only a fraction of that number have shot the course.

So, good on ya for practicing, experimenting, and entering.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop