Ballistic comparison charts?

Sooo... I've been having a lot of fun with my buddy playing at 1000 yards this year, but if I'm going to keep doing this I need a different gun. My Remington 788 chambered in 6mm Remington is a damned sweet shooter, but it's a hunting rifle and has to cool down after every magazine or two because the barrel's so thin. I can tell when it's too hot, the accuracy goes right to hell.

Currently, I'm enamoured with the Savage heavy barreled models - from what we've heard around here, they're friggin' sweet and you'd have to spend roughly double the sticker price in order to improve upon their performance.

I'm not wedded to any particular calibre and am interested in doing my legwork to find out what's going to be the "best" for my purposes. 7mm-08 is intriguing, but I heard good things about 25-06 and 6.5mm Creedmore.

Anyone know of any (hopefully online) relative ballistic comparison charts?
My blog - Bear Left Guns

Rem 760 .30-06, Ruger Single Six, Remington Nylon 66

Re: Ballistic comparison charts?

I don't so I'll be watching this thread to see what you find.

I've been thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor for both long range paper & hunting. Something like a Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter. Or a nice Swedish Mauser in the traditional 6.5x55...
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Straylock app for your phone... have a different one on puter (ballistic calculator) but not near it now and can't remember name. Found it through a google search. Works well, has a short time out before it will start in free mode.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin” – Charles Darwin

A .284 Win or .284 Shehane wouldn't be a bad choice thought they would be handload only cartridges. You also may want something that's not going to wear the barrel out in around 1500 rounds. .308 is a good one and Savage makes the excellent Model 12 target rifle in it.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Fukshot wrote:.25-06 won't have the selection of high quality bullets you want. I'd go 6.5.

I love my 7mm08, but for that little ballistic difference, I'd go with the availability of components that .308 offers.

Exactly - .25s area great caliber, but bullet selection is a big factor, as most weren't intended for long range (current long range, not 1980s long range), the quarter bores are really neglected.

Not a common thought of long range round as it is old, but .270WIN is excellent - and bullet manufacturers have stayed up on it.

Hornady has 130gr at 0.460+BC, and 140gr at 0.495BC. 150gr over 0.500. and Sierra matchking 135gr is close to 0.500.

You don't have the really heavy bullet option .308 gives you, but do you need it?

And you have readily available cheap ammo.
I keep looking at .260 rem (6.5mm) and then think if I am doing it long range, look at long action, and so look at 6.5-284, 6.5-06, and 264winmag, and then look at ballistics, and I don't gain much over my .270WIN. And I can buy really inexpensive quality hunting ammo (currently ~.90/round on line), anywhere and everywhere (including international). And to get initial velocity gains, I lose to wind effects by going with lighter bullets to get velocity, but then also loose BC advantage, so I keep coming back to my .270. And how I just need a new one!

It isn't a military caliber, and its a long action caliber, so it really gets overlooked. It does have a tad more recoil than some others (but not that much different than other 130 grain loads), but is still easily shootable over a long day.
"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin” – Charles Darwin

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Getting a caliber that needs handloads isn't a problem - I'm a handloader. I was expecting to fine-tune whatever it was that I ended up getting, so wacky off-beat rounds are just fine.

Stupidass opinion removed here

Totally going to give PointBlank a look.

I'm still a ways off from needing a new long-distance precision rifle, but I'd like to do the ground work early enough that at the right time it can feel like an impulse purchase.
Last edited by BearLeft on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My blog - Bear Left Guns

BearLeft wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Getting a caliber that needs handloads isn't a problem - I'm a handloader. I was expecting to fine-tune whatever it was that I ended up getting, so wacky off-beat rounds are just fine.

I've always been a bit wary of the .270 proper, it's not a terribly effective elk hunting round and that was the major use case in my family growing up. However, if it's got the legs I'm willing to give it a second look.

Totally going to give PointBlank a look.

I'm still a ways off from needing a new long-distance precision rifle, but I'd like to do the ground work early enough that at the right time it can feel like an impulse purchase.

My dad took many elk with his .270, so not sure who you have been talking to... Ever heard of Jack O'Connor? ;-) You don't need a belted magnum or 200+grain bullets to get elk, especially with modern bullets, as long as you know how to shoot.

DocSkinner wrote: My dad took many elk with his .270, so not sure who you have been talking to... Ever heard of Jack O'Connor? ;-) You don't need a belted magnum or 200+grain bullets to get elk, especially with modern bullets, as long as you know how to shoot.

I have the feeling that I have offended you, and I'm sorry. That was the exact opposite of my intent. Redacting my comment.
My blog - Bear Left Guns

BearLeft wrote:
DocSkinner wrote: My dad took many elk with his .270, so not sure who you have been talking to... Ever heard of Jack O'Connor? ;-) You don't need a belted magnum or 200+grain bullets to get elk, especially with modern bullets, as long as you know how to shoot.

I have the feeling that I have offended you, and I'm sorry. That was the exact opposite of my intent. Redacting my comment.

No problems, and no offense! Was just razzing you as that is a common (mis)conception (both that the .270 is too small, and that elk require a big heavy bullet and cartridge).

My dad took plenty with his .270 (back with old regular 130 and 150 gr Speer spitzers) and his hunting partner, my uncle, took plenty as well with a .308 WIN (again - 150gr Spitzers).

Was like when I back east and listening to gun shop gurus talk about how you needed AT LEAST a 7mm magnum or .300 Win mag, and preferably a bigger caliber like a .338 magnum of some kind to take western mulies and elk.

They got really huffy when I said I had hunted them with a .250 savage (deer) and .308s and .270s. And I happened to have an old lifetime hunting license from Idaho...