The Beretta Blog teaches How to Rack your Slide

How To Rack Your Handgun Slide Like A Boss
For shooters, rak simply means to cycle the slide of a semi-auto handgun manually. Sounds simple doesn’t it?

Unfortunately, racking the slide is a source of pain, angst and frustration for many new shooters. Far too often, it causes people to make buying decisions that compromise what the really wanted for a model with an easier slide racking motion.
some days, I just don't English

Re: The Beretta Blog teaches How to Rack your Slide

It is good that Tom McHale posted a reminder of this technique. My wife was taught this years ago in a shooting class. It works well for people for whom grip is an issue, but it works poorly for a lefty, who would be placing the right hand over the slide of what is most often a standard right-ejecting port. The technique is a variation of the draw-and-rack maneuver that people who carry condition 3 are taught.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eVgOKkKLZ0
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

When new shooters come into the shop looking for a handgun, this is the method we show them as most turn away from autos due to them using the "slingshot" method. Once they realize how easy it is, they then go right back to the autos. It helps with sales AND shows shooters a new, easier method to charge their weapon.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

I used to ride the slide on my SA's, then I watched the Dynamic Handgun video put out by magpul and, although there's a lot of "tactical" jibber jabber to wade through, there were some really useful tips. Best thing I ever did though was take a 30 min intermediate-level one on one instruction. Quickly realized that all the "fundamentals" I learned in the 80's were outdated and wrong.

I have new-found empathy for folks who can't rack. I cut my left hand pretty bad and even my 22 pocketgun was hard to rack. I had to grab the slide with my strong hand. Worked great...sucks in a combat situation.

If I wanted to carry with this condition, I would probably carry a hicap semi with no reloads and rack before carrying, or more likely, a good wheelgun.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

As to range etiquette, I always blade my body to keep the muzzle down range when I do this.

I learned this technique at my basic handgun class that covered semi-autos as well as the much adored wheel guns (looking at you senorgrand, et al). This is where my instructor recommended blading your body rather than turning the muzzle. To blade your body he recommended taking a step backward with your strong-hand side leg as this simulates retreating if you run in to issues with your firearm during a self defense situation.

Thoughts on that? (I do not claim to be an expert in any way).
Texan Liberal interested in guns