How accurate SHOULD this thing be?

So - I've been playing with this for a while now ("playing" as in new sights, with/without comp, etc.) and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. This is with a 2-handed grip, nice and easy, at 10 yards with the ammo everyone reckons these things like best. BUT... how small a group can these things shoot without being in a vice? Sadly, that's a quarter there, not a dime.... :)
I'll be backing out to 15 yards next week, I think, regardless.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Re: How accurate SHOULD this thing be?

Fukshot wrote:I mean that there is no objective answer outside of shooting it from a vise type rest. From a vise, I'd think it would hold two inches at fifty yards with the right ammo.

Thanks - that is what I was really looking for. Some indication of when I have achieved perfection/Nirvana, etc. Now I can play happily knowing it's unattainable. :)

That is almost the same set up I have and once you learn it it will put 10 on a dime I like Remington match eley primed try those if you can find them. The difference is with match the recoil is the same so you can create a nice pattern while shooting. Do some rest shooting and that will tell you if equipment is okay that comp can work loose some times.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

SailDesign wrote:
Paladin wrote:I have a set of volthane grips if you are interested.
Southpaw? :)

I've been over Volquartesen's site and Voluthane in Southpaw doesn't exist ... Unless you know better. :)
That explains the bad shooting :beer2:

No I am normal.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Mason wrote:Going from target rifle to pistol late in life is hard and Paladin is an annoying freak. :)
On the first part - Yeah, no sh!t. On the second - well, I think that comes with the name. We had a "Paladin" on alt.mountain-bike years ago with a similar nature. Same guy? Could be - Hi, Paladin!

SailDesign wrote:
Mason wrote:Going from target rifle to pistol late in life is hard and Paladin is an annoying freak. :)
On the first part - Yeah, no sh!t. On the second - well, I think that comes with the name. We had a "Paladin" on alt.mountain-bike years ago with a similar nature. Same guy? Could be - Hi, Paladin!
Sorry, Paladin and I are good friends. He's a freakishly good shot with both rifle and pistol. I'm pretty sure he's not a MTBer but I am. That post was the result of drinking, sailing and turning forty all weekend.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:
SailDesign wrote:
Sorry, Paladin and I are good friends. He's a freakishly good shot with both rifle and pistol. I'm pretty sure he's not a MTBer but I am. That post was the result of drinking, sailing and turning forty all weekend.
Mason (and Paladin) please believe me no offense was taken.

Especially if he was mourning turning 40... I lost that battle some 19 years ago, but my inner 15-year-old doesn't care. :)

I rode mountain roads in Germany while an MP did a long climb going to a call and my balls fwent numb I thought I was going to die.

—Joe Strummer

Paladin wrote:I rode mountain roads in Germany while an MP did a long climb going to a call and my balls fwent numb I thought I was going to die.
Wrong saddle, Paladin.... Need one 'of those "ball-savers" with the channel.

Or get the fcuk out of the seat on the climb...

Of course now that you're 40, you won't need them any more anyway.... :P

The trigger on the Ruger pistols leaves a lot to be desired. I had a 22/45 that I added a bunch of parts to. Sam Lam bushing, VQ sear/trigger package. All this stuff made for a nice trigger, but still, the way the gun is designed there is a certain amout of creep from the retaining pins. I was told I could super glue them to keep them from rotating. In the end I sold it to buy something else.

David Bradshaw in front of many witnesses took a brand new out of the box MKII and fired a 1.5" group from the creedmore prone position at 100yds in front of many witnesses. Of course he's not human, probably the finest long range pistolero ever.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Now that I'm getting used to pistol shooting a bit, here's my 15-yard final string from yesterday with the 22/45. The target is a 50-foot target shrunk to 90% to make it a 15-yard rapid or timed-fire target. Not that I did much "rapid" here, but it's a good size to practice on. The black is 2.75" diameter.