Old man glasses

I have been wearing progressive lens and in order to see the gunsights clearly I have to tilt my head back at a wierd angle. I'm about to get a new prescription and a new pair of glasse, trifocals: what they call reading, computer and seeing far away. :cool: I'm thinking of having the doc prescribe an extra pair just for shooting. I'm thinking the left hand side (the one I keep closed) in plain glass, and the right side with a lens that gives me a clear view of my sights. Is that the way to go? Anybody else out there wearing bi, tri, quadrifocals?

Re: Old man glasses

extra pair just for shooting
I got a pair. Safety frames, amber impact resistant lenses, single focus.

I worked with my optometrist to get a focal point that is maybe 6" past the front sights. Good distance viewing, while I naturally focus on the front sight.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

My regular glasses are progressive trifocals. I have generally felt that the middle layer, for "computer screen" distance, is just about right to focus on the front sight of either a handgun or rifle.

However, recently I have come to realize that they are part of the reason I am no longer comfortable shooting a rifle in the prone position.

If I keep my head and neck in the normal, relaxed position, I am looking through the top of my lens and the front sight is blurry. So I tilt my head back and get a stiff neck.

So far, my choice has been to stick with my regular glasses and just not shoot prone very much.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:My regular glasses are progressive trifocals. I have generally felt that the middle layer, for "computer screen" distance, is just about right to focus on the front sight of either a handgun or rifle.

However, recently I have come to realize that they are part of the reason I am no longer comfortable shooting a rifle in the prone position.

If I keep my head and neck in the normal, relaxed position, I am looking through the top of my lens and the front sight is blurry. So I tilt my head back and get a stiff neck.

So far, my choice has been to stick with my regular glasses and just not shoot prone very much.
Red dot sight? Or are you an iron and wood kinda shooter?
some days, I just don't English

MudPuppy98 wrote:
Elmo wrote:My regular glasses are progressive trifocals. I have generally felt that the middle layer, for "computer screen" distance, is just about right to focus on the front sight of either a handgun or rifle.

I like to keep it simple with iron sights. I think it's best to be familiar with a gun the way it came out of the box. Sometimes I use a scope I have, it's kind of bulky. My glock came with white dots on the iron sights but had to paint my own on my Ruger MK III standard. If anyone knows about a not too expensive red dot, let me know.

JoelB wrote:I found that the best solution for me was to buy a cheap pair of reading glasses that allowed me to clearly see the sights and to pop out the lens of my non-master eye. As long as you shoot with both eyes open, it works great.
I am past the cheap reading glasses stage, they just don't work for me anymore. I have been stared at in the isles of the drugstore trying on glasses while holding various oblong shaped objects at arms length.

JoelB wrote:I found that the best solution for me was to buy a cheap pair of reading glasses that allowed me to clearly see the sights and to pop out the lens of my non-master eye. As long as you shoot with both eyes open, it works great.
I sat on my progressives and broke the frame. I'd adapted to them, tilting my head back and what not. But they broke. I just did a range trip using cheap readers, and I was quite surprised at how well they worked. I did not pop out the other lens, but I closed the other eye. I could see the front sight perfectly, and the target was a nicely centered blurry blob--but it was a predictable blurry blob. Worked out OK. This was with iron sights. With a scope, it's easy peasy as I can change the focus on the scopes.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:
I sat on my progressives and broke the frame. I'd adapted to them, tilting my head back and what not. But they broke. I just did a range trip using cheap readers, and I was quite surprised at how well they worked. I did not pop out the other lens, but I closed the other eye. I could see the front sight perfectly, and the target was a nicely centered blurry blob--but it was a predictable blurry blob. Worked out OK. This was with iron sights. With a scope, it's easy peasy as I can change the focus on the scopes.

CDFingers
I'm using progressives, and apart from looking like a bobble-head at the range, they do work fine. I have just rediscovered a pair of computer specs that were built to focus at the end of my arm when stretched out... I am gong to try them as the distance is just right - as soon as my pinched nerve wears off... Sux being old.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Pistol or Rifle?

Have you ever given a thought to trying an iris first? I have normal 20/20 vision, but the focal length between my front sight and the target is just too great to not have either one blurred out. When I shoot rifle, my rear iris flattens out the image. With pistol, I make my own iris from a circular disc made of brass sheet, matte black spraypaint, and a pinhole in the center, taped to my safety glasses.

officedog wrote:Pistol or Rifle?

Have you ever given a thought to trying an iris first? I have normal 20/20 vision, but the focal length between my front sight and the target is just too great to not have either one blurred out. When I shoot rifle, my rear iris flattens out the image. With pistol, I make my own iris from a circular disc made of brass sheet, matte black spraypaint, and a pinhole in the center, taped to my safety glasses.
Having a hard time envisioning this, and how it impacts your ability to focus.
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...

-Washington: Art. I, § 24 (enacted 1889)

how it impacts your ability to focus
I think the common term for that is aperture, and just like the aperture (i.e. f-stop) on a camera, it adjusts depth of field. And by adjust, I mean eliminate. It's like a pinhole camera - you don't focus them because everything is in focus.

It's effective enough that with my peep sights, I can take my glasses off and comfortably sight up on a target that is invisible when not looking through the sight.

Apparently it is capably of overcoming parallax as well.

The disc on the glasses things sounds like the merit optical disk.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

I've not seen that article before, a custom ground set of glasses for one's desired target distance. Pretty cool. I have thought of lasik surgery. Haven't chased it yet.

When I first looked at the article, I thought I'd hit the page advertising the THIRD remake of "The Fly."

"Help me..."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

LASIK is pretty awesome. Only downside has been dry eyes, but frankly, I'll take it. Had mine done 8 years ago- best money I've spent. Less expensive than ever and less side effects than the older methods.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Pomme wrote:
MudPuppy98 wrote:

I like to keep it simple with iron sights. I think it's best to be familiar with a gun the way it came out of the box. Sometimes I use a scope I have, it's kind of bulky. My glock came with white dots on the iron sights but had to paint my own on my Ruger MK III standard. If anyone knows about a not too expensive red dot, let me know.
I like the Bushnell TRS-25, although I haven't used it on a pistol I believe it would work really well. Small size and small dot are plusses, and it can mount pretty low to the bore axis.
It can be had at Amazon for about $70.
ScorpionHunter wrote:
Impugning the intellect, maturity and sanity of ______________ has been a consistent message of the antis for decades.
QFT

MyFitIsGo wrote:
Pomme wrote:
MudPuppy98 wrote:

I like the Bushnell TRS-25, although I haven't used it on a pistol I believe it would work really well. Small size and small dot are plusses, and it can mount pretty low to the bore axis.
It can be had at Amazon for about $70.
I love my Holosun on the ruger. Small, 2MOA dot, easy to use and low-lying.

Photo here:

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Fukshot wrote:Norman Wong is local to us. Near Mission and Geneva in SF.

https://plus.google.com/110330546907802 ... l=us&hl=en

or, you can take this thing he wrote to your regular place.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/wong1.htm
Update: I went to see Dr Wong and he did an excellent job. I am very satisfied. I brought my mark III and Glock to his consultation room and used it to fine tune his prescription then we went to the front of the store with a makeshift wood pistol on a tripod with real iron sights on it to aim at stuff across the street. Other clients were wondering what was up!
It wasn't cheap, $190 for the consult and over $200 for the glasses but it's better to have one less gun and see what the hell I'm doing!
My target shooting has improved immensely and have been hitting the bull's eye at ten yards!

It's amazing to be able to see the sights so clearly, I didn't realize there was a space on both sides of the front sight between the fork of the rear sight https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... jmdf6JjGKH

I highly recommend it!

CDFingers wrote:I've not seen that article before, a custom ground set of glasses for one's desired target distance. Pretty cool. I have thought of lasik surgery. Haven't chased it yet.

When I first looked at the article, I thought I'd hit the page advertising the THIRD remake of "The Fly."

"Help me..."

CDFingers
Wow, these are some serious shooting glasses. Are you sure these are legal for bench rest though?

After my cataract surgery and correction to 20/25 with horrible astigmatism, I am still trying to figure out which way to go. Either my prescription bi-focal readers(set for computer distance and reading a book) which lets me see through the scope or my 'long distance' glasses which lets me see a long ways. Iron sights and see the sights or long distance and see the target. Either option is not ideal.
I, too, have tried and rejected 'readers' they do not work for me.
Maybe some day when I have extra money I will try a pair just for shooting.
But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.
Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

In my old age, I just close my eyes and pull the trigger as fast as I can .. :w00t:
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more