Day at the range

Well. Just got back from the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. I'm sold. That place is awesome. Reactive Rimfire range, Action Pistol range (for voting members only. Lame) and basic ranges from 25 to 300 yards, and they have a highpower club that does up to 1000 yard shoots. So naturally, I had to check it out.

Waking up this morning, I knew I needed to get out to the range. Was going to be another cooker, but figured if I headed out for a mid morning shoot, it wouldn't be too bad. Got all packed up and headed out to the country. Passed a few GMO free farms (Stopped back by for lunch on the way home), and enjoyed the scenery.

Some things I really appreciated about the range. First, they include brass catchers, sand bags, and carpet remnants for general use. Targets are $.25 for the large ones, and if you're shooting 100 yard official targets, replacement centers are just $.10 instead. Friendly staff and for a Sunday, it was not totally jammed up with people. Those that were there were safe, and the RO's were keeping an eye out without being over the top dicks.

Brought along the Garand and the newly modified AR, as well as the 22 and the 44 for pistol time- Still shooting to the right with the Garand a bit, so next range session I'll go ahead and do some clicks to the sights. Wanted to make sure I was using a good sight window before monkeying with the adjustments. It was pretty awesome. My handloads definitely have a little more oomph than the regular korean ball I've got. Surprisingly though, even seated, I really don't find it punishing to shoot at all still. My favorite rifle. I only shot at 100 yards today for both rifles.

Next up was the newly modified AR with the Thordsen stock, and the new Kineti-tech muzzle brake. Happy to say, both performed admirably. The Thordsen stock was very comfortable, and the brake worked as advertised. Didn't annoy my neighbors in the lane next to me in the slightest. It managed muzzle rise well, perhaps not quite to the level of the Griffin, but acceptably enough, and having it redirect the sound forward makes all the difference to me. Also, it's more pleasant to shoot because it's not as loud right on your ear. I'm also a far better shot with a red dot, but that's to be expected.

Next headed to the pistol side, and setup at 10 yards. Ran 5 or 6 mags through the MKII on general principle, and then moved on to the Virginian Dragoon. For those who have been keeping up on that thread, it was very, very sticky to eject 44 Mag brass. That said, with the 44 special brass, it ran flawlessly. I'll just be shooting that from here on out instead of screwing around with having the cylinder futzed with. After all, it's my $300 revolver, so screw it. It's also a pussycat with the special loads I worked up. Mid-range loads, just wanted to see how it would do.

Next weekend I'll have to get there early for orientation, but I'll be able to get keys on the weekdays to run the shotgun range with up to 4 friends. Fully equipped commercial throwers and the like. The range also hosts all the good stuff. Appleseed, High Power Rifle, Action shooting, 3 gun, you name it. Happy to have found it! Oh, and what would it be without a pic or two?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Attachments
Notice they have all the goodies on hand. Nice to not need to worry about trucking all that crap to the range. New Firefield spotting scope is pretty awesome.
Notice they have all the goodies on hand. Nice to not need to worry about trucking all that crap to the range. New Firefield spotting scope is pretty awesome.
2014.07.27 Pistol Range (352x625).jpg
AR, with some larger 30 cal holes all over the place from my last clip with the Garand. Barrel was getting hot or I was getting tired with the Garand.
AR, with some larger 30 cal holes all over the place from my last clip with the Garand. Barrel was getting hot or I was getting tired with the Garand.

Re: Day at the range

More target results
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Attachments
OK Group, but definitely shooting a little high. Will make some adjustments to that next time.
OK Group, but definitely shooting a little high. Will make some adjustments to that next time.
Few fliers, but I'm happy overall with my shooting on the MKII. It's still more accurate than I am.
Few fliers, but I'm happy overall with my shooting on the MKII. It's still more accurate than I am.

Excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing.
shinzen wrote: Didn't annoy my neighbors in the lane next to me in the slightest.
My Mosin M44 can, and will, annoy the hell out of pretty much everyone. No brake required!
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Holy Jesus I want to go to there! I made a range trip myself today, but it was hot as balls and I forgot the mags to my 10/22 so I shot my 50 rd. test string of .308 and headed home to the puppy...

But that's a seriously awesome range! Wish Austin had one as nice as that...
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

If we didn't have such restrictions in the state, I'd nominate it for one of the upcoming years LGC gatherings, but sadly, I think we'll just have to make it the place for a NorCal meetup down the road.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:If we didn't have such restrictions in the state, I'd nominate it for one of the upcoming years LGC gatherings, but sadly, I think we'll just have to make it the place for a NorCal meetup down the road.
I'd be comfortable showing up with my non-scary bolt action black rifle for the annual meeting, if it meant I could shoot at that place.

ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:
shinzen wrote:If we didn't have such restrictions in the state, I'd nominate it for one of the upcoming years LGC gatherings, but sadly, I think we'll just have to make it the place for a NorCal meetup down the road.
I'd be comfortable showing up with my non-scary bolt action black rifle for the annual meeting, if it meant I could shoot at that place.
Agreed! The wife and I haven't been to that part of NorCal.
LGC Texas - Vice President

ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:
pies wrote:
ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:I made a range trip myself today, but it was hot as balls
Lone Star?
Yup. Rifle range, far left table. We're you there too?
Yeah, we were at the short pistol range the whole time though. I should have posted something in the Central Texas forum. Next time for sure.

pies wrote:
ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:
pies wrote:
ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:I made a range trip myself today, but it was hot as balls
Lone Star?
Yup. Rifle range, far left table. We're you there too?
Yeah, we were at the short pistol range the whole time though. I should have posted something in the Central Texas forum. Next time for sure.
I'll probably run out there again next weekend, and actually bring my GF this time, if ya'll wanna meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk