IDPA

If I were to consider thinking about maybe doing an IDPA match, what sorts of things should I think about before I go?

There's one next weekend, and I'm thinking of showing up just to watch.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Re: IDPA

First you'll see a bunch of guys and some gals wearing fishing vests without fishing tackle. If you look carefully you'll see big pieces of kydex attached to their midsections. Pretend not to notice.

Following that, there are a bunch of rules that people will explain if you ask and discussions about the difference cover and concealment.

Before anyone shoots a stage, the RO will explain exactly how shoot the stage. If you deviate from the prescribed plan you will be assessed penalties. Extra penalties are awarded if you try to think of a better/efficient/tactically superior way to shoot the stage. Extra points off if you actually do things like house clearing professionally and mention it to the RO.

While shooting the course of fire, you are not allowed to drop magazines during shooting. Extra points if you don't drop any shells on the ground. You also get extra points if you draw a J frame from an ankle holster for kicking it old school.

You get style points for the tactical turtle stance, wearing 5.11, having a flashlight mounted, or shoot a gun that resembles a brick.

When finished shooting, it is required you fix a steely but quick gaze to the left then to the right to show that you have neutralized all threats and to show everyone how operator you look in your killer loops.

That's about it.

First off, all the things spara said will make sense after you've done IDPA for a while.

I enjoy IDPA, and I have learned a lot about shooting. I have also humiliated myself numerous times, and had great fun laughing at myself about it.
The first thing I learned is that all the stuff you see on TV is BS. Shooting someone holding a hostage--extremely hard to do in IDPA, next to impossible in real life. Shooting around barriers looks so simple on TV. Not so in real life. :no:
IDPA is supposed to be about real life situations using your concealed carry gun. Very few people in my IDPA group use a concealable gun. Most use a large frame pistol. That is because they want to compete and have a good score. I use my Kahr that is my concealed carry gun, because that is what I want to learn to use well. (getting off soap box now)

I have made a great bunch of friends. We have a great time, cheering and laughing, being supportive when we shoot bad, making jokes about how many of our relatives (no shoot targets) we have killed. So go in with the attitude that you are going to relax and have a good, safe, time.
Equipment-wise, you will need your pistol, a holster, 2 spare magazines, and a magazine holder thingy. (yes that can be your pocket.) Your holster must ride on your draw side hip. No appendix, cross draw, small of the back, ankle etc. Mag carrier on your other hip.
On your first shoot, relax and TAKE YOUR TIME. It is much more important that you slow down so you remember all the safety rules than it is to look cool for the guys. :clap2: :laugh: :yes: :lol: :thumbup:
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

That's kind of the impression I got. I'm planning on using a full size too, not for score as much as I feel i need to get my shooting thinking out of the box.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Don't watch - just jump in. :) Most IDPA match directors and safety officers know how to deal with newbies and welcome them. You need nothing except for a strong-side holster, mag holder, 3 mags, and a cover garment, which can be anything from an untucked shirt to a tuxedo and top hat. Focus on not breaking any safety rules and don't sweat the other details for your first match. Even though IDPA is the most newbie-friendly, it can also get rule-heavy if the match director is overenthusiastic. Don't worry about the score and just have fun. It's not a test. If you have time before the match, practice drawing from concealment and simple reloading (dropping an empty mag on the ground is fine when your slide locks back after last round, unless a different reload type is specified during the match). Also practice shooting from cover.

Here are a couple of good resources:

http://pemi.org/pdf/idpainfo.pdf

http://necpl.com/images/pdf/IDPA%20Scor ... ummies.pdf

senorgrand wrote:
spara wrote:You also get extra points if you draw a J frame from an ankle holster for kicking it old school.
I'd love to see that! Bonus for a suit jacket over a turtleneck?
ONLY if you're Steve McQueen and drive a '68 Fastback!
LGC Texas - Vice President

begemot wrote:Don't watch - just jump in. :) Most IDPA match directors and safety officers know how to deal with newbies and welcome them. You need nothing except for a strong-side holster, mag holder, 3 mags, and a cover garment, which can be anything from an untucked shirt to a tuxedo and top hat. Focus on not breaking any safety rules and don't sweat the other details for your first match. Even though IDPA is the most newbie-friendly, it can also get rule-heavy if the match director is overenthusiastic. Don't worry about the score and just have fun. It's not a test. If you have time before the match, practice drawing from concealment and simple reloading (dropping an empty mag on the ground is fine when your slide locks back after last round, unless a different reload type is specified during the match). Also practice shooting from cover.

Here are a couple of good resources:

http://pemi.org/pdf/idpainfo.pdf

http://necpl.com/images/pdf/IDPA%20Scor ... ummies.pdf
This. I initially was just going to watch. They said, that if I had my gear to jump right in. Which is what I ended up doing. Its leaps and bounds better than just target shooting. Plus you get to practice all the manual of arms of actually drawings and acquiring targets in the most tactically efficient manner.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Hmm. My slide holster mostly covers the trigger guard, and I've got some crappy velcro shut mag holders. Since I'm not going for speed, I can probably do that my first time out, and buy more kydexy stuff later on if it appeals.

Join!

Heh. Guy at the gun show was snarky about IDPA too.

I like the idea of not having to build up a race gun to compete in IPSC, and I'm not sure what the other alternatives are.

I do know i want to occasionally do more than stand in a booth in a big concrete box plinking away at targets that are always in about the same place.

Join!

In USPSA (US equivalent of IPSC), there's a Production, Limited, Limited(10), Single Stack, and Revolver. Sure a lot of people spend a lot of money on open guns or gaming their production guns so they can shoot insanely fast, but a lot of people (like me) shoot what they brung. My only modification to my guns are fiber optic sights, and yes I did buy guns with nice triggers to begin with, but I know a lot of shooters that are fast with a stock Glock 17.

The fun part of the game is working out how you shoot the course of fire safely, efficiently and quickly. You have an official 5 minute period to figure out how to do this. Making a plan means figuring out transitions, counting the number of rounds needed and when you need to reload, limiting the amount of backing up or bending down and getting up. You may get a COF description ahead of time, but until you walk the field, you can't really formulate a plan. Once you have your plan, then you actually have to execute but then things like a failure to extract or a light primer strike will screw up your round count or you may have to take make up shots on steel, all of these will screw up your plan. You can't just watch a better shooter and copy their plan, your body has to be able to do the things theirs can do. For example, I shot a stage at the Area 4 Nationals last week where you had to shoot under a barricade. Younger or more flexible shooters could squat or stoop and shoot under the barricade, but because of old injuries I saved that part for last so I could flop (into the mud) into prone to shoot it. Getting up would have just taken too much time. It's those kind of things that make it fun for me.

I do take defensive courses and practice with my carry gun but 'slicing the pie' to clear a room isn't my idea of a fun way to spend a weekend morning. USPSA also uses a lot of traditional techniques and drills like El Presidente and the Mozambique drill as well as strong and weak hand shooting. Joining a USPSA club or a private range is one way to get some relief from static shooting, some clubs let members set up bays so they can practice different drills or skills.

While I think training can help with real world situations, my first inclination is to run away and generally avoid trouble. I can draw from a OWB holster and put a round on target 5 yards away in 2 seconds because I practice that a lot, but I think engaging in an exchange of bullets is the last resort. What I'm trying to say is that IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, 3gun are all games, so be safe, have fun, and don't take it too seriously.

Yeah, this wasn't to be a self defense wiz, I'm just looking to experience a new thing. I'm expecting it to be fun, and I don't care if I'm perpetually the slowest.

Join!

Lots of good advice above.

IPSC/USPSA is probably an easier place to start action shooting, as it has fewer finicky rules than IDPA, but either should be fun.

Think safety first, second, and third; accuracy fourth; and speed only after that. The main safety points to keep top-of-mind are, muzzle pointed downrange, and finger out of the trigger guard when drawing, moving, reloading, clearing a jam, etc. You might think you would never make rookie mistakes like that, but when you are under time pressure with a million things to remember, stuff happens.

You WILL get a few procedural penalties the first few matches for not following the finicky rules on reloads, cover, target shooting order, etc. That's OK -- there is no shame in them, and they just add a few seconds to your score. What you want to avoid is a serious safety violation which will get you disqualified (DQ'd) -- and that's if you're lucky!

Most ROs in informal matches will allow new shooters to shoot later in the order, so they can watch how the others approach the stage.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

fknauss wrote: I do know i want to occasionally do more than stand in a booth in a big concrete box plinking away at targets that are always in about the same place.
THIS!
Yeah, this wasn't to be a self defense wiz, I'm just looking to experience a new thing. I'm expecting it to be fun, and I don't care if I'm perpetually the slowest.
AND THIS!

Sound like you've got the right idea and the right attitude. I've been doing IDPA for a year now and I still consistently finish in last place, but I have learned a lot about shooting and I've had a great time.

Go for it.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle