Re: First 100 yard shoot...damn this is hard!

No one has addressed this, so I guess I will.

Used milsurps may not be the most accurate guns out there, as they've been "shot" before. They're fun and all, and if the bore is good, you can count on 3 MOA if you do your part. There are many other factors that can mess with accuracy. After the first 100 yard cherry popper, there is much to consider.

You can't do much about the bore, unless you slug it and reload that exact size. But the crown may be worn, so you'll want to check that. Re crowning--or even a counter bore if the crown is shredded--is very inexpensive and demonstrates marked advantage in milsurps that have had it done.

There's the trigger. Milsurp trigger are stiff for reasons. They can be un stiffed and they can be smoothed. But once those things are done, you're facing your own self about how smoothly you can get the trigger to release. It will take "a few more shots" to collect that skill.

Yah, yah: sights. They are less important than the bore/crown and the trigger--if those two are funky somehow, spending a thou on a groovy sight will not do anything. With a decent scope and patience, a shooter can watch his heart beat as the cross hairs jump. But in order to do that, the shooter needs a very solid hold. So there's another area to plumb.

Bipods are fine, but in my experience, the legs need to be splayed out away from the shooter. If they're exactly vertical, you'll be fine, but what usually happens is the legs are pointing a bit to the rear, and at discharge, the gun moving back raises the muzzle, affecting accuracy. I splay my bi pod toward the front to avoid this trouble.

A solid sand bag or similar rest under the hand guard, not the barrel, will be a good thing to begin with. Once that's mastered, a small squeeze bag will be needed to place under the butt stock somewhere for fine adjustments with no communication of heart beat--accept at the shoulder, right at the brachial artery.

Finally, ammo. You've begun reloading, but working up loads may be still somewhat mysterious. Milsurp ammo will deliver 3 MOA. Some is a bit better, but reloads with the correct size bullet and a charge that gives the tightest groups will be what you'll pursue as you progress along the pathway to mastery.

I have a long ways to go, but I now know the various features of what I'm up against. The one thing I don't yet have is that little squeeze bag. I'm going to have one made by my local leather dude, filled with fine, white sand.

My goal is mastery of the 300 yard target because local reasons. I will achieve that by shooting at 400 very often--something I've only done a few times. My plan is to zero at 200 and learn to hold twelve inches high at 300, and two inches low at 100. I will hold about two feet high at 400, so what I'm really up against is learning those two holds, at 3 and 4 hundred. I might not get it next week, as it were, but I have my plan.

Best of luck.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

"Ambush" rifle by Daniel Defense: 18" free floated barrel, 6.8mm, Giessele SSA trigger, Magpul UBR stock for balance, and a Leupold Mark AR 3-9 x 40 scope. Using a Harris bipod and rear squeeze bag from a bench I can regularly hit a 6" steel disk at 300 yards.

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Fukshot wrote:7.62x39 is pretty much .30 PPC, so accuracy potential is huge with the right stuff.
Yep. Long range ballistics aren't as good, but is not inherently inaccurate. The perceived accuracy gap is due to ammunition choices and the preponderance of milsurps that themselves have minute of barn door. Put cheap ammo with a banged up AK and it's not so good. Your rifle? Different animal.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Cleaned the AR and polished the trigger. A bit smoother than before, but trigger pull is still heavy. I'm reluctant to lighten the hammer spring since I'm shooting Wolf 7.62x39.

More importantly, I was impressed at being able to put the trigger back together without reference material! Stoner was the man!

Packed the new rifle rest and will test-out the new brass ammo in a cold barrel and see what my MOA is next range trip.

Thanks all!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Went back to the range with my rifle and new rifle rest.

Second group is the brass ammo I bought. Seven rounds from a cold barrel. Almost 1.5" MOA.

First group is the wolf from a warm barrel. About 4 MOA.

The heavy trigger is going to limit me from getting much better than that...I can feel the rifle moving of target when I squeeze. I also think the hammerhead grip is causing me problems. I might bite the bullet (so to speak) and put a regular grip on the rifle and adding a bullet button.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."
Attachments
2014111895115303.jpg
2014111895115254.jpg