First 100 yard shoot...damn this is hard!

So I finally got my AR pretty-well zeroed. I'm shooting 7.62x39 out of it and my group at 50 yards looked like a cannonball punched through the lollipop. Very satisfying.

So, for the first time in my life, I walked a target out to 100 yards.

Wow...all my shots, but a couple of flyers, were inside the 9 ring, but I didn't hit bullseye ONCE. I gotta go to Appleseed or something, because I need some serious help.

Still..at least I'm no longer a 100 yard virgin. ;)

I'll post pics when I get back to a computer.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: First 100 yard shoot...damn this is hard!

Depending on what kind of 7.62 you're shooting, it might get scattered like that at 100 yards. The wolf/tula steel cheap stuff is pretty fickle, but I can only speak from experience of the steel .223, not 7.62 . My groups of steel .223 at 100 yards with a scope also are pretty scattered (minute of hand?), which prompted the shooter next to me to say, "gotta reload man, gotta reload". He spoke truthfully though, as he was tack driving stuff into 1 inch targets at 100 yards.

Your 50 yards is pretty lethal though!

But welcome to the 100 yards!

Remember, your group size will increase as you double the yardage. About double in fact.
In English, if you want to find an measure of accuracy at a range other than 100 yards, you need only multiply the size of your group (in inches) by the number of hundreds of yards you are shooting at (in notation, #MOA = (size)/(range in hundreds of yards). So a 2" group at 50 yards is equal to 2" divided by one half of 100 yards (in notation, (2")/(0.5 hundred yards), or 4 MOA. A 6" group at 250 yards is equal to 6" divided by 2.5 hundred yards, or (for the non-mathematically-inclined, a calculator is useful here) 2.4 MOA.

https://billstclair.com/DoingFreedom/ge ... h1203.html

That said, were you shooting from a rest and sandbags, elbows and sling, standing? To get a good feel for what the rifle can do, a rest is best, combined with the same ammo. It will give you an indication whether its the ammo or the rifle, and if they are both doing great, then that leaves the shooter.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

A good rest is important if you don't have one. I have this (as do several other folks here) and it's fantastic- especially for just $22.99- good to figure out what is possible out of your rifles and pistols without worrying about fatigue being an issue.

http://www.amazon.com/MTM-FRR-30-Front- ... oting+rest
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The only drawback it that it's yet another thing to lug to the range, but since ranges are sometimes hit or miss with what they've got, and even if they do have stuff it's usually only those block things and sand bags. Which are ok, but definitely not optimal. It's nice to be able to spin the height in and lock it down. Works for handguns well too.
- Maya Angelou

I've tried a couple. I currently have a grip pod (not installed as it's an evil feature) and a Harris for my Mosin sniper. I've also used the UTG and some other cheap Chinese thing that lived on my SKS for a very short period of time.

FWIW, the UTG and Chinese thing were really bad. Poor adjustment, wobbly.

The Harris and the Grip Pod are awesome- Grip Pod would trigger the evil feature banhammer though. Harris has tight adjustments, springs are fantastic and hold it in place the way it should with no wobble. Caldwell gets good reviews and is much more reasonably priced, but no personal experience.
- Maya Angelou