Finally making it happen - Appleseed April 18-19

I got my shooting mat on order and a few things waiting for pickup at Costco (econosized bottle of Ibuprofen, etc) and arrangements to get more .22lr ammo. My wife paid for me to go to the Patriot's Day Appleseed event in April.

While I have not been to Benchrest before (it's almost a guntry club but not quite) I am familiar with it from other folks. This should be a great weekend.

So yes, even if it took...a few years I am finally going to an Appleseed. NPA, here I come!
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Re: Finally making it happen - Appleseed April 18-19

Yeah, going to borrow the kiddo's dedicated .22lr AR. The M91/30 will come with and I may attempt to score a Rifleman with it if there is time and I do well with the AR. I've got a stock I need to shape the butt of to fit the rubber decelerator pad, if I get that done I'll shoot the whole Sunday with it.

Report will definitely follow.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Ibuprofen is a great idea since you'll be switching from standing, kneeling and prone positions. Also make sure that you have a sling and possibly a tarp if the weather doesn't cooperate or in my case, the firing line was muddy and I didn't want to get the yoga mats we were using totally filthy. Bring snacks to keep your blood sugar up because they can be long days. I learned a lot at Appleseed that I carry over into 3gun.

spara wrote:Ibuprofen is a great idea since you'll be switching from standing, kneeling and prone positions. Also make sure that you have a sling and possibly a tarp if the weather doesn't cooperate or in my case, the firing line was muddy and I didn't want to get the yoga mats we were using totally filthy. Bring snacks to keep your blood sugar up because they can be long days. I learned a lot at Appleseed that I carry over into 3gun.
I'm a pretty fair shot with my Mosin as it sits now, once I get my NPA dialed into my stance I will be better.

Yeah, I got clearance to get a shooting mat but I am so cheap I will get a weather resistant dog house pad. ;)

I'll also have the insulin pump for a month at that point so maintaining a lower blood sugar won't hurt much aside from the joint pain I'll feel more of. Water and buffered analgesics are the order of the day along with a good trail mix.

Good show ole bean! I was close to signing up but then after browsing the Appleseed pages, it appears they have done away with the documents saying basically setup x is preferred but "shoot what you got" is OK?
Basically I have nothing with the type of sling they desire, nor anything beyong open iron v-notch sights...
I got one 87A left that I would be ok drilling swivels into.. but I take it that tube-mags don't muster for the course of fire?
Anyway, I saw nothing definitive.
Brian in StL

The folks I did the Appleseed with were super accommodating, and I'm sure they'd work with you no matter what you brought. A couple of thoughts though.

Tube mag would be tough unless you had speed loaders that were pre-loaded with the correct amount of rounds, as the course of fire has varied amounts of rounds required in each pass. Load two magazines, one with two rounds, one with 5 and the like. Doesn't mean it can't be done, it will just increase the difficulty for you.

If you can't detach the sling from the rear of the gun and get a tight cinch around your bicep with it, then you'd be stuck using the hasty sling all day, which isn't as effective, but would be doable.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

You'll enjoy it. I have done about three Appleseed events over the past three years, and have learned a lot. There are several threads here about my experiences there.

Tube fed .22s are not ideal, but a couple were used when I shot. The RO gave them a little extra prep time.

SenorGrande, I didn't offer a suggestion on your other thread about a hunting sling/carry strap, but for Appleseed or a true shooting sling, definitely get a GI web sling. It's easy to adjust, and you can get it good and tight, which is critically important.

Soreness was definitely a problem for me. My neck and elbows were killing me after several hours in the prone position.

Whatever you use for a mat, consider putting extra padding under your elbows, plus maybe wrestling style elbow pads. Stretch early and often.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946