May 10th range trip!

Recently had an opportunity to go with a friend to the rangeI It was also a Beretta Day at the range. Beretta came in and for $10 dollars you got to shoot five rounds with three different Berettas. The three chosen were Beretta 92 FS 9mm, Beretta Pico .380 cal, and a Beretta APX .40 cal. Both of us shot the same guns and had slightly different experiences with them. Our shooting distance was 7 yards in an indoor range. Unfortunately some of our targets were removed before I got a chance to photograph them. We were given one gun at a time and 5 rounds. For both of us the Beretta 92 FS was easy to handle and the point and shoot matched our skill levels. The Pico was a bit different. My friends hands are a bit larger than mine and the Pico was just too small to get a good grip. It jammed on his second shot. I managed to shoot it fairly well and had 3 out of 5 in the 10 ring. The Beretta APX in 40 was the reverse for us. I didn't like the .40 cal round before and this time was no exception. While the size of the pistol fit both of our hands fine, I only managed to keep 3 shots on paper and none where I pointed. My friend however killed the paper with it. In all of the models the sights were easy to see.

Beretta 92 FS:
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-fs/

Beretta Pico:
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/pico/

Beretta APX:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/first-look/b ... er-pistol/
http://www.guns.com/2015/02/23/beretta- ... r-service/
http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/2015 ... px-pistol/
Wish I had taken pictures. At the time I didn't realize how new this was. :wall:

After the Beretta shoot we toured their display of handguns and rfiles. Overall the selection was nice. I kept on being drawn to a few bolt action rifles and wishing they would have been with wood furniture.

We decided to shoot some more having brought our own guns and rented a lane for an hour. We did an informal ammo and gun test. The guns were my CZ 75B and my friends Beretta PX4 Storm. Both guns are 9mm Luger. The ammo tested perFecta 9mm Luger 115gr FMJ and GECO 9mm Luger 124gr FMJ. Neither ammo is absolutely clean but my personal inclination was that the perFecta was a bit dirtier. My observation is based on my cleaning time. As for shooting both rounds were comparable and neither shooter experienced much difference with either ammo. Groups were fairly consistent at 7 yards. Both ammo price in a similar range. The PerFecta is around $11 dollars at Walmart and the GECO can be had from the internet for around $13 dollars for a box of 50 rounds. Each of us shot both guns and ammo. Two magazines for each gun was loaded with 10 rounds of perFecta in one magazine and 10 rounds of GECO in another. The only difference was that each of us shot our own guns better. The Strom comes with three different grips and can be sized for more comfort. The CZ is in standard configuration with no mods.

After testing we just shot some of the perFecta each with our own guns. The target attached I shot on the left sequence of 10 rounds two magazines at 7 yards with my CZ and on the right was my friend and his Storm. Both of us had fairly consistent groups. For practice ammo the perFecta performed as wellas the GECO. The pics a bit fuzzy, oops!

edit: added links changed misidentified Nano to Pico.
Last edited by sikacz on Wed May 20, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
perFecta.JPG
Target May 10 2015m.JPG

Re: May 10th range trip!

JohnGradyCole wrote:Nice group!

I'm surprised no manufacturers do the same thing around here. I'd love to go test some things out. You'd think it'd be an easy way to drive some sales.
It was a real fun opportunity. It was a three day event and they had a raffle for each day. The prize was a hundgun each day. Mine must have gotten lost in the mail! :roflmao: This range isn't even one of the large ones, but it was really nice having the event there.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I have a Beretta Px4 compact. I'm rather amazed at the trigger pull on it. It seems so very light. Do you have the same experience? The 92FS and my 84F have similar trigger pulls and are much stiffer.
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

sturner wrote:I have a Beretta Px4 compact. I'm rather amazed at the trigger pull on it. It seems so very light. Do you have the same experience? The 92FS and my 84F have similar trigger pulls and are much stiffer.
All the Beretta's had good trigger pulls. The only Beretta I wasn't happy with was the one I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with. It was also a striker type. I suspect all the test guns were well broken in.

I've been laughing all morning. In conversing with my shooting buddy and looking up some info I realized this morning that the Beretta APX was just unveiled this past February. At the range my reaction was it looks a lot like a Glock! It didn't even occur to me how new it was. Should have spent another $10 and seen if they'd have let me shoot all 15 rounds with it. And I should have taken pics! :roflmao:

Catalyst wrote:Nice shooting. Yeah that 92FS seems to be calling my name.
Yeah, I'm rather proud of that one only four outside the box. A few went through the same holes. I felt like I was on a roll. I had my reading glasses on and I concentrated on not releasing the trigger too early. Your reminder from our last outing. It's sometimes easy to forget. Thanks!

The 92 FS was a nice shooting gun. I have always liked it and would probably enjoy having one. If I bought one I'd start collect the whole list of Berettas! So for now No! Must resist. But, I'm just so happy to shoot better with my CZ. The laser cartridge practice is working.

FlyGuy wrote:For what it is worth, at the Athena Gun Range they have posted a couple of sponsored days similar to the one you just described.

Here is the link...http://athenagunclub.com/news-events/
HK Day seems the best deal by number of shots, although I would be very interested in shooting a Wilson. Are the events open to non members?

HK Day seems the best deal by number of shots, although I would be very interested in shooting a Wilson. Are the events open to non members?[/quote]

I am not a member and received the invite, so my guess is that it is open to everyone.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

FlyGuy wrote:HK Day seems the best deal by number of shots, although I would be very interested in shooting a Wilson. Are the events open to non members?
I am not a member and received the invite, so my guess is that it is open to everyone.[/quote]
I wonder if there's any additional fee?