POSTAL MATCHES 8 & 9 -- FULL DETAILS

Below is a link to the full instructions for LGC Postal Matches 8 & 9.

One match is for pistols, rimfire and centerfire.

The other is for .22 rifles.

These matches are structured to fight the mid-winter blahs.
LGC Postal Matches 8, 9 Instructions.pdf
(134.58 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
The download count resets every time the instructions are updated. As of March 3rd, there were about 120 downloads recorded.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

Re: POSTAL MATCHES 8 & 9 -- FULL DETAILS

SailDesign wrote:For the pistol target, does inside the square count as a hit, or does it have to touch a physical part of the fly?

For the rifle, is it inside or outside scoring - i.e. does the hit have to be totally within the outline of the fly (wings included?) of does a nick count? :)
Excellent questions from all.

In the rifle match, any nick counts, including a scrape on the outer edge of the wing. That's the same as when scoring a standard target: If the true bullet hole barely touches the next higher ring, even by the hair of a hair, you get the higher score.

For the pistol match, any hit within the fly's diamond counts as a 1-point splat. I first thought of making the fly an X and the outer diamond a 10, but why complicate it?

I've just added a few sentences to the target/scoring sections to make all of this clear.

Thanks to SailDesign and TheViking for the heads up.

Paco wrote:
SailDesign wrote:For the pistol target, does inside the square count as a hit, or does it have to touch a physical part of the fly?

For the rifle, is it inside or outside scoring - i.e. does the hit have to be totally within the outline of the fly (wings included?) of does a nick count? :)
Excellent questions from all.

In the rifle match, any nick counts, including a scrape on the outer edge of the wing. That's the same as when scoring a standard target: If the true bullet hole barely touches the next higher ring, even by the hair of a hair, you get the higher score.

For the pistol match, any hit within the fly's diamond counts as a 1-point splat. I first thought of making the fly an X and the outer diamond a 10, but why complicate it?

I've just added a few sentences to the target/scoring sections to make all of this clear.

Thanks to SailDesign and TheViking for the heads up.
Any time you need nit-pickers, you can count on at least me. I'm sure the Viking won't be far behind, though. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Any time you need nit-pickers, you can count on at least me. I'm sure the Viking won't be far behind, though. :)
:beer2:

Contests like these need nit-picking. It certainly helps me. Target matches are essentially about detail and precision, and when I overlook or ignore what seems an insignificant issue, I can end up confusing a lot of people.

So yeah, please, keep on keepin' on.

Paco wrote:

Just to pick some more nits, in the pistol match part of the hole just has to be within the diamond, right? Not the whole hole within?

Almost off topic, but.... Collected my new BL22 today, and discovered that a "normal" scope has to ride so far forward that both rings have to go on the aft end of the scope (behind the turrets) So I searched for a shorter 6x than my Nikon, and found a thing called a BugBuster.... Fate has noe decreed that I shoot the BL22, glass division, in this match. :)
Scope arrives Tuesday.

Good news/Bad news dept.

So, I headed out to the range today equipped with fly-targets, a BL22 with a BugBuster scope on it, and the little Beretta 87. All ready to do some damage.

It turns out the indoor range doesn't allow you to sit on the floor (unless they can take video and post it to FaceBook with your name all over it!) and sitting on a chair with no support just didn't hack it either. So scratch the Rifle/glass division.

Trying to focus on the foresight of the Beretta as well as the individual flies was more than my old eyes wanted to do today, but I had fun trying. Scratch also the open sights/pistol division.

However, I tried standing freehand, no slings'n'things and shooting the BL22 at 25 yards, and was very pleased with the results. About a 3" group (3.125" if you want to quibble) and had a blast. The little Beretta was also used with a larger target and continues to be a blast to shoot.

All in all, I had more fun at the range than I have for a long while. I'll try to behave and concentrate on the next Postal Match. :)

Sounds like fun to me.

I had a similar problem when I shot match 9 today. The range was an ocean of mud and ice. No way I was sitting on the ground. So I moved one of the small benches to 15 yards and sat cross legged on top of it. Once I got reasonably comfortable, I shot the match. I ran my wife's Sleek Black Beauty, a Kidd 10/22 with a Mueller APV scope.

Then I put 100 rounds through her Walther CCP. No problems whatsoever. After about 200 rounds with no issues, I am getting comfortable with its reliability.