Re: Mad Minute Discussion

Bucolic wrote:That was my question too though I interpreted it differently. Paco, a ruling please!
Bucolic and Quis: For rimfire semi-autos with detachable mags, pre-loaded mags are allowed, even encouraged. It's a specific subdivision, and those shooting semi-auto rimfires will be competing only against those with other rifles of the same type. So there's no scoring advantage. I expect that almost everyone entering this division will use pre-loaded mags with a max of 10 rounds.

The point of the actual drill was teaching sustained fire. If you have to stop and load a 10-round mag, you'll eat up a lot of the minute and lose concentration.

Hope this answer helps.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

Here's something I found interesting.

Here it is Wednesday. I shot on Sunday. So today I have developed a bruise. Ah. Shouldering it fast clearly caused me to mis-mount the rifle. Now I am doubly motivated to haul out the Yugo 24/47 and pay attention to these two things: mounting the rifle and not squeezing until I have the paper inside the sight hood. Where the hood on the VZ24 is more like ears, the hood on the Yugo is truly a hood. I should be able to put the paper in there before squeezing.

I hope to shoot fewer rounds but make more hits.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Inquisitor wrote:So, taking a 3x5 index card and cutting an inch off works for the target?
If you cut 1.4 inches off the height that would work well as a target reduced for a 50-foot shoot. Good idea. The extra .2 inches of width won't matter.

The dimensions should be about 2.8 x 3.6 inches.

I just tried shooting this at the local range with my Mosin, but multiple mechanical issued prevented me from completing the match.

Besides sticky bolt problems, which have been an ongoing issue with that rifle when it heats up, I had a new one: nearly every time I pushed rounds down from the stripper clip, but magazine trapdoor latch gave way and rounds dumped out the bottom. I'll have to see if I can figure that one out.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:I just tried shooting this at the local range with my Mosin, but multiple mechanical issued prevented me from completing the match.

Besides sticky bolt problems, which have been an ongoing issue with that rifle when it heats up, I had a new one: nearly every time I pushed rounds down from the stripper clip, but magazine trapdoor latch gave way and rounds dumped out the bottom. I'll have to see if I can figure that one out.
You can certainly shoot the match again when you fix that mag problem. I hope you do re-shoot it.

I think I've got a spare magazine I can let you try, as I got one from Josh. My bolt has been pretty good to go after a lot of cleaning and polishing, I haven't taken the last step and snipped a link off the spring yet. I might try that after I've got a new one on the way.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Inquisitor wrote:Does anyone know if they used stripper clips or swapped the box mag when they did this with the Enfield?
They used "chargers" (i.e. clips).

Here' a quote from the site titled "Historical Firearms: "Then came the so called ‘Mad Minute’ stage fired from prone at a target 300 yards out. This was to be fired with 5 rounds loaded - 1 in the chamber and 4 in the magazine, the rifleman would then reload with 5-round chargers firing until 60 seconds had elapsed."

WWI BSA Short Magazine Lee Enfield .303 Rifle with 5-round charger

We had a break in the weather so I shot the match today with one of my 1022s. Also shot the bullseye match. The former is a Kidd rifle with an ultralight barrel, single stage trigger at 1.5 pounds, muzzle device, and speed magazine release. It was really great for this kind of shoot.

Here's a picture of the 1022 and the 2245 i shot the bullseye with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote:We had a break in the weather so I shot the match today with one of my 1022s. Also shot the bullseye match. The former is a Kidd rifle with an ultralight barrel, single stage trigger at 1.5 pounds, muzzle device, and speed magazine release. It was really great for this kind of shoot.

Here's a picture of the 1022 and the 2245 i shot the bullseye with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What was your score :)

Bucolic wrote: Here's a picture of the 1022 and the 2245 i shot the bullseye with.

Have we seen pics of that 10/22 build before, Bucolic? That is amazing!

The stock looks like an ergonomically perfect piece of driftwood.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Mad Minute Discussion

I think I posted images of it before. I actually built two of them. This one was going to be mine and the other, my wife's. She has never shot hers. Hers has a Kidd lightweight barrel, mine is the Kidd ultralight.

The one with the silver barrel weighs in at 5 lb 1 oz, with the red dot mounted. The other, 5lb 9oz. The difference in weight is pretty much the difference in the barrels.

The Altamont stocks are wonderful.

Here are a couple images of "the twins." As you can see, they are fraternal. They both shoot sub-MOA at 50 yards if I mount a scope. The black on is slightly more accurate although they are virtually indistinguishable.

I accidentally deleted two related posts while trying to edit one of mine. The first was from Quis asking if the British Army rifleman of the WWI era used only clips, or if they also used pre-loaded mags.

My deleted answer: I'm not an expert on Lee-Enfields, but it's my understanding that the WWI Mark III mags were basically loaded with clips. I believe they were removed only for cleaning.

The Small Magazine Enfields held five rounds in what were officially termed internal magazines. Those mags were soon expanded to hold 10 rounds. Removable mags were a slightly later alteration.

Any corrections or additions from our true Milsurpians will be appreciated.

In my mercifully short time in the cadet force at school in the UK, and on the long-range rifle team (No.4 MkIIs) I never saw a preloaded mag or a belt that would carry them. Pouches issued were sized for 5-shot clips only (rims under-over-under-over-under, not lapped the way you see some folks doing it.)

We were not issued live rounds except at the range, and the team guns were modified for single-shot only, so the only time we carried anything in pouches it was parade-ground dummies, very prettily painted silver, with red bullets. Never a loaded mag. You could fill a mag in very few seconds, and had the option to "top up" a half-used one. Preloaded would have removed that option and taken up far more space. Plus, when these things were in use, there wasn't enough spare steel to go round dropping them when empty. Wasteful that would have been.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.