HANDICAP SYSTEM for LGC BULLSEYE MATCHES

Here is an introduction to the handicap system we'll be testing out in the Bullseye club. It will begin with this match (Match 3) and will include all members who have already submitted two qualifying scores.

The LGC Bullseye Handicap System

There are many handicap systems used by different Bullseye clubs. I chose a simple and fair one that’s well liked by a number of relatively small clubs.

The system allows everyone a chance to appear on the handicap winner list despite major differences in skill and experience.

In a small club, handicap scores can sometimes close the gap a bit too dramatically between beginners and experts (since the experts’ handicaps are so low). Because of that, I am going to publish two sets of winning scores -- actual scores and handicap scores. In that way, expert shooters can keep their bragging rights while newer shooters gain theirs.

To further offset any skewing toward lower averages, our system requires a minimum actual average of 115 to first qualify for the handicap winning list.

Shooters with lower averages will have their scores logged and counted as qualifying entries, and they will, of course, be considered full members of the Bullseye club. But they won’t be listed as winners until their real averages increase. As their scores improve, they will qualify for the handicap winning lists.

How It Works

Our system uses a percentage of a perfect score to establish a base handicap score. A member’s handicap rating is determined by subtracting the average of her/his two highest scores to date from the base handicap score.

Our base handicap is 96.66 percent of our actual perfect score. Since our true perfect score is 320 (because we count Xs for extra points), our top score for handicap calculation is 309 (96.66 percent of 320).

So, if shooter X has an average score of 250, what’s her/his handicap?

It’s calculated like this: 309 minus 250 = 59. The handicap rating is 59.

If that shooter scores 252 in a match, her/his true score plus handicap will be 252 + 59 = 311.

(BTW: Anyone who manages a true average above 309 is a scratch shooter and has no handicap score.)

Most clubs disqualify handicap entries that exceed a true perfect score. We won’t be that harsh. Instead, in such cases we’ll assume the best and simply log the true score for future averaging.

Recalculating

Because new Bullseye shooters often improve rapidly, I’ll recalculate the handicaps every three or four matches using the two highest scores to date. And I will continue to post two lists of winners: handicap scores and true scores.

I hope this is clear.

I will post the Bullseye Match 3 standings on Tuesday, April 19th.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop