Wabbit Challenge - lessons learned.

Well, since I had a day off today, and the rain stopped and the temps dropped, I reckoned it was time to hit the range. As soon as I left the island, the heat and mugginess returned, but not as bad as yesterday.

Pasting an orange "spot" on the bullseye, I stuck the poor wabbit out at 50 yards and sighted through the scope. Dang, that target looks small at 50 yards, even with a 4-by scope. :)
Ah, well, the bull was easy to see, so full steam ahead.

A small sighting target was just below, and after 5 shots it was apparent that the beast was still sighted in from last time at 50 yards. Rifle is a Winchester 1885 in 22LR - not a lightweight, but not a heavy-weight either - perfect for the job of shooting offhand. Nikon Prostaff 4xwhatever mounted on top so I can actually see the target :)

Some time between the sighters and the shoot, the wind either died, or sprang up from my left (target below) and my final score was 104. Not to be a cry-baby, but I wondered how well I might have done if the centre of all those shots was right on the bull. So to the scanner and the puter and AutoCAD.

5 minutes later, with the help of AutoCAD's built-in centre finder, I was able to draw the holes in the "right" place. For an increase of a whopping 4 points (Count them, Four....) Not what I had hope for, although nothing to sneeze at. On the target, the actual holes are, well, holes - and the mocved holes are blue circles.

Lessons:
1. Watching a 7 show up in competition is a bummer. But at least it wasn't a "0"
2. As long as your group is as tight as you can get it, a small variation in Point of Impact doesn't actually make THAT much difference.
and
3. Damn! That was fun whatever the outcome!

Thanks, Paco!
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
Wabbit adjusted.jpg

Re: Wabbit Challenge - lessons learned.

Bucolic wrote:Autocad!? Nice, Sail! That's like bringing a nuclear cruise missile to a knife fight. I love it.
Well, I could have used OnTarget, but it only tells me where the centre is, and won't let me move the holes....

I was gratified to see that OT and A'cad agreed on the location of the centre, though. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.