50m pistol faces the firing squad

50m pistol faces the firing squad

This is a shame. I always enjoy the various marksmanship events, particularly the pistol events. The article says it's because of gender issues - the 50m pistol is a mens-only event and they want better equality and representation by the women. I would think it would be a better thing to just add women to the competition instead of eliminating what is one of the hardest of the shooting events.
Last edited by Bubblehead on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I aim to misbehave"

Re: 50m pistol faces the firing squad

spara wrote:It doesn't say why women can't compete in 50 meter pistol. I regularly practice 25 yard group shooting and occasionally train to shoot at 50 yards when I know that it will be part of a match. I'm chalking it up to the "Olympics hates guns" theory.
I can't find any authoritative document that says why women can't compete in this event. USA Shooting's stance on it is that all shooting events should be open to all competitors, regardless of gender.

This one really pisses me off - in a sport where women tend to really excel and out-shoot the men, we are withholding the toughest of the events from them.
"I aim to misbehave"

50m pistol was always a mens event over the years. 25m standard pistol would belong to womens, while 25m rapid would belong to men's. I believe 10m airpistol is the only event where both women and men compete same rules albeit 60shots men and 40 shots women.

In rifle, 50m prone belongs to men. 50m 3position would have men and women, but with women shooting half the amount of shots men do. (60 vs 120) and finally 10m air rifle womens shooting 40shots vs mens 60.

I don't know why the events arent more equivalent between the sexes. Or even coed. I can't help but think that it simply boils down to sexism, and working the butthurtedness out of it all through rules..

I'm surprised an shooting competitions are still in international sports. Can they even practice enough in some countries where shooting is (or all but) banned? Why would anyone watch they can't relate to anyway? Maybe that's the problem. Viewership is so bad that it's easier to add something people will watch.

Go back to Olympic pistol dueling with realistic airsoft dueling pistols and paint projectiles. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... l-dueling/

I'd watch team paintball over fencing.
Brian