Second "MAD MINUTE" Starts Now!

The LGC's second "Mad Minute" shooting match is now underway.

It ends on Monday, August 14th @ 6pm EDT.

New stuff:

1. We have some special prizes for the top winners.

2. We've added a division for single-shot rifles -- also open to anyone who'd like to try shooting the match loading one round at a time.

Here's a link to all the details:
LGC Mad Minute II go.pdf
(354.35 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
For those unfamiliar with the match concept, there are some great YouTube videos that show various Mad Minute techniques.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

Re: Second

Maccabee wrote:Sounds like fun!

To clarify, I can only use one mag and have to shout and reload that mag as many times as possible in 1 minute?
Actually, you don't have to shout at the magazine. :laugh:

Basically, you have the details. You can use as many pre-loaded magazines as you have available for 1 minute.
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

To clarify, I can only use one mag and have to shout and reload that mag as many times as possible in 1 minute?
sturner's got it right. You can pre-load as many mags or stripper clips as you wish. But no shouting on the range.

Re: Second "MAD MINUTE" Starts Now!

Luckily, at an indoor range, no one can hear you shout at your leetle box of .22's.

I have three 7-round magazines for my 1970 Marlin 80G, so I loaded them up and got off 16 shots.

Full disclosure: I made the rectangle with the measuring tape I used during the organ building I did between '83 and '92 because it's graduated in millimeters, so this is 7.1 x 9.1 cm. :smart:

I must say, shooting at 50 feet with a scope is I think sort of cheating. I only have one .22 bolt gun, and it has glass. So it goes. But it's purdy because I refinished it with pine tar. Most folks have seen it, but I'm putting a pic here for the new folks who haven't seen it--and to fuck with folks who view on their phones. :mrgreen: I got it for my 18th birthday, and the finish was finished, so I refinished it.

It's loud enough in the indoor range with the Vaquero. I think it unlikely I'll haul a center fire rifle in there. Not never, but highly unlikely. If I shoot another mad minute, it'll have to be out at the Clay Pits.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:Luckily, at an indoor range, no one can hear you shout at your leetle box of .22's.

I have three 7-round magazines for my 1970 Marlin 80G, so I loaded them up and got off 16 shots.

<snippage!>
Interestin' ... I get about 10 or 12 rounds in the minute using a falling block 1885 in 22LR. I think it could have been higher with a centrefire, as the hole would be easier to hit, and the boolit moar pointy-nosed so less accuracy of the hand required. I can now go shoot the "official" match. Watch me only get 5 or 6 off.... :)

Paco - I assume for 25 yards one can just take a piece of paper and fold it in half?
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote:
Paco - I assume for 25 yards one can just take a piece of paper and fold it in half?
SailDesign: Here's the rule for indoor shooting at 50 feet.

(Rimfire shooters: If your only choice is an indoor range, shoot at 50 feet -- or as close to that as possible. Use a target reduced to about 1/3rd of letter size. That would be approximately 2.8 x 3.6 inches – or 7.1 x 9.1 cms.)

Is your range too short to shoot the official 50-yard distance?

If so, I don't have any strong objection to shooting half-size targets at 25 yards -- assuming that's your only option. We want to make this as easy as possible for everyone to participate. Make sure to indicate all that info on your entry.

Of course, if you can shoot at 50 yards that would be more in keeping with the basic contest rules.

Hope this helps.

Merle wrote:Greetings,

I have a faint memory of some clever person fabricating a "speed loader" for 22LR tube magazines.
I did a search, but came up empty - guess my memory of the terminology was wrong.
I've got big ideas for my Marlin lever gun..... :lol:
At any rate, does anybody recall this?

Thanks!
I remember that, too. I think it was fashioned with a tube- refrigerant, vinyl, or something of the right size... one end capped and the other corked. It was a year or so ago...
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote:

I have a faint memory of some clever person fabricating a "speed loader" for 22LR tube magazines.
I did a search, but came up empty - guess my memory of the terminology was wrong.

Thanks!
I remember that, too. I think it was fashioned with a tube- refrigerant, vinyl, or something of the right size... one end capped and the other corked. It was a year or so ago...[/quote

Something like..this? https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/51193 ... ymer-clear

Or check here... http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocati ... 26Ntpr%3D1
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote:
Bacchus wrote:

Thanks!
I remember that, too. I think it was fashioned with a tube- refrigerant, vinyl, or something of the right size... one end capped and the other corked. It was a year or so ago...[/quote

Something like..this? https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/51193 ... ymer-clear

Or check here... http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocati ... 26Ntpr%3D1

AH yes - reminds me of the old time carnival shooting games.

Thank you! :beer2:
Merle from PA

Second "MAD MINUTE" Starts Now!

Paco wrote:

sturner's got it right. You can pre-load as many mags or stripper clips as you wish. But no shouting on the range.
Even though it was fun shooting this challenge today, I did keep the shouting down to a minimum.

Out of 50 shots fired through my scoped Ruger 10/22, I hit the paper 43 times (maybe 44, but I'll play it safe and say 43). I probably could have gotten a few more off if my mag changes were smoother. Practice, practice.

I'll officially email my results in soon.

I did get a light slap on the wrist from the RO at the English Pit for "rapid fire". Will have to find a different venue the next time I try the mad minute.
Last edited by Maccabee on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maccabee wrote:
Paco wrote:

Even though it was fun shooting this challenge today, I did keep the shouting down to a minimum.

Out of 50 shots fired through my scoped Ruger 10/22, I hit the paper 43 times (maybe 44, but I'll play it safe and say 43). I probably could have gotten a few more off if my mag changes were smoother. Practice, practice.

I'll officially email my results in soon.

I did get a light slap on the wrist from the RO at the English Pit for "rapid fire". Will have to find a different venue the next time I try the mad minute.
I knew that was the Engish Pit before I even read your post. Unmistakable. 43 shots in 60 seconds ain't bad.
Thanks for letting me know what score I need to beat. :hooray:

Bucolic wrote:Offered without comment and at the risk of being an asshole, here is my entry from the first mad minute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dayum... I'm going to have to order some more magazines for my Marlin 782.

"Taxes may be raised and cut, legislation may be passed and repealed. But Liberty, like rock worn away by rushing water, is very difficult to restore once lost.". --senorgrand
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster