Period based 3 gun competition. Yes, No, Why, Why not?

Something myself and two of my friends have discussed is how awesome we thought it would be to have period based 3 gun competitions. The one we discussed the most was WW1, to give an example. The rifle/ carbine could be filled by really anything accurate to the time period, since standardization of arms and ammo was rough at best. M1903 springfield, BAR, MP 18, or a Lewis gun to give you primary weapon examples. As a shotgun, again anything accurate to the period so 1897 Winchester, Remington model 10, Remington model 11, or Fn/Browning auto 5 etc. Handgun 1911 (basic GI model would qualify even though it's not exactly period correct), certain webleys, Schofield, Gasser etc. I know the practicality is low considering the price of these weapons and their reproductions. However, if this caught on maybe it would encourage companies to start reproducing some of these old war horses at a lower cost for the new market. (Optimistic with capitalism I know but I can dream damnit.)

Course of fire could get really creative with the start line being in a trench, on the whistle blow climb out, advance across no mans land, firing on the move at various targets to the next trench. Switch to shotgun, clear the trench of targets raid style, ending with a short skeet section to simulate one of the trench gunner tasks of the time, shooting down incoming grenades. Simulate end of ammo, drop shotgun and pull service sidearm, engage targets in the last pillbox/ bunker, (one handed only as per the time, so Olympic style) end course of fire. And by no means would you be expected to dress period correctly, but your ammo carry, and holsters would have to be. So no crazy Kydex webley holster, likely a canvas or leather flap holster, etc.

Other periods discussed were WWII, Korea, Vietnam, even briefly discussed revolutionary war, though this I believe would be impractical for simple reload speed between targets, unless you somehow managed to carry, I don't know roughly 50 flintlock pistols on your person and just dropped one every time you shot a target.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Period based 3 gun competition. Yes, No, Why, Why not?

A worthy idea. I recall hearing about M1 Garand action shooting matches in recent years, somewhere in Texas, I think.

The best example along these lines is Cowboy Action Shooting, http://www.sassnet.com/, which seems to have a lively following.

A key, I think, is to not think in terms of re-enactment with live ammo, but rather an action shooting match with special equipment rules.

Then make the rules as straightforward as possible. Try to avoid religious wars over period correctness, etc.

Recently here in Richmond CA there was a an action shooting match geared toward AK-47s. The rule was based on the ammo used -- 7.62 rimmed cartridge, I believe, which would allow SKS, SVT, M-N, and any kind of copy of those rifles. I believe it was well attended.

I really think anything goes along these lines for action matches as long as you have a place to shoot, people to organize and run it safely (preferably with match experience), and most importantly, enough people to participate and fill out whatever equipment divisions or classifications you contemplate.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

I recall reading that the "Hard as Hell" Multigun match this year included a stage described as "clearing WWI-style trenches". Those competitors would have been using modern weapons, of course.

But it's an interesting stage design idea. If you have ample land and a backhoe, it's easier to make trenches than berms.

Downside is, when it rains they fill with water and mud, just like they did at Verdun.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

I am all in on any competition variations. Friendly competition keeps the game fresh, and the more fun it is, the better the participation. I think it’d be fun to play with the actions and power factors assigned to the different stages, so you may get a bonus for using a bolt gun but a deduction if it’s only a .22. Same thing with the shotguns, bonus for a single shot, but deduction if it’s only a .410.

But yes, period correct three gun sounds rad, and I’d do it.

Tapatalk is mediocre, let me know if you have a better app.
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

As far as the fielding all 3 guns, it was a concern I had as well. It was a hope that if it became popular that maybe a couple of manufacturers would start making affordable reproductions, similar to Chiapa, Pietta, etc as they have done with the SASS guns. (I would say 50% of my motivation actually, hoping someone would reproduce a Winchester 1896 for me.....I don't have 12 grand laying around to drop on one.) but to cover the shotgun I do see the Remington model 11 on GunBroker quite frequently for 200-700$ depending on model and condition. My real issue would be covering my first choice as a primary, which is a Lewis gun.........they are not cheap.

But they are great
And amazing,
And I want one...

Elmo wrote:I recall reading that the "Hard as Hell" Multigun match this year included a stage described as "clearing WWI-style trenches". Those competitors would have been using modern weapons, of course.

But it's an interesting stage design idea. If you have ample land and a backhoe, it's easier to make trenches than berms.

Downside is, when it rains they fill with water and mud, just like they did at Verdun.

I like that though, trenches with mud and whatnot. Next course of fire if your weapon fails, no time to stop and clean it, reach for a trench knife, or a raiding club, or use a bayonet. Anything like that actually, mostly authentic I would think.

MaxWyatt wrote:For the revolutionary war segment, I think once you fire your flintlocks (both of them), you have to clear the course with your sabre, bayonet, or bowie knife. :yahoo:

In seriousness, the idea really appeals to me, but I currently don't own any period firearms. Although, I'm currently considering a Makarov. Hmmm... perhaps a cold war segment where half of the simulation is conducted via proxy. :whistle:
Cold War period could be cool, and very interesting. People rolling up with mac 10's and skorpions and whatnot.

I would also be interested in a prohibition era 3 gun. It would be similar to the WW1 I suppose but, instead of a primary being a service rifle or MG, just have an SMG. Stens, and Thompsons etc.

Sitting here thinking about all sorts of way-outside-box alternative 3 guns. How about a future apocalypse (referred to around here as the time period following Trumps 3rd presidential election win) 3-weapon tournament: scoped 22LR OR 12 gauge (I can't decide which), shooters choice handgun, and homemade beating implement. Bonus points for modification, creativity, and effectiveness of all arms.