The order of scope alignment and zeroing?

I feel like this is about marksmanship but please move it elsewhere if it will get more relevant responses...

I received the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. I pick up the T/C Compass 308 today. The Burris signature Zee rings with offset kit arrives tomorrow. I've got plenty of Privi-Partizan brass cased ammo for practice at the range and 200 Rounds of Federal Power-Shok Copper for when I'm ready for the pigs.

I've done the mirror thing with the scope and no adjustments were needed out of the box which seems like that's the way a new scope should be.

Tomorrow I'll mount the scope with the 0 offset inserts that come with the rings. Next weekend will be when I take the rifle to the range with the offset kit.

In another post I was advised to zero with the range ammo first, for practicing until the hunt then, when I'm ready to go into the field, zero with the hunting ammo.

How many rounds should I expect it to take to get the scope shimmed with the offset kit (if it even needs it) and the rifle zeroed? For .22, 9mm, and air rifle plinking I have always used five round groups; best of three. It usually takes about twenty round until I'm happy and feel good about just practice some marksmanship.

This rifle is a bit more serious matter because it will be used to hunt and anything less than an accurate humane kill is unacceptable to me. At what point would I have to consider that things are not going well and it's "not me". Also, those aforementioned firearms are all irons sighted. I've not used a scope before and this is my first firearm without iron sights.

I'm rather very excited.

Re: The order of scope alignment and zeroing?

This probably isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I have done the mount and zero myself thing and found that I was pretty happy with the results, but the time and premium ammo it cost me to get it right was high on one rifle. I was much happier with the results when I paid a gunsmith to mount and zero for me and it didn't cost very much. Maybe consider it?

Also, I would zero it with hunting ammo and leave it like that. If it shoots a little off with practice ammo, you can compensate for that by knowing every shot will be a little off. However, I doubt it will be off by much. YMMV
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I'd be excited if I were you as well. I don't think it will take more than 20 rounds of practice ammo to get a zero. Maybe five of the hunting ammo. If you start at 25 yards you will waste less. adjust, then move to 100. Set it to hit two inches low at 25, as the bullet is still going up. You should be close at 100 then. Looking forward to the range report.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Marlene wrote:Don't worry about the shims with factory drilled scope mount holes and the distances you're looking at. You shouldn't need them. There will most likely be plenty of adjustment in the scope to get you zeroed without shimming.
Yah. Shims are a concern for 600-1000 yards and beyond with scopes that can't make the adjustments needed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou