LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH 15 UNDERWAY

LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH 15 UNDERAWAY
Post details

Quote Paco
Post by Paco » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 pm
I've started to post this at least a dozen times, only to look out the window and see snow, or look at the thermometer and see minus 5 degrees.

Well, we gotta start sometime, so I'm going to make this an extra long match to, hopefully, account for unpredictable weather.

The match is now underway.

Match ends MONDAY, APRIL 30TH AT 6PM ET.

Here are the rules for all Bullseye matches:
The LGC Bullseye Club Rules.pdf
(143.12 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

Re: LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH 15 UNDERWAY

Maccabee wrote:Yay!
I'll second that! I'm hoping with this extra time to get into three classes - rimfire glass (Mk IV w/red dot) - rimfire iron (S&W 48, 4", for fun) and centrefire iron depending on what takes my fancy on the day. None of my CF handguns is younger than three-quarters of a century, and one hasn't been shot yet (by me...)

Thanks, as ever, Paco!
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

:yahoo: Game on!

Thanks Paco! I've really been jonesing for some bullseye action. :) Maybe this is the one where I enter the optics division. I have a nice red dot waiting to be installed on my spare MK III, kindly donated by a fellow competitor. I've not had the chance to put it on yet, but this may be the moment!
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote::yahoo: Game on!

Thanks Paco! I've really been jonesing for some bullseye action. :) Maybe this is the one where I enter the optics division. I have a nice red dot waiting to be installed on my spare MK III, kindly donated by a fellow competitor. I've not had the chance to put it on yet, but this may be the moment!
No need to use optics. They don’t help much at all. Honest. Believe me... :whistle:

YankeeTarheel wrote:I may well try it! I'm not good enough yet at 15 yards to compete but...it looks like fun!

How big should the targets be when I print them out? Or are they a standard I can buy at any range?

Definitely join in the fun! I still can't get decent scores at 15 yards, but I enjoy the heck out trying!
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Bucolic wrote:Download the PDFs and print them on 8.5x11 sheets. They should print to true size.

I use “cover stock” from Staples for my targets. Not as heavy as card stock but stiff enough that I get nice bullet holes that don’t tear.
This is true.

Also, you can buy B2 and B3 targets at most sporting goods stores for like six bucks a dozen or something. I used to print them, but ink is not cheap. So I spent the six bucks at Sportsman's Warehouse for a pack. I will use one twice as often as the other. I think there's six months of matches in a pack.

I like shooting the matches because I can look back and notice things in the pics of my targets over time.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

YankeeTarheel wrote:I may well try it! I'm not good enough yet at 15 yards to compete but...it looks like fun!

How big should the targets be when I print them out? Or are they a standard I can buy at any range?
Practice is the whole idea - you should only look at how much you improve as you go along. You'll never get any better if you don't practice !!!
Merle from PA

CDFingers wrote:
Bucolic wrote:Download the PDFs and print them on 8.5x11 sheets. They should print to true size.

I use “cover stock” from Staples for my targets. Not as heavy as card stock but stiff enough that I get nice bullet holes that don’t tear.
This is true.

Also, you can buy B2 and B3 targets at most sporting goods stores for like six bucks a dozen or something. I used to print them, but ink is not cheap. So I spent the six bucks at Sportsman's Warehouse for a pack. I will use one twice as often as the other. I think there's six months of matches in a pack.

I like shooting the matches because I can look back and notice things in the pics of my targets over time.

CDFingers

Ink isn't cheap, so I go to the local copy shop - 5 cents a copy! :mrgreen:
Merle from PA

Merle wrote:

Practice is the whole idea - you should only look at how much you improve as you go along. You'll never get any better if you don't practice !!!
Yeah, that's true about everything, isn't it? I always tell people at the gym I go to if they comment on the weight I'm lifting (not really all that much): It's not a race, it's not a contest. It's a journey. I just wish I had more time to go shooting, and get better.

Tangentially, I also insist THE toughest one in the weight room is an older lady with a degenerative nerve disease who couldn't weigh more than 90lbs and who has degenerated from a walker to a wheel chair over the last 6 years that I know her. But she comes and goes from machine to machine, and works her upper body and what little can of her legs. Consequently, she can pull herself from the machines back and forth to her chair. I know "Clara" (not her name) gets discouraged, but she never gives up! And she always has a kind friendly word for everyone. And her husband, who is healthy and fit, adores her, encourages her, and worries like hell about her.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Yes, that is a long time and time enough, I hope, for my shoulder to recover from today's shotgun adventures. Right now, it feels like it's going to fall off.

YT, please join us!

... and Huck, I am definitely putting on that red dot now. The question is, when will I be able to lift my arm again? ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Merle wrote:
YankeeTarheel wrote:I just wish I had more time to go shooting, and get better.
Practice dry fire at home. You can do that any day!

For the past couple-three weeks I've been trying to take my own advice and do dry practice almost every day. We shall see if it helps the next time I keep score. I've been using my Ruger GP100 and Redhawk, and it's amazing how much harder it is to keep the sights fairly quiet on the Redhawk. Not sure if it's the grips, the weight and front-heaviness, or the combination of the two. I've been meaning for years to get a different grip for the Redhawk, but although I think the stock grip is slightly too small, it does feel comfortable under recoil.

I should also practice with my .22s, but I figure the big revolvers are more challenging, so I hope the skills (if any) will transfer.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I submitted my rimfire score today, and it turns out I'm learning something--albeit something unexpected in a way not planned, seen via the askance glance.

First, look at this.
scan0001(2).jpg
So, this is the "timed" section, what I call "medium" as opposed to slow and fast. This time interval allowed me to use that Russian pistol technique at a natural pace. That is, I grip the pistol at low ready--which at this range entails resting the barrel on the little shelf there with a firm grip and index finger along the side--then I bring it up quickly at first then slowing at the top until creeping the center blob to the front blade, then squeeze not too fast or slow.

In the slow section, I took too much time and perturbed the flow. And in the rapid section I went too fast and perturbed the flow.

If I keep that rhythm, I get those five in the ten ring. Use the flow, Luke.

Y'all ever thought about the wind up and follow through?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I watched the video on the Russian pistol technique earlier today. I was thinking I'd employ the methods they used while still shooting two handed for the match. I'll try single handed, just for kicks and to keep it interesting. I won't submit scores for a while since I may be able to get a handful of practice sessions in before May. I'm at a stage now where a few practice sessions sometimes can make a noticeable difference in my shooting. :-) In other words, I need all the practice I can get.