A little friendly competition

The place to find LGC Postal Matches, our own Bullseye Club, and ongoing conversations about marksmanship, practice, and safety.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Bucolic, Paco, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

A little friendly competition

#1 Post by Bacchus » Mon May 28, 2018 6:08 pm

I posted the following on the FB members page; for those who don't visit there, I thought this would be the right sub forum for it here...

Liberal representing.

Some background: There was a 3-gun team challenge in my neighborhood yesterday. One person on each: Pistol, rifle, shotgun. I saw a flyer at a tattoo shop in a building where I work and I thought 'why not?' It was put on by the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association (29) and hosted by the Corvallis Elks.
So I asked my neighbor. He couldn't do it, but he'd ask around. Turns out his realtor, a gregarious chap of 70+, was interested. We both asked around for the next week-and-a-half for someone to join us for the shotgun bit, as I was on pistol and he was on rifle. This past Friday, we were still without a person for shotgun and the realtor said he'd just shoot it.

Yesterday morning comes and on the way to the event my partner says his hand is hurting and can I shoot his shotgun for the event. It was going to be a fun day anyway, what with shooting, BBQ, and a shirt that were all included in the entry fee, so why not. It was a trap set-up for the shotgun bit, with 3 surprise doubles out of the 25 rotation.

The other events were 20 shots from a pistol, unsupported, at 25 yards into a 25 yard NRA pistol target, and 10 shots from bench at 100 yards and another 10 standing with the rifle.

We were one of 15 teams, and it was a heck of a lot of fun. At least a third showed up on their motorcycles and most had patches on their jackets representing where they'd been: Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam. It was a fun day of shooting and chatting, and drooling over the raffle items.

The end came and it was time to announce the winners. 3rd place came and went, as did 2nd. The haul for our motley 2-man team? A Ruger LC9 pistol, a Ruger American rifle in .308, and a Mossberg 500 Hunter shotgun, to split between the two of us. We pick them up at the LGS on Wednesday. Pictures to follow. Not a bad day for a liberal gun owner.

Adding: I am sure most of you have had this experience: On gun boards or in person, hearing some claim that liberals aren't 'real' gun owners, or that we're confused, or that we don't know how to shoot. That has never sat well with me. My post is intended as a direct answer to that kind of of nonsense. Of course, that's not news to any of y'all. ;) In case my post wasn't clear, our team took 1st, by 20 points. Our individual rankings were 1st in pistol and shotgun, and 4th (I think) in rifle. :yahoo:

Pistol box that traveled to the event is below.

IMG_4878.JPG
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

ImageImage

Eris

Re: A little friendly competition

#2 Post by Eris » Mon May 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Congrats! Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I need to get into competitions, but I just don't know of anything in my area.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by SailDesign » Mon May 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Congrats!! And great to see the LGS sticker getting to the range. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

#4 Post by SailDesign » Mon May 28, 2018 6:52 pm

... and apparently I was NOT following the main LGC page on FB, just the local one.

"Steve Baker" is the real name, should you see me wandering around there. :)

S'pose I should join (re-join?) the Members Lounge, too.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by CDFingers » Mon May 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Rockin' sockin'!

CDFingers
ImageImage
I told Althea that treachery was tearing me limb from limb
Althea told me, now cool down boy--settle back easy, Jim

danhue
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by danhue » Mon May 28, 2018 7:03 pm

Yes, congrats. Looks like it wasn't a walk in the park either. Pretty tough challenges, from what you describe.

I too would love to join some friendly competition here in PA, but there does not seem to be anything well organized. The local clubs have crummy websites, their info (e.g., events) are often outdated, they don't reply to emails, etc. To be clear, I don't feel entitled to anything, and I am not complaining, but I am a little surprised. I guess I thought shooting was more popular around here. I do have 2 good indoor ranges nearby, and I am grateful for that.

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by Buck13 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:19 pm

Woo! Way to kick ass! :clap:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by Bacchus » Mon May 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Buck13 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:19 pm
Woo! Way to kick ass! :clap:
:D
danhue wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:03 pm
Yes, congrats. Looks like it wasn't a walk in the park either. Pretty tough challenges, from what you describe.

I too would love to join some friendly competition here in PA, but there does not seem to be anything well organized. The local clubs have crummy websites, their info (e.g., events) are often outdated, they don't reply to emails, etc. To be clear, I don't feel entitled to anything, and I am not complaining, but I am a little surprised. I guess I thought shooting was more popular around here. I do have 2 good indoor ranges nearby, and I am grateful for that.
Thank you, I admit it felt pretty good. The second place team was put together from a gun store (their sticker on the end of my case, actually) so there were folks there who knew their way around firearms; the irony of their sticker next to that of the LGC on my pistol box is intentional. ;) ... I'm not above cruelty. :roflmao:

ImageImage

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by Bacchus » Mon May 28, 2018 8:50 pm

SailDesign wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:45 pm
Congrats!! And great to see the LGS sticker getting to the range. :)
Thank you! I made a point of sporting that sticker. :) Yeah, check out the FB members page; it's funny, but it has a different flavor to it perhaps because of the format, or that some only do one of the other.
Eris wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:27 pm
Congrats! Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I need to get into competitions, but I just don't know of anything in my area.
I recommend it! It was a fun time and just spur of the moment for me. Check out the local gun shops, which will probably post flyers. :)

ImageImage

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

#10 Post by MaxWyatt » Mon May 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Nice work!

:clap:

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#11 Post by Marlene » Mon May 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Nice!

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by Bucolic » Tue May 29, 2018 5:47 am

You make us all proud! Congrats!!
Neverthless, she persisted.

Maccabee
Verified Member
Verified Member

#13 Post by Maccabee » Tue May 29, 2018 10:52 am

I expected no less. ;)

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#14 Post by Bacchus » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Here is a not-very-good picture of the rifle I won in the competition, and me and my teammate with the loot - I'm the one on the right. ;) (Had no need for the pistol or shotgun, so those went to my partner) It is a Ruger American Rifle, Predator model, in .308. Here you see it wearing its new scope, all bore-sighted and ready for the range. We'll see how we do next range day... :)
The attachment IMG_4910.jpg is no longer available
IMG_4910.jpg
IMG_4910.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

ImageImage

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

#15 Post by MaxWyatt » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Sighting those things in can be *quite complicated*. If you need a hand let me know..... :think:

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

#16 Post by senorgrand » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Wow...nice work! I have only stretched my handguns out to 25 yards a couple of times. I need a spotting scope at that distance to see what I'm doing. :(

What did you shoot for pistol?

Release the tapes!

shinzen
Site Admin

#17 Post by shinzen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:42 pm

That's pretty f*ing awesome actually.

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#18 Post by Bacchus » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:28 am

senorgrand wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:31 pm
Wow...nice work! I have only stretched my handguns out to 25 yards a couple of times. I need a spotting scope at that distance to see what I'm doing. :(

What did you shoot for pistol?
Thank you! I've been shooting the Bullseye League regularly, but that's only 15 yards. I practiced at 25 yards a few days before the event with about 60 rounds And yeah, I can't see anything at that distance. ;) At least, that is, until I walk out to the target.

I shot the pistol event with my Ruger MK III. No way I can see where I'm hitting with those teeny holes, just going on faith and practice. To make matters worse, the guy 4 feet to my left was shooting with a compact .45 and the casings were thwacking me on the head, side... and one bounced off my barrel, I shit you not. I was taking my shots in between his and when he went to reload. Turned out all my shots were on target, and 18 out of the 20 were in the black. :)
shinzen wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:42 pm
That's pretty f*ing awesome actually.
:love: I'm pretty tickled, admittedly. And surprised. For shotgun I went 20/25; that's not top level by any stretch, but I only knew I was shooting on the drive out to the event, as my partner's hand was hurting. So I just borrowed his shotty.

The rifle is pretty sweet. Can't wait to try it out. :D

ImageImage

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#19 Post by Bacchus » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:38 am

MaxWyatt wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:17 pm
Sighting those things in can be *quite complicated*. If you need a hand let me know..... :think:
I could use a hand, actually. ;) Many firsts here. Never had a .308. Never had a scope. Never installed a scope. So this is all really new. I read up on bore sighting and followed the instructions that came with the scope. I couldn't wait for the range, so I improvised thus: I opened my garage door and paced off roughly 100 yards, which took me to the wooden fence of the church across the street; I found a red irrigation marking flag and stuck it in between boards on the fence and Presto! I had something I could see down the open bore. I set up the rifle on a pile of junk in my garage and was able to zero in on the flag with the scope while still aligned in the bore.

Time for the range, I reckon. ;) Shoot me a text when you've got time to get together... :)

ImageImage

Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member

#20 Post by Bisbee » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:24 pm

Wowsers! But more than showing them Smart can also shoot, that is just downright impressive skills y'all displayed.
Congrats on the win.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#21 Post by Bacchus » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:03 am

Bisbee wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:24 pm
Wowsers! But more than showing them Smart can also shoot, that is just downright impressive skills y'all displayed.
Congrats on the win.
:love:

Thank you!

ImageImage