Would you enter a paper silhouette match this summer?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:13 pm You may select 1 option

Yes
Total votes: 12 (100%)
No (No votes)
Wait until next season (No votes)
Total votes: 12

Re: Silhouette match: Field Pistol

MaxWyatt wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 am It's true that I have a 10" MKII, but it's new (to me).
Dude, you won the last Bullseye match! :) I'm sure if you go shoot that thing at 50 yards, the 9 mm shooters who barely stay on the 8" bull at 7 yards will either congratulate your audacity or silently grind their teeth in envy. Take Bacchus with you to show them it's not just one guy... :smart:

At 50 you probably won't need to do any sight adjustment unless you are really picky about centering the group. The drop isn't much at that range.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 pm
MaxWyatt wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 am It's true that I have a 10" MKII, but it's new (to me).
Dude, you won the last Bullseye match! :) I'm sure if you go shoot that thing at 50 yards, the 9 mm shooters who barely stay on the 8" bull at 7 yards will either congratulate your audacity or silently grind their teeth in envy. Take Bacchus with you to show them it's not just one guy... :smart:

At 50 you probably won't need to do any sight adjustment unless you are really picky about centering the group. The drop isn't much at that range.
I only won because the 'regular' winners didn't play. :smart: Still my best score to date though. :thumbup:

Next time I'm at the range, I intend to shoot my 'long gun' at 25 yds to see how it goes. 50 yds? :shock: Baby steps... I need to take baby steps.

MaxWyatt wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:54 pm Next time I'm at the range, I intend to shoot my 'long gun' at 25 yds to see how it goes. 50 yds? :shock: Baby steps... I need to take baby steps.
I have confidence you can do it! What kind of target holders does your range use? The one I go to provides cardboard backers that are about 2 feet wide and 2.5 feet tall. Staying on the cardboard is pretty easy. If you put one of those 12" square Shoot-N-C targets on it, at 50 yards it's pretty much the same as shooting this 4" diamond at 50 feet (or 15 yards, close enough). Give it a shot (pun intended) and you'll be surprised how well you do.

One hundred yards, OTOH... :no: At that range, I really start to struggle with both holding and iron sights.

Attachments
Target 4in Diamond Grid.pdf
(9.33 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

atxgunguy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:56 am Made some high-contrast targets for indoor ranges. We've done this in the past for other matches.
Nice!

I shudder to think how much the ink would cost to print those orange-on-black targets at home. I think a dozen of them would empty my black ink cartridge! This might be a case where it's worth finding the last print shop in town.

Merle wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:23 pm greetings,

I'm finally gearing up for this match, and need to ask how to submit results?
I read the post several times, but am still in the dark.
PM me for the email address. That's in the PDF, I think, but I will add it to the OP.

Just a reminder that we have six weekends left on the putative schedule. It may get extended a couple of weeks if participation is lagging.

I shot my second rimfire gun last weekend. Did quite a bit better with iron sights than with the scope! Still need to shoot some centerfire. (In Even-handed Justice, it's the reverse: I've shot left and right hand centerfire, haven't done rimfire yet.)

danhue wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:01 pm Is the deadline (September 30) confirmed for this match?
I've received no scores yet, unless I missed someone's email, so let's say it's extended to the end of October.

Shooting all the one-handed matches has no doubt occupied a lot of range time lately. No need to put too much time pressure on this match.

Thanks for extending the deadline, now I can fit this one in!
But.. I just printed off some targets, and, are the turkey & ram supposed to be portrait? They look quite dissimilar in scale compared to the others..
(Note, I did scale for 50', but did not alter orientation or anything else)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Brian in StL

Yes, sorry not to make that clear. The turkey/ram is in landscape layout. Turkeys are tough, but not as bad as if you printed in portrait layout.

Danhue's look exactly like mine, except that mine now have a SMALL number of holes in the black parts. ;)

Buck13 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:54 am Yes, sorry not to make that clear. The turkey/ram is in landscape layout. Turkeys are tough, but not as bad as if you printed in portrait layout.

Danhue's look exactly like mine, except that mine now have a SMALL number of holes in the black parts. ;)
thanks... I decided to just skip it and re-print them since I now have until the end of Oct.
too bad I accidentally printed about 200 of them at work! LOL!!
Brian in StL