Snap fire dry caps...er..

When I can't get to the range--sounds like an old ad, "when I can't get out to smoke a cee-gar, I take a pinch o' snoose..."

There are times when we can't get there from here. That is why god in her infinite wisdom created the snap cap.

We know from an engineering standpoint that it is non optimal for a firing pin to encounter no stop. It won't break the first or second, but maybe the ten thousandth time when you're facing down a rabid saber toothed wildebeest, the fool thing gives way and you're lunch. The use of snap caps allows the firing pin or striker or what not to encounter resistance similar to its design parameters.

The danger and safety of snap caps is that they're not bullets. Not makes them safe. Safe makes complacency. People who get complacent around snap caps must have holes in their heads--or they shortly will.

A gun is always loaded.

Check your weapon to ensure it's loaded only with snap caps.

So what I do is to do bullseye on my light switches. I stand there and go through the ritual for each shot. Do ten, then rest. And so on.

We'll see with these current matches if it does me any good. :smart:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Snap fire dry caps...er..

One reason I got with snap caps is I have a habit sometimes of not pulling the trigger straight back, but rather, allowing my hand to clench, thus driving the bullet down and to the left.

Check out this target from Bullseye 15 with my Ruger MKII:

The one upper right is a flyer, but those on the lower left result from clenching. You can see that group there that results from pulling straight back.

Last night I used the 1911 with snap caps. I'm deciding whether to get some Pachmayer wrap around grips, but I noticed that sometimes I pull the gun down and to the left, and that results from clenching rather than squeezing. So, snap caps might get rid of that habit for me.

CDFingers

What's happening is I'm changing my muscle memory: the more caps I snap, the more my brain will remember to pull straight back just with the finger and don't clench. I can see that .22 target up there, and I can correct that little problem.

CDFingers

building on what polymath said, the idea is to prevent a decrease or an increase in grasp pressure during the trigger press. The easiest way to do that is to push grasp pressure to the point of shaking, back off from there, and hold it until finished firing. If your grasp is solid, it doesn't really matter what your trigger press is like, but ideally it is still a smooth press straight to the rear.

I just discovered that with semi autos, it's one less step if done this way: at the end of practice, eject the snapper, catch it, and load it on top the mag. Next time, a gun is always loaded, so you check and find and empty chamber and you don't have to chase the snapper. Experience.

CDFingers

NegativeApproach wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:19 pm I don't keep live ammo in the room that I dry fire in. I also wait at least an hour between dry firing and loading or unloading a gun. I find it critically important to take as many steps as possible to avoid an accidental discharge.
Very wise!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

My personal schedule eats up my days. However, many times I find myself awake in the middle of the night, so I dry snap the fire caps...rats.

My light switch would be blown away were I using real bullets.

CDFingers