Bullseye Match 16 Results

The accounting firm of Price, Waterhouse, and Cooper have (not) tallied the scores. I did...

All of the participants should be congratulated for a strong effort and a big turnout. In the end, 12 shooters participated, a number only slightly less than the number of spectators at the Trump inauguration. Scores were submitted for 23 matches.

Competition was very tight. For example, the scores for the six participants in the rimfire glass class only differed by 21 points from worst to best. There were no entries in centerfire glass.

Our big winner this time was Bacchus who outscored the field in rimfire iron and crushed the competition in centerfire iron with a dazzling score of 278.

Here are some results. Note that I did not list all of the participants in each class. This is how Paco reported the scores.

RIMFIRE IRON

Winner: Bacchus 277 Ruger Mk III Target

Runners up: STL303. 273 Colt Woodsman
NuJudge 271 S&W K22
MaxWyatt 269 Ruger Mk II

Honorable Mention: SailDesign and Buck 13 at 258

RIMFIRE GLASS

Co-winners: Bucolic 274 Ruger Mk III 22/45
STL303 274 Browning Buckmark Contour

Followed so closely by SailDesign 272 Ruger Mk IV

Honorable mention: leitmotiv 257 Ruger Mk III
Buck 13 255 High Standard Sport King
Merle 253 Ruger Mk II

CENTERFIRE IRON

Winner: Bacchus 278 Glock G17

Runner up: Buck13 219 Ruger Redhawk

Honorable mention: STL303 188 RIA M1911
Danhue 159 Springfield RO Officer Elite
CD Fingers 157 Springfield 1911 A1

The prizes? Only bragging rights and my admiration...

Re: Bullseye Match 16 Results

I totally enjoy these.

As y'all know I shoot one handed. At the end yesterday I had four rounds of random .45 ammo in the bottom of my range bag. Now, I know several several folks in my area who carry concealed, and I've heard lots of tales of ccw qualification shooting. So I had these four rounds, and I thought I'd see what I could do two handed rapidly at 7 yards. I put a piece of tape on the cardboard and ran it out to 7. Dang. That's pretty close. So I adopt my two handed stance, put my left hand thumb bulge into the cup made by my fingers with thumb forward and so on, and fling off four in about two seconds. Group the size of my fist. I put my fist over my heart. Ah ha. So one handed does not appear to impair much.

Love the matches.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Congratulations to all the competitors! I hope we can get our pool of shooters to grow. Send out the word to friends and fellow members!

Can't wait for Even Handed Justice.

Thanks for the kind words, and Mondo Thanks to Bucolic for keeping the matches going and for bringing new LGC Postal Matches to the masses. Things were grooving for centerfire this time. Here's the centerfire target board for Bullseye 16...
IMG_5262.jpg
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Jeebus, Bacchus, that’s some fine shooting!

We did add a few new competitors this time. I hope that they all continue to participate. I know from personal experience that it can be daunting to compare your scores to the top ones but I also know that continued participation does lead to improvement. Something about more rigorous competition helping to instill good habits, or something, something, something...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 am Jeebus, Bacchus, that’s some fine shooting!

We did add a few new competitors this time. I hope that they all continue to participate. I know from personal experience that it can be daunting to compare your scores to the top ones but I also know that continued participation does lead to improvement. Something about more rigorous competition helping to instill good habits, or something, something, something...
Yes - on both counts.

I found that watching others' scores, or just peeking at their targets at the range told me that it WAS possible. So, since I couldn't do that, then WHY couldn't I do that...

So, I started figuring it out. Not where I'd like to be yet, but working on it. I mean, if there is a 10 ring, then a good shot should be able to get ALL of 'em into it, right?

I have a way to go, but the journey is fun, so what the heck. :D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Bucolic wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 am Jeebus, Bacchus, that’s some fine shooting!

Don't be daunted! My first scores were under the 200 mark (I'm not saying how far under). They have improved a lot in the last year and a half of shooting the matches. :D

...and Bacchus, those are some pretty patterns on that paper.

MaxWyatt wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Don't be daunted! My first scores were under the 200 mark (I'm not saying how far under). They have improved a lot in the last year and a half of shooting the matches. :D

...and Bacchus, those are some pretty patterns on that paper.
What they said: Don't be daunted. I got my first pistol less than 7 years ago when I was well into my 40s. It took over a year before I stopped jumping and flinching every time someone at the range took a shot. Every. Time. I'm not from a pro-gun background. I did a lot of studying and book-learning, much of if from the LGC forums, about how to grip, stand, breathe, pull the trigger, and more. My first shots on target at 15 yards? Nil. I was still missing the target entirely at 7 yards. I kept reading and I kept practicing... and my aim began to improve.

The point? You can do it. Keep at it. Don't give up. I learned from books and videos- never had a class or formal instruction. You can do that, too, but having someone (like an LGC member or instructor?) to help you with technique can accelerate things and give you points to focus on. Shooting Stuff Is Fun. If you focus on that and the safety rules, your accuracy will improve and you'll have a hoot at the same time.

Last thing: Try to find a comfortable place to shoot. When I started, the range I went to had Obama targets for sale. I was intimidated by the atmosphere and by the attitude of the staff and customers. It's not the best learning environment if you're stressed, so try to find a neutral place or at least go to the range during off hours. And get better. It's a nice feeling being a much better shot than the jerks to either side of you. ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Yeah! What MaxWyatt and Bacchus said!!

My own story is similar. Shot rifles as a youngster but, with the exception of one shoot-em-up in the desert outside Tucson in the early 80s, did not shoot a handgun until about ten years ago.

Shooting stuff, even paper, is fun and it is more fun as one gets better at it.