Let's start a Bullseye League for rifles

Hello everyone.. Sorry I haven't been able to hang around on the forum much lately. I'm still here on the FaceSpace mostly and lurk the forum every once in a while..

I'd like to start by saying that the pistol bullseye over the last couple years has done wonders for getting me out to the range regularly, and improving and keeping my pistol shooting skills on target (ha!).. however lately I've realized that I haven't even opened that right-side door to my gun cabinet in a Looooongg time. All those nifty long boys need some lovin' too!

I will volunteer to organize, run, and score the match!
  • I'd prefer to have a @lgc email address for people to submit scores rather than publish my personal.. Ed? is this possible? if no I will just create a new gmail address to manage..
  • I'm thinking that to keep it year-round and indoor friendly, and because of the proliferation of 50' targets just for this sort of thing, we set the range at 50' and use a commercially available target or equivalent
  • to keep it simple and open to the most people, it will be accuracy focused rather than having timed stages
  • There will be separate Iron and Glass (no magnification) classes.
  • Position would be standing, un-supported
  • Frequency will be roughly as often as the Pistol Bullseye, but not necessarily concurrent with it's start/end dates
  • Not sure about including center-fire yet or how that would work.. I think a different target scaled appropriately would need to be identified? My Henry BigBoy needs some lovin too though, so we'll figure this out eventually!
Looking for some feedback at this time before I give an official start and set of rules..
anyone have suggestions for targets and course of fire? I'm ready for some feedback! (disclaimer - I have a giant pack of the NRA Smallbore Rifle TQ-1/5 targets already, so that's the way I'm currently leaning. )
Brian in StL

Re: Let's start a Bullseye League for rifles

Fantabulous idea! Especially the you volunteering to do it all part ;)
If it’s going to be at 50’ then it will have to be an indoor Smallbore Rifle League using .22lr, pretty much. Most indoor ranges won’t allow large bore rifles and many of our members don’t have access to an outdoor range.
Sign me up. I’ll shoot it.
Last edited by HuckleberryFun on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

stl303 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:26 am Hello everyone.. Sorry I haven't been able to hang around on the forum much lately. I'm still here on the FaceSpace mostly and lurk the forum every once in a while..

I'd like to start by saying that the pistol bullseye over the last couple years has done wonders for getting me out to the range regularly, and improving and keeping my pistol shooting skills on target (ha!).. however lately I've realized that I haven't even opened that right-side door to my gun cabinet in a Looooongg time. All those nifty long boys need some lovin' too!

• I'd prefer to have a @lgc email address for people to submit scores rather than publish my personal.. Ed? is this possible? if no I will just create a new gmail address to manage..
  • I'm thinking that to keep it year-round and indoor friendly, and because of the proliferation of 50' targets just for this sort of thing, we set the range at 50' and use a commercially available target or equivalent
  • to keep it simple and open to the most people, it will be accuracy focused rather than having timed stages
  • Frequency will be roughly as often as the Pistol Bullseye, but not necessarily concurrent with it's start/end dates
  • Not sure about including center-fire yet or how that would work.. I think a different target scaled appropriately would need to be identified? My Henry BigBoy needs some lovin too though, so we'll figure this out eventually!
Looking for some feedback at this time before I give an official start and set of rules..
anyone have suggestions for targets and course of fire? I'm ready for some feedback! (disclaimer - I have a giant pack of the NRA Smallbore Rifle TQ-1/5 targets already, so that's the way I'm currently leaning. )
In the interest of having a chance at placing in one of these, I think we definitely need a Stock/OEM category. I know a lot of folks do, but I'm not the type who spends several times the original rifle's value on making a .001 MOA accurate gun.

Factory Target Ammo vs. Hella-expensive Ammo vs. Hand-loads (if we do CF) is also going to skew results.

Also, Mil-Surp Division should be a thing.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:50 am
stl303 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:26 am Hello everyone.. Sorry I haven't been able to hang around on the forum much lately. I'm still here on the FaceSpace mostly and lurk the forum every once in a while..

In the interest of having a chance at placing in one of these, I think we definitely need a Stock/OEM category. I know a lot of folks do, but I'm not the type who spends several times the original rifle's value on making a .001 MOA accurate gun.

Factory Target Ammo vs. Hella-expensive Ammo vs. Hand-loads (if we do CF) is also going to skew results.

This raises all kinds of complexity.... How much is allowed before your stocker is "custom?" A trigger job? A new trigger? Changing out the stamped metal trigger guard for a cast or milled one?

If I use my $400 CZ, how do I penalise the guy with the $1,500 purpose-built target rifle, even if that is totally stock?

No - I vote keep it simple - optics vs open sights (aperture sights count as optical) and CF vs RF. Same as the pistol gig.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:03 pm
atxgunguy wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:50 am In the interest of having a chance at placing in one of these, I think we definitely need a Stock/OEM category. I know a lot of folks do, but I'm not the type who spends several times the original rifle's value on making a .001 MOA accurate gun.

This raises all kinds of complexity.... How much is allowed before your stocker is "custom?" A trigger job? A new trigger? Changing out the stamped metal trigger guard for a cast or milled one?

If I use my $400 CZ, how do I penalise the guy with the $1,500 purpose-built target rifle, even if that is totally stock?

No - I vote keep it simple - optics vs open sights (aperture sights count as optical) and CF vs RF. Same as the pistol gig.
At this point I also agree with keeping it simple. Too many categories will mean 0-1 entrant per division most of the time. Will we even HAVE submissions from the sub-MOA benchrest people? Time will tell and determine any necessity. Being a standing, un-supported position helps alleviate some of that as well. There being no timed course negates any advantage from different types of action. and so forth

HOWEVER - I do think that having a "bonus round" every now and then would be fun.. stuff like a "cheap box challenge" where we all buy the cheapest box of 50 you can find and shoot that.. or a special target for that month.. benchrest instead of standing, military trainers.. etc.. I can pepper those in on occasion.

This, like pistol bullseye, is for fun & recreation. No prize involved other than bragging rights, so I don't think we need to get twisted up into the minutia.
Brian in StL

Let's start a Bullseye League for rifles

stl303 wrote:
Bucolic wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:31 pm You could use the same email as the pistol matches. I would forward the scores to you.
That sounds kinda tedious for you. I thought an @LGC email with myself as the primary and a 2nd club officer maybe with backup access would keep things tidy & simple.
I tried on multiple occasions to get an LGC mailbox. All failed. Perhaps I was not getting the attention of the right person. So my offer stands if you need it but here’s hoping you don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm In re bonus rounds, before the bullseye matches started, Paco ran some fun matches: the fly-kill match, the beer match, etc. They were creative and fun.
yep, I did quite a few of those as well.

I will have to think carefully about the "bonus round" so as not to blurr the lines too much into "Postal Match" territory.

It would probably use the same target but be broken out to a subset, like
  • Carbine Challenge
  • Cheap Box Challenge
  • Military Trainer Challenge
  • C&R Challenge
  • Whatever other ideas I can steal from Rimfire Central. :roflmao:
Brian in StL

I'm in. I like the idea of occasional "variety" matches, as mentioned above.

I think the CF matches would be good, but probably only in the summer for us Northerners...

Also, time it differently than the BE matches, as we just had a go-around with three matches running concurrently - some folks have very limited chances to get to the range.

:beer2:
Merle from PA

stl303 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:01 pm
Merle wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:50 pm I tried that, but my poor old tired eyes give out after 50 ~ 60 rounds... :cry:
well that's when you go have your half-slab of ribs and 2 sides.. after your break go back in and finish up!

wait... not everyone's gun range is in a BBQ restaurant? I thought this was America? :lol:

Mine has this sort of chow for regular events, but the rest of the time it is cold drinks & crackers.... :no:
Merle from PA

danhue wrote:Is 50 feet challenging enough for a rifle? How about 25 yards?

No matter, I'm in, as long as there is a class for my 10/22 with iron sights.
With the right target and being standing offhand, yes.
25 yards would automatically exclude a whole bunch of people (like me) who don't often have access to that size range.
Don't worry about iron sights.. that will be a primary class!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Brian in StL