Sweating It Out

The place to find LGC Postal Matches, our own Bullseye Club, and ongoing conversations about marksmanship, practice, and safety.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Bucolic, Paco, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

SeanMoney
Helpful Contributor

Sweating It Out

#1 Post by SeanMoney » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Man, after climbing in accuracy on today's visit to the range, the heat started to get to me. My glasses were fogging up and I was starting to sweat. My palms got all slippery and I started shooting all around the bullseye instead of into it. It was only in the 80s but mega humid. Does anyone have advice for shooting in the heat or should I just find an outside range when it gets to hot in the range?

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Sweating It Out

#2 Post by HuckleberryFun » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Glasses: make sure there is a gap at the top to let air circulate. Sealing against the eyebrows causes fogging up.
Palms: carry a chalk bag to palm when sweaty, or at least a rag. If gun’s grip is not checkered then skateboard tape works.
Mental: “the trick is not *minding* that it hurts.” —Lawrence of Arabia
ImageImage

Eris

#3 Post by Eris » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:40 pm

I live in Houston where it's hot and humid the majority of the year. Summers are unbearable for me. So my solution is to focus on indoor ranges. It means I don't shoot my rifles as much as I want to, but I'm content to let those be winter guns.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by highdesert » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:18 pm

We don't have a humidity problem here, it's just the summer heat - 100 + OMG. I'll go out early in the morning when it's cool or go to an indoor range. There's a product you can put on the inside of your glasses to keep them from fogging, can't think of the name of it. I think I first saw it at a gun show someplace.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by spara » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:48 am

I shoot year round in Texas, almost all outdoors. Progrip and Liquidgrip are marketed for shooting but I use tennis rosin and grip tape. It makes your gun look nasty but works for action shooting.

danhue
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by danhue » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:04 am

I don't like very aggressive grip stippling, but reading these comments, I realize they're designed for conditions like you describe.

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by MaxWyatt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:34 pm

The anti-fog spray that motorcyclists use on their visors helps a bit with the glasses. I have some, but I don't recall what brand.