Grips

The place to find LGC Postal Matches, our own Bullseye Club, and ongoing conversations about marksmanship, practice, and safety.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Bucolic, Paco, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

bjrichus
Helpful Contributor

Grips

#1 Post by bjrichus » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 am

I am still getting used to my Ruger 22/45 Mk IV Lite (new a couple of hundred rounds ago), but the stock grips are too small for me - and I don't think I have large hands by any means. It's like I am having to hold the gun far too tight to make it firm and not have gaps anywhere. You just know that's going to take something away from accuracy.

So last week, I buy a Hogue grip to put on and while it solved that problem, it is kind of just a tiny bit big now. I must be too picky!!!! So has anyone had experience of slicing small amounts off these grips to make them fit in the hand just that little bit better? What was the result?
Oh look! I woke up this morning. :lol:

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Grips

#2 Post by Buck13 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:51 am

Which Hogue? Or is there only one that fits it?

I feel the same about my Volthane on the MkII: It's nice, but maybe just a tiny bit fatter than I really want.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

bjrichus
Helpful Contributor

#3 Post by bjrichus » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Picture attached.

As far as I am aware, its the only one they make for this model of pistol.

Suppose I could get some grip tape and mess around with stock grips on it, or pick up some regular 1911 grips and carve out the chunk needed for the bolt hold open lever? Maybe that's a project for the winter months, but I was just curious about these is all.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Oh look! I woke up this morning. :lol:

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#4 Post by Buck13 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:04 pm

You could sand down the back side to make it thinner, but then the part around the front would become loose, I think, unless you tapered the thinning process to begin along the side of the frontstrap.

Hard to tell from here, but those look small compared to the Volthane, so don't try that as an alternative.

I have been thinking of getting some wooden grips for my "new" MkII, probably with a thumbrest. Possibly from Altamont, although there are some cheaper alternatives on Ebay
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by spara » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:36 pm

I like the Tandemkross Hive grip on my S&W Victory. They fit an adult hand and are grippy without being abrasive. They're available for the Ruger 22/45.