Even-Handed Justice #2 is now open

The place to find LGC Postal Matches, our own Bullseye Club, and ongoing conversations about marksmanship, practice, and safety.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Bucolic, Paco, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Even-Handed Justice #2 is now open

#51 Post by Buck13 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:24 am

Bacchus wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm

If you check out the results of past Bullseye League scores, you will find that there is a smaller variance between optics and irons than you (or at least I, initially) would have expected. Sometimes, the iron sight scores are even higher. Something to ponder. I wonder if one would show advantage over the other over a longer distance than our usual 15 yards?
Last summer I bought a High Standard pistol with a 2x scope on it. Rested on sandbags, I can sometimes shoot small (for me) groups, but standing only on my hind legs, I usually do better with my MkIIs and iron sights. I conclude that optics magnify the effects of crappy technique!

I suppose a good red-dot sight would be more helpful. Unfortunately, the only gun in the house readily fitted with a red-dot is my spousal critter's MkIV, and she's not willing to corrupt it.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

#52 Post by Bacchus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Buck13 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:24 am
Bacchus wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm

If you check out the results of past Bullseye League scores, you will find that there is a smaller variance between optics and irons than you (or at least I, initially) would have expected. Sometimes, the iron sight scores are even higher. Something to ponder. I wonder if one would show advantage over the other over a longer distance than our usual 15 yards?
Last summer I bought a High Standard pistol with a 2x scope on it. Rested on sandbags, I can sometimes shoot small (for me) groups, but standing only on my hind legs, I usually do better with my MkIIs and iron sights. I conclude that optics magnify the effects of crappy technique!

I suppose a good red-dot sight would be more helpful. Unfortunately, the only gun in the house readily fitted with a red-dot is my spousal critter's MkIV, and she's not willing to corrupt it.
I wondered about the technique magnification issue as well. I've not shot with a red dot except a couple of times with a friend's rig, and it does seem like it throws me off... that is, my trigger pull doesn't fire off at the same moment of sight alignment with the red dot as with irons. Not sure if that's me being awkward with something new or if it's something else. I have a red dot that a fellow Bullseye League member generously donated to me, but I have yet to install it.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

ImageImage

Eris

#53 Post by Eris » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:26 pm

I've recently started using a red dot and I think it's made a slight improvement in my scores. Certainly, it magnifies the visibility of the unsteadiness in my aim, but I find it makes me more aware of when I drift off target and I'm able to compensate a bit by keeping my area of uncertainty a bit smaller.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

#54 Post by HuckleberryFun » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:12 pm

Eris wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:26 pm
I've recently started using a red dot and I think it's made a slight improvement in my scores. Certainly, it magnifies the visibility of the unsteadiness in my aim, but I find it makes me more aware of when I drift off target and I'm able to compensate a bit by keeping my area of uncertainty a bit smaller.
Practice dry firing with it every night and you’ll see that wobble diminish drastically. It’s what I do. It works.
ImageImage