A few

I read 3-5 books a month but the following are memorable:

"The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan -- about families during the dust bowl and the ecological disaster that modern agriculture created. Well worth your time as a primer to modern destruction of the environment.

"City of Thieves" by David Benioff -- one of the best novels I've read in a long time about Russians during WW II. If you like novels, this is a "must read" albeit gruesome.

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson -- pure escapism but a good mystery.

"The War Within" by Bob Woodward. The last in a series of four books and his best about the Bush presidency. A great analysis. [I have a lunch date coming up with Bob Woodward and I can't wait. :D ]

"The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power" by Jeff Sharlet -- very scary book about religious power brokers in Washington.

"Counter Insurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice" by David Galula -- an oldie from the 1950s but still the "Bible" at the Army War College. It will revolutionize every thing you thought you knew about counterinsurgency warfare and you will wish that the Bush Admin had read this book before invading Iraq and Afghanistan and that Obama had read it before sending more troops into Afghanistan.

Re: A few

Black Eagle wrote:
"The War Within" by Bob Woodward. The last in a series of four books and his best about the Bush presidency. A great analysis. [I have a lunch date coming up with Bob Woodward and I can't wait. :D ]
Sweet! Want me to send you a membership card with his name on it so you can give it to him? :D

Ha.

Enjoy that. I had lunch by myself every day last week, in my windowless office, staring at the computer. Wanna switch?
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

mark wrote: I had lunch by myself every day last week, in my windowless office, staring at the computer. Wanna switch?
Not really, but only because, barring any unforeseen circumstances, former President Jimmy Carter intends to join us. :D

Black Eagle wrote:
mark wrote: I had lunch by myself every day last week, in my windowless office, staring at the computer. Wanna switch?
Not really, but only because, barring any unforeseen circumstances, former President Jimmy Carter intends to join us. :D
I am not sure whether to envy you or hate you. I respect that man immensely. He should definitely have a membership card!!!

Our pediatrician just retired and now plans to volunteer his time with the Carter Initiative bringing medical care to underserved areas around the world.

I will continue to sit in my rat hole office. Our entire building was constructed with a 1970s philosophy of highly energy efficient. The points of highest thermal transfer between inside and outside are typically the windows. If you eliminate them, you make the building very energy efficient. On the flip side, it looks like I work for the KGB and everyone in the building goes batshit crazy. Trade-offs.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron