In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

I had been curious about the book for many years, but for some reason I've always found some reason not to read it. Well in 2011 I ran out of excuses and dived in.

First of all let me state that this was a very easy read. It moves along at a good clip and never drags. Well not quite true. It drags somewhat when Capote spends several pages covering Perry Smith's background. There is a touch of infatuation in this section of the book. I now understand why there are those who believe that Capote might have fallen in love with Perry. It's also very obvious that he had no use for Dick Hickock. He describes Dick in very unflattering terms and there is a harshness to that man.On the other hand there is almost a gauziness to Perry. There were times when I felt like I was watching an old black and white movie in which the leading actress is filmed through a filmy material in order to make her softer and more romantic. Now I don't think this detracts from the book. In many ways I think it adds to the book's impact. Perry was a mass murderer and yet he was also a human being (in contrast to say a toaster?) who still connected with Capote. It makes his crime even more awful because we realize he wasn't some kind of mindless killing machine.

As a police officer I found the chapters dealing with the actual investigation to be well written. Capote does not over-dramatize the meticulous and (at times) mind numbing work that goes into a criminal investigation. Nor does he portray the detectives as supermen. Actually I was impressed with how balanced Capote was. For a writer who had no experience working the "crime beat" he did yeoman work. I believe that the fact that Capote and the lead investigator became friends helped. Capote was allowed access to the investigation and got to know the K.B.I.(Kansas Bureau of Investigation) agents. They ,in turn, got to know him as well and ,I have no doubt, gave him more background material. For while Capote was known to be a skillful manipulator of people he must of had some likable qualities as well. The detectives ,and others involved with the investigation, seemed to be willing to open up to him. It shows. There is some outstanding details that add to the book's richness.

Much is made of the fact that In Cold Blood was the first of what is now called "True Crime". I won't dispute this. But there is more substance in this book. Since it was the first it isn't adhering to a formula. It established the formula. This does not diminish the books place in literature. Yes it was a massive best seller, but just because it was popular doesn't mean it lacks weight. Mainstream popularity should not change the book's place in literary history. Capote was an intelligent man and a pretty good writer. Consequently In Cold Blood is an intelligent and well written book.

Finally ,in closing, I do have to agree that the murders lack the punch that would have been delivered to readers fifty years ago. We're all much too used to mass murders occurring on a monthly and weekly basis. Not just in the United States, but all over the world. Some say this takes away from the book. I don't agree. In Cold Blood is now old enough that it has become part of history.

In Cold Blood takes the modern reader to an older America. An older America in which many believed they were safe and bad things didn't happen here. Certainly not to nice, middle class families in their homes. In retrospect we know this was a false belief, but many believed it then.

Capote gives the reader in 2015 a look into the past, but don't forget that when Capote was writing the book it wasn't in the distant past. It was the present. He couldn't have known (though he might have hoped) that in the end he was giving us a time capsule. This, in the end, is his greatest accomplishment. This was the country that people wanted to believe existed and at the time many thought did, but nothing lasts forever and that includes dreams and illusions. Eventually hard old reality is going to kick open the door. By the late fifties that cherished dream was starting to fade. This book was in on the beginning of it and as a result is a valuable documentation of that period.
I type therefore I am

Re: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

I started working in law enforcement in 1962, so its not ancient history to me. There were true crime books written before In Cold Blood, but Capote took the genre to a whole new level. Even though I have easily written 3 non-fiction books for gun collectors and assisted with 10 others, I have never been able to finish the 4 true crime books I started. It is really much more difficult than most people imagine. There was a murder case case here in Wisconsin which was investigated by 2 close friends of mine in the Madison, WI PD. I knew most of the most important players involved with the crime and trial (except for the woman who was eventually convicted). The jury decision was the most illogical I have ever heard. I even fed the info to a friend of mine who has also written books, but she couldn't get any further than I could.