canticle for leibowitz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz
i read this in the late 60s and was immediately impressed with both the willful stupidity of man and the tenacity of man. simultaneously ironic, despairing and hopeful, it describes a post-apocalyptic world in which the remains of the church struggle to rebuild civilization, only for humanity to choose apocalypse again. there's a ray of hope, but if we're just going to try to destroy ourselves again and again, one has to ask, "why bother?".

makes you think. :see_stars: there's a sequel, saint leibowitz and the wild horse woman, which i haven't read.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: canticle for leibowitz

I read it in the mid 1970's. It struck me two ways...first, in my youthful cynicism for humankind which the author was way ahead of me, kind of a validation...then on re-reading it years later it became a commentary that knowledge cannot be stopped forever, just suppressed for a time. Which has mitigated my cynicism.

Highly recommended and a great read even if you ignore the deeper issues. One of my top ten list books.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

Re: canticle for leibowitz

I have not heard that book mentioned for ye ears. Do you see the seeds of the anti science mania even before the apocalypse (sp)? Where will we store the illuminated blueprints? And is this really our nature?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin