Re: What song are you listening to right now?

HuckleberryFun wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:33 pm Policy of Truth by Depeche Mode.
I don’t have the all black clothes anymore, but I still have the music.

Remembering a time when I was almost kind of cool. Kinda. (OK, not really)
I used to run to Depeche Mode when I was a young airman in England. Seems I nearly always hit 'Blasphemous Rumours' on a downhill section - thinking that if I fell I'd sound like the pots and pans going down the stairs brought a grin. ;)

ETA...damn, Huck - that certainly shook some memories loose. Nineteen years old, first time across the pond...cold war...training to 'survive and operate' in the event of nukes or a chem/bio attack...reading Steven King's The Stand...and running to Depeche Mode...the things nightmares are made of. :lol:

I haven't been able to Morey Amsterdam's "Saloon" out of my head for days! GRRRR!
"Saloon, saloon, saloon!
It runs through my brain like a tune.
I don't like café
And I hate cabaret.
But just say, 'Saloon' and my cares fade away.
'Cuz it brings back a fond recollection
of a little old friendly room.
Of a bar and a rail
A spittoon and a pail.
Saloon! Saloon! Saloon!"

Now y'all are stuck with it!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

We have this oddball FM station here that I found by accident. Other people have "found" it, too. They play all kinds of music from the 80s, 90s, and up - but nothing you would generally hear on commercial stations. They have no commercials. It is bizarre. It seems to be only used for live sporting events (everything from HS football to MLS and college basketball). When there is no sportsball broadcast, they just play "alternative" music (not the commercially labeled alternative music, though). We also have an OG station that plays 80s and 90s hip-hop/rap. I often only need to swap between the two stations to find good songs (when NPR is playing classical). It is a good way to hear music I haven't heard in years, and it is almost always good music.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:29 pm We have this oddball FM station here that I found by accident. Other people have "found" it, too. They play all kinds of music from the 80s, 90s, and up - but nothing you would generally hear on commercial stations. They have no commercials. It is bizarre. It seems to be only used for live sporting events (everything from HS football to MLS and college basketball). When there is no sportsball broadcast, they just play "alternative" music (not the commercially labeled alternative music, though). We also have an OG station that plays 80s and 90s hip-hop/rap. I often only need to swap between the two stations to find good songs (when NPR is playing classical). It is a good way to hear music I haven't heard in years, and it is almost always good music.
If it's at the low end of the dial it could be a college or "pirate" station. Some public radio stations do stuff like that too...always at the low end of the dial.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:35 pm
K9s wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:29 pm We have this oddball FM station here that I found by accident. Other people have "found" it, too. They play all kinds of music from the 80s, 90s, and up - but nothing you would generally hear on commercial stations. They have no commercials. It is bizarre. It seems to be only used for live sporting events (everything from HS football to MLS and college basketball). When there is no sportsball broadcast, they just play "alternative" music (not the commercially labeled alternative music, though). We also have an OG station that plays 80s and 90s hip-hop/rap. I often only need to swap between the two stations to find good songs (when NPR is playing classical). It is a good way to hear music I haven't heard in years, and it is almost always good music.
If it's at the low end of the dial it could be a college or "pirate" station. Some public radio stations do stuff like that too...always at the low end of the dial.
We are a pretty big city with a lot of public radio and college stations. This one is in the middle (97.7) and never advertised on billboards. It is owned by a classic rock station, I assume, because that is the only ad that ever runs on it (once an hour an ad tells you to try the other station). Sometimes it doesn't broadcast during the business day. I think there must be some other story behind it, but I don't know what it is. I just found that it has a web site, too, and is available online or via TuneIn.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/commen ... the_river/
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

First album of the year (but not Album of the Year). Have a new resolution that started in 2019 where I listen to 365 albums in one year, and I am going through FNM's discography to start off strong.
"See, chess doesn't prepare you for this. You can't say that a rook and three pawns flanked your knight but he laid down suppressing fire and punched through them anyway. You get disqualified if you try that."