today i went to the gun show

not really sure where to put this, but it was entertaining, so entertainment it is.
same show i got my trapdoor last year at, so expectations were low, hopes were high. the usual emphasis on plastic and compact pistols and ar15s in every imaginable color and configuration. but there were a few gems.
i was hoping for some bulk 30-06, but no luck. the greek spam cans are all gone apparently. i can do better at wally world. same for 5.56. in general, prices on everything were moderate to high. the refreshing thing was, and i mentioned this to a couple of patrons, gun shows are not just about old white guys any more. adapt or die.
but all was not lost - i found a webley (enfield) #2 mk1 with holster in some variety of .38 for sale, man said he'd let me have it for $440, which from minimal research is reasonable or better. i wanted it immediately. bore and exterior condition is very good, shot not much if at all, not even holster wear. no hammer spur, so DAO. some collector had it before, filled in the lettering with whiteout or paint, i'm fine with that. so unless you guys tell me it's a mistake i'm going to find my pistol purchase permit and go back tomorrow and get it.
also got 2 tapco removable duckbill mags for an sks. may try for the other two tomorrow. $10 each. 20 rounders, i think.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: today i went to the gun show

Nice. Yes, get the Wobbly. It's probably 38-200, which is 38 S&W (not Special). Cases are readily available from Starline and dies from Lee. Bullet dia is .360, but .358 hollow base wadcutters do pretty well since the skirts expand. Matt's bullets and others make the proper .360 round nose bullet for it too.

I forget what the deal is with the duckbills needing a bolt modification for some function or other?

Marlene wrote:Nice. Yes, get the Wobbly. It's probably 38-200, which is 38 S&W (not Special). Cases are readily available from Starline and dies from Lee. Bullet dia is .360, but .358 hollow base wadcutters do pretty well since the skirts expand. Matt's bullets and others make the proper .360 round nose bullet for it too.

I forget what the deal is with the duckbills needing a bolt modification for some function or other?
good, i was hoping someone would say that.

tapco thoughtfully molded "bolt must be open to insert or remove magazine" into them. the vendor told me i have to remove the stock magazine to use them. and their current ad says the opening in the stock must be widened with a file.

I also went to a gun-show today. As you noted, prices were not so great. I was able to handle an original 1849 .31 caliber pocket pistol, and a two band enfield; but both were more than I wanted to spend. However, I did leave with new in box Pietta 1860 Army revolver for $200. I picked up a couple of holsters too.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

Hasaf wrote:I also went to a gun-show today. As you noted, prices were not so great. I was able to handle an original 1849 .31 caliber pocket pistol, and a two band enfield; but both were more than I wanted to spend. However, I did leave with new in box Pietta 1860 Army revolver for $200. I picked up a couple of holsters too.
that's a great deal. i paid more than that for my armi san marco, used, 20 years ago.
Last edited by lurker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

argh! i was all set to go back to the show and buy the webley (apparently it's actually an enfield) and i couldn't find my state-issued Pistol Purchase Permit. i looked everywhere and it's nowhere to be found. :evilmad:
i'll go to the sheriff's office and apply for another, takes about 2 weeks. i've got the man's card, when the permit comes or i find the old one i'll go see if he still has the pistol. :evilmad:
the worst of it is, i dimly remember handling it about two weeks ago. which means it will magically reappear after i don't need it. :kickself: :i'madumbass: