Houston Pride Parade

I need some advise. I am supporting my step daughter and am going to march with her Saturday in the Houston Pride Parade. As this will be my first foray into such an event, I was wondering about attire. I don't have any flamboyant wardrobe choices. Looking through the pictures of previous events, the brighter the better. Would it be in bad taste to wear a Liberal Gun Club Shirt?
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Re: Houston Pride Parade

Get one of those Rainbow afro wigs, a bright pink t-shirt and electric yellow pants, or wear a lot of leather...but it may attract Bears.
I'd leave the Gun Club shirt at home unless you know the Pink Pistols are in attendance.
PrideFest Milwaukee is always a big event.

A Liberal Gun Club shirt? I must have missed the memo! :yes:
Last edited by MaxwellG on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

I'd recommend you just dress comfortably wearing regular clothes. Sure, flamboyant dress is a traditional part of the parade, but there's no rule that says LGBT people and friends can't also look like regular people. Sometimes the most powerful statement of support for LGBT people is just showing that we are normal.

But Marlene probably has the best advice - ask your daughter. Maybe she'd be embarrased by you getting dressed up, or maybe she'd be really excited by it. If you are there to support her, then her opinion is what should count for the most.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Ask you daughter is the best advice. But my recommendation is to wear a t-shirt that says in big letters, "Proud Dad of a Lesbian Daughter." After the March, find the PFLAG booth and join them and get involved.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

It's Texas, it's hot, wear comfortable clothes. Be colorful if you want, but I'm pretty sure your daughter appreciates your support no matter what you wear.

Last year we rode with a LGBT bike group, so we decorated our bicycles. This year my daughter is riding a camel in Pride at the request of a family friend. It's a celebration, enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback. All of you.

Of coarse I was going to ask her, I am not the evil step father that would go out of my way to embarrass her.

I do like the idea of finding a booth and getting something befitting of the event. You know, some parade swag if you will.
I am not a small man, so anything I am wearing is going to be a giant billboard.

She's a great kid and I am very proud of the person she has grown up to be.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

eelj wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 am I found this article this morning in counterpunch, https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/06/22 ... e-parades/ I figured this was a a good thread to post it in.
The author is right, the LGBT put a lot of effort into overturning "Don't Ask-Don't Tell" and legalizing same-sex marriage, but only a small number of LGBT are in the military or are married. ENDA and other civil rights laws protect the whole community and right now those are state-by-state protections not a federal law. Best estimates are that LGBT are 4% of of the population, so kudos to you and others straight-allies who support the LGBT community.

Pride is in June to commemorate the Stonewall Riots in NYC in June 1969. Stonewall was an unlicensed bar owned and run by the mafia that catered to LGBT, the mob used it to gather blackmail material on LGBT patrons.
The Stonewall Inn, it must be said, did have its fair share of Mafia connections and questionable drinks policies. However, on the night of 27th, those breaches were eclipsed by the dramatic turn in events. Instead of complying with the police, drinkers in the bar started to resist.

Shouts of “Gay Power” began to erupt in the street outside. Customers started throwing coins, bottles and other missiles at the police. The lesbians and drag queens defied the intimidation, choosing to instead linger in the doorway, whipping up the crowd. Fires were started. According to Craig Rodwell, quoted in an article by Lionel Wright, “A number of incidents were happening simultaneously. There was no one thing that happened or one person, there was just… a flash of group, of mass anger.” As news of the fracas spread across the city, the group of angry demonstrators swelled, until the police were forced to take refuge in the empty bar.

“I had been in combat situations,” Detective Inspector Pine is quoted by Wright as saying. “But there was never any time that I felt more scared than then.” The crowd, which was made up of all shades of the LGBT community, flocked to Christopher Street to take part in this revolutionary act of defiance. Although the police, backed up the Tactical Patrol Force, tried several times to break up the crowd, they were outwitted by rioters who would simply disperse, regroup and attack from a different direction.

The violence in Greenwich continued for more than three nights, with members of the LGBT using the riots as an opportunity to distribute leaflets and information. And so, it is argued, the Gay Liberation Movement was born. The Gay Liberation Front in America was formed in the wake of the riots to protest against the social oppression of the LGBT community.
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/06/28/f ... -movement/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan