Damnation

1931 Iowa farmers rebel against their exploitation by bankers, union busters, Pinkerton agents, and corrupt officials.
Led by a preacher (who’s not really a preacher) intent on starting The Revolution, this series has a class war aspect
that’s unusual in a commercial production. Several scenes taken from actual labor history detail how company backed thugs would foment violence as an excuse for brutal state suppression to “restore law and order”. On Netflix.

Re: Damnation

Burned through the whole first season. I watched the first two episodes when USA released them on their web page a while back.

Best comment my wife made was 'I think they made this show specifically for you, eh?' :D
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Thanks a bunch, another addictive series for me be glued to!!!!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

highdesert wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:46 am Started watching it but never got into it, maybe it was the slow pace. Did it get a second season?
I don’t find it slow. I like the character development punctuated by plot driven violence. (But I like BBC dramas too...)
Just the one season before it was cancelled. I’m guessing it hit a little too close to home for comfort, much like other cancelled series that had a bit too much truth in them (Firefly, Jericho, etc.). Here is its Wiki page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnation_(TV_series)
According to creator and showrunner Tony Tost, Damnation is "1/3 Clint Eastwood, 1/3 John Steinbeck, 1/3 James Ellroy. That is, it takes some characters you’d normally see in a tough western, plops them in the world of Grapes of Wrath, and places them in the sort of pulpy paranoid narrative you see in Ellroy’s novels." [4]

HuckleberryFun wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:55 am
highdesert wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:46 am Started watching it but never got into it, maybe it was the slow pace. Did it get a second season?
I don’t find it slow. I like the character development punctuated by plot driven violence. (But I like BBC dramas too...)
Just the one season before it was cancelled. I’m guessing it hit a little too close to home for comfort, much like other cancelled series that had a bit too much truth in them (Firefly, Jericho, etc.). Here is its Wiki page:

According to creator and showrunner Tony Tost, Damnation is "1/3 Clint Eastwood, 1/3 John Steinbeck, 1/3 James Ellroy. That is, it takes some characters you’d normally see in a tough western, plops them in the world of Grapes of Wrath, and places them in the sort of pulpy paranoid narrative you see in Ellroy’s novels." [4]
Thanks Huck, I'll have to try it again, I'm a big fan of James Ellroy (LA Confidential). The gods only know why series get canceled, I've seen so many that were "wrongly" ended. Also on Netflix is "Bodyguard" (BBC and Netflix) very fast paced and will have a season 2 plus others.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks Huck, I'll have to try it again, I'm a big fan of James Ellroy (LA Confidential). The gods only know why series get canceled, I've seen so many that were "wrongly" ended. Also on Netflix is "Bodyguard" (BBC and Netflix) very fast paced and will have a season 2 plus others.
Bodyguard is good. I enjoyed that one. Guns, bombs, and plot twists with an English accent. What’s not to like?
Also, the protagonist Special Branch bodyguard bloke is very easy on the eyes. 8-)

HuckleberryFun wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:05 pm
highdesert wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:21 pm

Bodyguard is good. I enjoyed that one. Guns, bombs, and plot twists with an English accent. What’s not to like?
Also, the protagonist Special Branch bodyguard bloke is very easy on the eyes. 8-)
LOL - Richard Madden with his Glaswegian accent, is good in it. He was in La La Land recently for interviews as Bodyguard rolled out on Netflix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MPXo_Q7F0

Jed Mercurio the creator, trained as a physician and an RAF pilot. His "Line of Duty" series is on Netflix, four seasons. They finished filming the fifth and green lit for the sixth.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'll look for this.

Almost every part of the U.S. has a recent history of radical Left grassroots organizing and action. This has been almost entirely written out of our collective history.

I am in favor of anything that helps people understand what their hell-raising great-grandparents were up to, especially in slavish Trump-loving states.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Yeah I agree, Elmo, this series is timely for reminding us about a time when poor and suffering workers in America organized and were considered dangerous by the so called bosses.

I wonder where the derogatory term “Snowflake” fits here? Ummmm... maybe, “Nowhere?”
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I agree, most of TV is "made up stories" with few facts, when they do it's one person not a movement. We've probably seen more PBS documentaries on this topic than anything on commercial TV. Reminds me again of Thomas Frank's "What's the Matter with Kansas?" I'd like to see a series on what modern workers owe to the labor movement such as the end of child labor, the 40 hour week....

:laugh:
Binged it, eh?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

made me want to go shoot my gun up in the air!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

If show cancelled, that sucks. The ending left everyone hanging. What a load of bullshit!! Enjoyed the show as weird as it was at times - have to admit Sarah Jones helped made in palatable.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:47 am If show cancelled, that sucks. The ending left everyone hanging. What a load of bullshit!! Enjoyed the show as weird as it was at times - have to admit Sarah Jones helped made in palatable.
The producers probably didn't know until six months later that it wasn't "renewed" for another season. Sometimes they surprise you, recently watched a series "Dark Heart" made in 2016 as two segments (episodes) and that was the end. In 2018 I found it was brought back as a six part series, the original two and four episodes added. The Swedish series "Beck" has been going on since 1998, but not consistently and some years it's two, four or eight episodes. There is so much out there - commercial TV, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Stars and then the streaming services - Netflix, Amazon ..... great time if you're an actor. It may not be the end of "Damnation".

I was extremely upset with AMC when they dropped Longmire. Was happy when Netflix picked it up, then pissed when they ended it, again, as I thought it still had much to tell. Currently I'm talking with a slight English/Irish/Australian accent I've binged so many of their series. Particularly enjoyed 'The Tunnel' and hope it continues on.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.