Re: Favorite music

Classic Rock, if that isn’t an oxymoron,LED Zeppelin is better than Pink Floyd, Classical, smooth Jazz, NOLA Jazz,Dixieland, R&B, Big Band swing, pop music 50s 60s &70s, early C&W, classic Country, Celtic, Western Cowboy, Latin, Folk.

Just about anything but Rap and hip hop.

I have become my father in that sense. It doesn’t do anything but grate on my hearing aides.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Anything I'm enjoying at the moment it's playing, from Mozart to Jazz, Fusion, Country, Folk, Prog Rock, Glam Rock, Hard Rock, big-band, Blues, Reggae, Salsa, Mambo, Samba, etc.; other than most opera, most hip-hop, most torch-singers (except Nat King Cole and Tony Bennett), and all Lawrence Welk-type brain-dead.

I do have a particular fondness for Scarlatti's sonatas, and Liszt's variations on Paganini, as well as Bernstein's Candide.
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Reggae (Adrian Sherwood, LKJ, King Tubby) ,Classic Country (Johnny Cash-Marty Robbins - Farin Young - Merle Haggard, Jazz and Big Band (Bossa Nova, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra), David Byrne.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

I like bluegrass music more than anything else, but I used to play a lot of different kinds. One of my favorite gigs was doing chamber music ensemble (four recorders and continuo) doing late renaissance and early baroque stuff at this one fancy-schmancy restaurant during Sunday Champagne Brunch. I also did commercial Country and even top forty but that was long ago. I like opera, but stuff by Verdi and Mozart; Wagner is a bit too much.

Classic rock, Jethro Tull, Celtic, folk, pre 1970 country, I used to like bluegrass, but I dug down to the roots of it with Old Time music, and of course blues.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Let's liven up this thread with some actual examples. I mentioned I like Scandavian folk music. Here's a band from Finland called Gjallarhorn performing "Suvetar", which is essentially a hymn to the goddess of spring.

106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

It all depends on my mood and what I'm doing. If my wife and I are dancing, I want a constant changing variety: Mambo, Salsa, Cha-Cha, Rumba, Waltz, 2-step, Marengue, Swing, etc.
Otherwise? It depends on my mood. Downloaded, rather than bought a CD or LP for the first time, ever: Santana's latest "Africa Speaks". Most original and fascinating stuff from him in a while.
I like bluegrass (see above) but don't care much for country or rap....but I've yet to hear a genre in which there wasn't SOMETHING good--except maybe death metal (is that a genre?) You know, stuff all about hating--what I'd expect the young nazis to listen to. Oh, and "Christian Rock" which seems like a totally oxymoronic concept and has since I knew a guy who played in a Christian Rock band in 1977!

LOVE Latin music!

Not a huge fan of opera, though there are bits and pieces that are amazing, or show tunes (ugh!) But I enjoy most classical from William Byrd to John Cage. And I grew up on the folk revival--my dad heard Woody Guthrie, The Almanacs, Leadbelly, and all the other greats of that era. I did hear Josh White when I was 9 and he was near the end of his life. Saw Pete Seeger more times than I remember. Saw Joan Baez singing off the back of a truck in Lafayette Park across from the White House when I was 10--1965.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Eris wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:45 pm Let's liven up this thread with some actual examples. I mentioned I like Scandavian folk music. Here's a band from Finland called Gjallarhorn performing "Suvetar", which is essentially a hymn to the goddess of spring.
Lovely. Blessed be!

Eris wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:45 pm Let's liven up this thread with some actual examples. I mentioned I like Scandavian folk music. Here's a band from Finland called Gjallarhorn performing "Suvetar", which is essentially a hymn to the goddess of spring.

no way i could play one but i am very fond of kalimba. soothing.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I'm usually a big fan of surf/instrumental. Dick Dale (old and new), Mermen, Los Straitjackets, M...oA, etc.
I'm generally an instrumental guy, but Courtney Barnett cheers me up when I feel shitty about my job...
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

RotaryMags wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:53 am I'm usually a big fan of surf/instrumental. Dick Dale (old and new), Mermen, Los Straitjackets, M...oA, etc.
I'm generally an instrumental guy, but Courtney Barnett cheers me up when I feel shitty about my job...
I posted this in the what song are you listening to right now thread. But when you mentioned surf and Dick Dale, I thought you might be interested in hearing Mitch Polzak. He's a guitarist that leads the group Mitch Polzak and the Royal Deuces. He is putting on solo Facebook shows during the lockdown on Tuesdays and Fridays. Free but he has a tip jar. Tuesdays are his banjo bonanza. Fridays are guitar. His style is classic country, bluegrass, surf, American Roots music, rockabilly, honky tonk, you get the idea. Today, June 19th, 2020,it's a Waylon Jennings tribute. I've seen him live in SF and know his regular drummer. Mitch is a nice guy. He is even the mayor of Porta Costa, CA.

Here's a video from his show Friday June 12th, 2020. 3 hours solo!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/mitch.polzak/v ... 879990541/

My most common music search ends up with what my kids called "dinosaur rock." Stuff like Santana, Grand Funk, Led Z, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Motown; stuff from the 60s and 70s. When the urge hits me I also really enjoy the big band music from the WWII era and classical.

You can usually date someone by the music they like. It is my theory that you end liking the type of music you were listening to when you got your first french kiss, or perhaps the first time you got laid; usually periods of time that are not widely separated.

I can not tolerate country music as if find the lyrics depressing and the tunes too damn repetitious, steel guitars grate on my nerves, but neither do I like pointed toed boots, string ties or Stetson hats, or generally the people who wear them. There is some highbrow jazz that I do not like. The main exposure I have had to Hip-hop is from the cars sitting close to me in traffic, but what I hear, I don't care for.