If Jules Verne had read Karl Marx....

then sat down to write The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, he still wouldn't have matched the invention and exuberance of Robert Charles Wilson's Julian Comstock.

So reads the jacket. The book is fantastic. Its a steampunk George Orwell. Its the 22nd century and the world has long ago ran out of oil. This chronicles the life of a pair of unlikely friends - giving us insight into the world Robert Charles Wilson envisions we might just leave behind. I enjoyed it. You might as well if you liked 1984. Check out Cory Doctorow's review here:

http://boingboing.net/2009/06/24/julian ... robe.html8
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Re: If Jules Verne had read Karl Marx....

mark wrote:then sat down to write The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, he still wouldn't have matched the invention and exuberance of Robert Charles Wilson's Julian Comstock.

So reads the jacket. The book is fantastic. Its a steampunk George Orwell. Its the 22nd century and the world has long ago ran out of oil. This chronicles the life of a pair of unlikely friends - giving us insight into the world Robert Charles Wilson envisions we might just leave behind. I enjoyed it. You might as well if you liked 1984. Check out Cory Doctorow's review here:

Huh. If you like the steampunk, I'm an author with a few pieces in the genre. The newest edition of Kaleidotrope has a short where I used Tesla, like you do. One of my fave short pieces, ever. I also sold a piece that I co-authored with Lisa Mantchev to Weird Tales, and it ended up in their anthology, Steampunk II.

Oh hey, I might not have mentioned before that I'm an author. Heya! Most of my stuff is dark fantasy/horror, but I do dabble in steampunk because it's just so fun.
Two Lumps!

flemco wrote:
mark wrote:then sat down to write The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, he still wouldn't have matched the invention and exuberance of Robert Charles Wilson's Julian Comstock.

Huh. If you like the steampunk, I'm an author with a few pieces in the genre. The newest edition of Kaleidotrope has a short where I used Tesla, like you do. One of my fave short pieces, ever. I also sold a piece that I co-authored with Lisa Mantchev to Weird Tales, and it ended up in their anthology, Steampunk II.

Oh hey, I might not have mentioned before that I'm an author. Heya! Most of my stuff is dark fantasy/horror, but I do dabble in steampunk because it's just so fun.

cool.. .i will check it out.

not on kindle? that sucks. i prefer paper but do sometimes use digital formats - i can completely understand the benefit of them.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Here is one of my favorite passages. Note that I don't think of this as disparaging of Christ or God in any way, but more a poke at humans.

But I had told her other things about my friends and my adventures with them. She looked squarely at Julian and said, "You like to tell Bible stories.”

Julian was uncomfortable---as he often was in the presence of women and seemed not to know how to respond. He swallowed repeatedly, his Adam's apple bobbing in his throat. “Ah, well ... do I?"
“According to Adam. Bible stories of your own invention. Most of them blasphemous.”
“Perhaps Adam exaggerates.”
‘Tell me one,” Calyxa said, as the carriage rattled down the gloomy, windy street, and a small rain began to fall. Her gaze drifted to the window of the carriage. "Tell me an Easter story, if you know one.”

I didn't like the trend of this conversation. Julian's apostasies were often shocking to the uninitiated, and I had hoped Calyxa would get to know him better before he trained the cannon of his Agnosticism on her at close range. But Julian liked a challenge; and I think he was charmed by Calyxa's boldness and directness.
He cleared his throat. “Well , let me see." The overhead lantern teetered on its gimbals. Rain drummed on the carriage-roof, and Julian's breath hung visibly in the chill air. "God created the world-"
“That's starting a long way back,” Calyxa said.
“Perhaps it is; but do you want to hear this story or not?"
“I beg your pardon. Continue.”
“ln the beginning God created the world," Julian said, “and set it turning;
and let events transpire without much in the way of personal intervention. He stage-managed a few tribal disputes, and arranged a misguided Flood that cost many lives and solved very few problems; but in the end He decided the human race was too corrupt to be salvaged, and too pathetic to destroy, and so He stopped tinkering with it, and left it alone.

“But humanity, on the whole, was conscious of its fallen condition, and went on petitioning God for unearned gifts or the redress of grievances. All this badgering, in God's eyes, amounted to a lament for lost innocence-a nostalgia for the abandoned paradise that was Eden. 'Make us innocent again,' humanity cried out, 'or at least send innocence among us, to Serve as an example.”

“God was skeptical. 'You wouldn't recognize Innocence if it handed you a calling card,' He said to humanity, 'and Goodness exceeds your grasp with the regularity of clockwork. Look for these things where you find them, and leave Me alone.'

“But the prayers never ceased, and God couldn't indefinitely ignore all that grief and lamentation, which lapped at the walls of Heaven like a noxious tide. 'All right,' H e said at last, 'I've heard your noise, and I'll give you what you want.' So He fathered a child by a virgin-in fact a married virgin, for God was fond of miracles, and for a woman to be simultaneously a wife, a virgin, and a mother seemed like a miracle with compound interest accrued. And so in the fullness of time a child was born-innocent, bereft of sin, invulnerable to temptation, and good-hearted down to the very marrow of him. 'Make of him what you will,' God said grimly, and stood back with His arms folded”

(I tried to evaluate Calyxa's reaction to these blasphemies. She kept her face motionless, but her eyes were attentive and unblinking. The rain came down stiffly, and the wheels of passing carts made a muted sound in the dusk.)

“A quarter-century or so went by," Julian continued. “And eventually that child of God was returned to his Creator-scorned, insulted, beaten, humiliated, and finally nailed to a splintery cross and suspended in the Galilean sunshine until he died of his wounds hoth physical and spiritual.

“God received this much-abused gift by return mail, as it were, and He
was ferociously scornful, and said to humanity, 'See what you do with Innocence? See what you make of Love and Goodwill when it looks you in the eye?' And so saying He turned His back on Mankind, and determined never to speak to the human race again, or have any other dealings with it. “

“And even this," Julian said, “might have been a useful lesson, taken as such; but Man misunderstood his own chastening, and imagined that his sins had been forgiven, and put up effigies of the tortured demigod and the instrument on which he had been broken, and marked the event every Easter with a church service and a colorful hat. And as God made Himself deaf to Man, so Man became deaf to God; and our prayers languished in the dead air of our cavernous churches, and do so to this day."

The carriage was silent in the aftermath of this crude and frankly blasphemous narrative. Sam sighed and stared out into the rain. The vehicle's springs creaked as we bounced over wet cobblestones, a sound that reminded me of the creaking rope where Job Blake had been hung. Julian looked at Calyxa boldly, if a little apprehensively, while she pondered her response.

"That's a fine story,” she said finally. “I like that story very much-thank you, Julian. I hope you'll tell me another one some day." She essayed a smile. “Perhaps I'll make up one of my own, now that you've shown me how."

It was Julian's turn to gawk in astonishment. He slowly took the measure of Calyxa's sincerity. Then he grinned-perhaps the first genuine grin I had seen on him since the Saguenay Campaign.

“You're welcome!” he said. Then he turned his grin on me. "You married well, Adam! Congratulations!"

“Oy," said Sam, in the cryptic language of the Jews.
- Lord Byron